Eight (III)

Everybody Deserves a Happy Ending.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Yixing caught sight of the familiar figure retreating from the garden. He quickened his pace to catch up with her. This was his only chance, he thought. He would probably never get to see her again, after this. He had to make his feelings known, that way he wouldn’t regret not telling her. He was ready to embrace the consequences; his mind screamed, warning him about the impending rejection he would face from the girl. He was a lowly ‘peasant’ in Michelle’s eyes, after all; he doubted if the girl had ever looked upon him as a man suitable to wed.

 

He supposed it was true when people said that they never chose whom to fall in love with, it simply happened. But he didn’t lose hope just yet; he would convey his feelings to the girl earnestly. And perhaps, if he were lucky enough, Michelle would sense his sincerity and give him a chance. However, if she didn’t, he wouldn’t take it the hard way, he would simply smile and move on, no matter how long it took him.

 

“Young Miss,” he called out to her, his heart beating rapidly against his rib-cage. Every step he took closer to her, the more he felt nervous. He recalled his mother’s words when he had confided in her. She had asked him to be courageous and let Michelle know about his true feelings and he was going to do exactly that. 

 

Michelle kept walking; her steps lurched as the harsh wind blew against her petite frame. The wedding seemed to be going on without a hitch, not one soul seemed to notice her absence. She could hear Yixing’s distant cries, calling out her name but she didn’t wish to turn back. He was probably going to drag her back inside, according to her father’s orders.

 

She was still coming to terms with the truth, Luhan and Liling were engaged, her sister was getting married and her parents were exceptionally happy. She had no role to play; she had no purpose to fulfill. She was just a lost soul who didn’t belong anywhere. She was unwanted, unloved and a burden to everyone around her.

 

She could run away from all of it if she wanted to, she could sell her jewelry that cost a fortune and settle down in a faraway place. She could do all of it if she wanted to, but she found no meaning behind it. What would she do anyway? She would be all alone in the new place too, she was meant for seclusion. She had no achievements to count on, she had done nothing but waste away her entire lifetime trying to find something that was unattainable- love. She was never meant to be loved, by anyone.

 

“Young Miss!” Yixing panted as he caught up with her. He trod forwards to block her way.

 

Michelle glared at him slightly before moving sideways to continue walking. Yixing immediately took a step sideways to block her path yet again.

 

“What do you want?” she asked softly. Normally, she would have yelled at him, she would have called him names but now she sounded rather tired and dejected. It made Yixing worry more; he had figured out that everything was a façade. It was a mask Michelle had managed to build up for herself, so she could hide behind it. She was just a broken girl, who had grown up without the love and warmth of a parent, he felt as if she had no choice but to be this way.

 

He had witnessed her vulnerable side at times; he wished the girl trusted him enough to open up to him. He wanted to console her and assure her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter