Six (IV)

Everybody Deserves a Happy Ending.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yixing found his mother waiting for him at the door-way, a teasing grin plastered on her face. She grinned widely as he stepped in, puzzling him even more.

 

“Hello, mother,” he greeted her. “You seem happy, what’s the occasion?”

 

“I should be asking you that, my dear son,” she quipped.

 

“Me? Why?” He walked towards her with an amused smile; his mother was indeed a baffling old lady. He could never guess what was going on in that mind of hers. She’d always seem like she’s immersed in her own work but she’d have taken note of every single detail that was happening around her. And that had gotten him into trouble quite often during his childhood, when he tried to get away from doing his assigned chores. She believed that it was the only way of disciplining young children, by making them learn how to do things on their own but just like any other child, Yixing had hated it. He’d rather spend the time assembling his wooden plane.

 

“Don’t act innocent, Yixing. Your mother knows you very well and I happened to see you. Who was that charming young lady?”

She waggled her eye-brows, badgering the poor guy more.

 

Yixing, who was extremely flustered by his mother’s question, chose not to show it much for he knew it would subject him to endless teasing by his playful mother. He glanced at his mother again, although her face appeared drained with her deepened wrinkles, she seemed happy. And he knew it may have been with the prospect of him finding a plausible companion.

 

“Mother, please do not jump into conclusions,” he sighed, he couldn’t give his mother false hope.

 

His mother frowned at his answer, she had been quite excited to finally see her son with a young lady; she knew he would soon turn of marriageable age, it was always on her mind. Besides, it would be nice to have an addition to their small family.

 

“You can't hide anything from me, you little brat. Your lips would have fallen off your face with that wide grin of yours, when you were sending the girl off,” she nagged, huffing slightly.

 

Yixing chuckled at his mother’s behavior, she was so effortlessly endearing. He walked towards her to hug her stout frame from behind.

“My dear mother, please stop tormenting your poor son.” He laughed, causing the lady to swat his hand gently.

 

“Yixing,” she sighed as he held on to her tighter; he could be so affectionate and stubborn at the same time that she couldn’t stay mad at him any longer. “Your mother’s just worried about you, son. It would be nice to have someone around to support you,” she spoke while patting his arms gently.

“I’m getting older too and one day, I would have to leave you behind, to go be with your father.”

 

“Mother, stop it,” he scolded her softly. “You’re going to be around for another couple of decades, alright? So, stop saying such things.”

 

His mother smiled, squeezing his cheeks a little. Her hands quickly pulled off the small silver chain hanging on her neck to retrieve a small ring that had been looped around it.

 

“Mother!” Yixing sighed when he noticed what his mother was doing. The lady drew Yixing’s palm open to place the small embellishment on it.

 

“Your grandmother gave this ring to your father when he wished to ask for my hand in marriage. I want you keep it.”

 

“But mother,” Yixing protested. “I don’t really have anyone to marry. Besides, I cannot settle down now, I need to earn, keep some savings, only then could I support my wife, if I were to marry.”

 

“It doesn’t matter. The ring is yours now, Yixing. And when the time comes, maybe you’d find an owner for it.

Perhaps it would be the beautiful young lady I caught a glimpse of, just now,” his mother laughed as she got back to teasing a very flustered Yixing again.

 

 

∻∻∻

 

 

Michelle appeared more than shabby, with her puffed, red eyes and hair that had gone astray from the violent breeze. She pressed on the doorbell to Luhan’s house, shivering slightly from the cold. She was about to pull the over-sized coat closer when the door opened, revealing an elegant lady who barely appeared her age.

 

“To what do I owe this visit, Miss. Yang?” she inquired, her painted maroon lips stretching upwards on one side.

 

Michelle bowed slightly, hoping she didn’t appear too bedraggled. She knew how particular the woman in front of her was; she scrutinized everything so carefully that it scared her at times. The lady would never accept anything which was less than perfect, be it the way the furniture was organized in their mansion or the way people appeared.

 

“I apologize for intruding without any notice, Mrs. Lu. I just wanted to meet Luhan, if that was possible.”

 

Michelle had never really walked into Luhan’s house through the front-door, Luhan had always advised against it. At times, it made her feel that maybe, the latter was embarrassed of her and didn’t wish to show her off to his parents. But she had always decided not to think much of it. Perhaps, they were strict with the visitors. Now that she thought of it, Liling always seemed to mention how Luhan’s mother had been quite hospitable and cordial every time she visited. Liling could walk in through the front door whereas Michelle always had to sneak in.

 

Why was there a disparity? Weren’t they both the same? They both had been his friends since childhood, yet they weren’t treated in the same manner. Michelle had always grown up believing that they were equals but now it seemed as if she might have delusional.

 

“At this hour?” Mrs. Lu raised her eye-brow, as if judging the younger girl for even stepping out of her house so late. “Do you think it’s wise for girls to be seen roaming around the streets so late, Ms. Yang?”

 

Michelle bit her lips gently and looked down, not knowing what to say. If her own mother had asked her the same thing, she would have thrown a tantrum about how she could whatever she wanted. However, this was Luhan’s mother and she knew she would have to be in her good graces if she wished to be with her son in the future, which seemed like a far cry from the way the older lady spoke. It was quite evident that she disliked the younger girl and Michelle knew why. She wasn’t exactly a filial daughter that everyone adored; she was someone who was a constant trouble to her family.

 

Before Mrs. Lu could nag more, Luhan walked in, trying to figure out why Michelle had been at his door-step. She could have always sneaked in through his window, like she usually did.

 

“Michelle, what are you doing here?” he asked, hoping his mother would leave them be. Thankfully, the lady did and Luhan took this opportunity to drag Michelle to the garden in their backyard.

“Why did you have to knock on the door?” he asked, while dragging her to one of the wooden benches.

 

“Am I not allowed to? Liling always does,” Michelle retorted, sniffling slightly.

 

That was when Luhan noticed her swollen, reddened eyes. “Michelle, sweet-heart, have you been crying?” he asked worriedly.

 

He knew that Michelle liked to act as if she was strong, but inside she had been hurting. And he was the only one who was allowed to witness her vulnerable side and that made him feel special at times. But, at the same time, it made him feel burdened for the responsibility of taking care of her lay on his shoulders. He didn’t mind of course, she was his best friend after all. However, he didn’t know if that would work out well in the future, when he got married. No man’s wife would tolerate having a girl as her husband’s best friend especially someone as distraught as Michelle.

 

Michelle sobbed, biting her lips again to stop herself from crying. Luhan immediately pulled her in for a hug, caressing her back gently as she cried. He knew Michelle would eventually tell him what had happened once her crying ceased.

 

“I thought I could find Nana and everything would be okay.” She sniffled, yet again. “But it’s not going to be, Luha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter