WELCOME XII

We Were Liars (ON HOLD)

 


 

 

ONE NIGHT, LATE July of summer fifteen, I went swimming at the tiny beach. Alone.

          Where were Taeyeon, Minho, and Tiffany?

          I don't really know.

          We had been playing a lot of Scrabble at Red Gate. They were probably there. Or they could have been at Clairmont, listening to the aunts argue and eating beach plum jam on water crackers.

          In any case, I went into the water wearing a camisole, bra, and underwear. Apparently, I walked down to the beach wearing nothing more. We never found any of my clothes on the sand. No towel, either.

          Why?

          Again, I don't really know.

          I must have swum out far. There are big rocks in off the shore, craggy and black; they always look villainous in the dark of the evening. I must have had my face in the water and then hit my head on one of these rocks.

          Like I said, I don't know.

          I remember only this: I plunged down into the ocean, down to rocky rocky bottom, and I could see the base of Beechwood Island and my arms and legs felt numb but my fingers were cold. Slices of seaweed went past as I fell.

          Mummy found me on the sand, curled into a ball and half underwater. I was shivering uncontrollably. Adults wrapped me in blankets. They tried to get me warm at Cuddledown. They fed me tea and gave me clothes, but when I didn't talk or stop shivering, they brought me to a hospital on Martha's Vineyard, where I stayed for several days as doctors ran tests. Hypothermia, respiratory problems, and most likely some kind of head injury, though the brain scans turned up nothing.

          And still no sign of Taeyeon.

          My Taengoo.

          Had she left?

          Mummy stayed by my side, got a hotel room. I remember the sad, gray faces of Aunt Carrie, Aunt Bess, and Grandad. I remember my lungs felt full of something, long after the doctors judged them clear. I remember I felt like I'd never get warm again, even when they told me my body temperature was normal. My hands hurt. My feet hurt.

          My heart hurts.

          Mummy took me home to Vermont to recuperate. I lay in bed in the dark and felt desperately sorry for myself. Because I was sick, and even more because Taeyeon never called.

          She didn't write, either.

          Weren't we in love?

          Weren't we?

          I wrote to Minho, two or three stupid, lovesick emails asking him to find out about Taeyeon.

          Minho had the good sense to ignore them all. We are Jungs, after all, and Jungs do not behave like how I was behaving. 

          I stopped writing and deleted all the emails from my sent mail folder. They were weak and stupid.

          The bottom line is, Taeyeon bailed when I got hurt.

          The bottom line is, me and her, it was just a summer fling.

          The bottom line is, she might have loved Jace after all.

          We lived too far apart, anyways.

          Our families were too close, anyways.

          Were the lies I fed myself for my own comfort.

          I never got an explanation.

          I just know she left me.