SUMMER SEVENTEEN II

We Were Liars (ON HOLD)

 

 


 

 

THE LIARS DON'T come to the dock when we pull in, and neither do Aunt Bess and Grandad. Instead, it is only the littles; Hyo and Sooyoung, Yoona and Yuri.

          The boys, both ten, kick one another and wrestle around. Sooyoung runs over and grabs my arm. I pick him up and spin him. He is surprisingly light, like he is made of bird parts. "You feeling better?" I ask.

          "We have ice cream bars in the freezer!" he yells. "Three different kinds!"

          "Seriously, Soo. You were a mess on the phone last night. Now you're screaming because of food? Really?"

          "Was not."

          "Were too."

          "Tiffany read me a story. Then I went to sleep. No big whup."

          I ruffle his honey hair. "It's just a house. Lots of houses seem scary at night, but in the morning, they're friendly again."

          "We're not staying in Cuddledown anyway," Sooyoung says. "We moved to New Clairmont with Grandad now."

          "You did?"

          "We have to be orderly there and not act like the idiots we are. We took our stuff already. And Hyo caught three jellyfish at the big beach and also a dead crab. Will you come see them?"

          "Sure."

          "He has the crab in his pocket, but the jellies are in a bucket of water," says Sooyoung, and runs off.

 


 

MUMMY AND I walk across the island to Windemere, a short distance on a wooden walkway. The twins, YoonYul, help with our suitcases.

          Grandad and Aunt Bess are in the kitchen. There are wildflowers in vases on the counter, and Bess scrubs a clean sink with a Brillo pad while Grandad reads the Martha's Vineyard Times.

          Bess is softer than her sisters, and blonder, but still the same mold. She's wearing white jeans and a navy blue cotton top with diamond jewelry. She takes off rubber gloves and then kisses Mummy and hugs me too long and too hard, like she is trying to hug some deep and secret message. She smells of bleach and wine.

          Grandad stands up but doesn't cross the room until Bess is done hugging. "Hello there, Tiffany," he says jovially. "Grand to see you."

          "He's doing that a lot," Carrie says to me and Mummy. "Calling people Tiffany who aren't Tiffany."

          "I know she's not Tiffany," Grandad says.

          The adults talk amongst themselves, and I am left with the twins. They look awkward in Crocs and summer dresses. They must be almost fourteen now. They have Tiffany's strong legs and eyes but their faces are pinched. Yuri might be slightly darker. Just slightly. But she stills represents a Jung.

          "Your hair is brown," says Yuri. "You look like a dead vampire."

          "Yuri!" Yoona smacks her.

          "I mean, that's redundant because all vampires are dead," says Yuri. "But they have the circles under their eyes and the white skin, like you do."

          "Be nice to Jessica," whispers Yoona. "Mom told us."

          "I am being nice," says Yuri. "A lot of vampires are extremely y. That's a documented fact."

          "I told you I didn't want you talking about creepy dead stuffs this summer," says Yoona. "You were bad enough last night." She turns to me. "Yuri's obsessed with dead things. She's reading books about them all the time and then she can't sleep. It's annoying when you share a room." Yoona says all this without ever looking me in th eyes.

          "I was talking about Jessica's hair," says Yuri.

          "You don't have to tell her she looks dead."

          "It's okay," I tell Yuri. "I don't actually care what you think, so it's perfectly okay."