Seven (III)

Everybody Deserves a Happy Ending.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It had been a few days since Michelle had met Luhan or Liling; she hadn’t even left her room. She knew not to disregard her father’s words; she knew the consequences she would face. But, what about her happiness; she was certain it lay in marrying Luhan.

 

She could sense how every other person was against her- her father had blatantly refused, Luhan didn’t seem very keen and Yixing didn’t seem pleased either. Was that an indication that she should stop? She didn’t want to; it was the only thing that had kept her going through these years. She would often dream of a different life- a life where in she would be happy and married to person who knew her in and out.

 

She never had to hide anything from Luhan, he knew everything about her. With him she could let her guard down, she could be vulnerable, knowing that he’d be there to hold her and comfort her. Their relationship had progressed in to something distinct through these years. She clearly remembered the very first day she met him- he had smiled brightly at her, causing her to forget about her woes momentarily. She had been dismal from Nana’s sudden absence and she hadn’t known what to do or whom to talk to.

 

Although they never exchanged more than a few words, Luhan would always bring her his favorite bar of chocolate to share. And Michelle somehow knew she could trust him. Once they overcame their barriers, there was no stopping then. Michelle was more than ecstatic to tell him stories and whatever that came to her mind while Luhan was simply curious about everything she had to say.

 

 However, their roles reversed as they grew older, this time it was Luhan who’d narrate funny incidents from school while Michelle would smile softly as she listened to him. They spoke about anything and everything; it would be something trivial like the ingredients that went in a bar of chocolate or something profound like their futures.

 

It was when they turned older that they realized that there were both of opposite genders and they could have something more than friendship. Luhan had realized that first, he had started distancing himself from Michelle, and he had never really been that close to Liling. Their routine sleepovers had stopped; he didn’t play around with her as much as he did before. Michelle was confused with the sudden change in his behavior. She wondered if she had done something to put him off, was he going to leave her like Nana too.

One day, when she had had enough of it, she decided to confront him, but broke down in tears telling him that he’d leave her like Nana and she wouldn’t have anyone else. However, instead of consoling her he had laughed, which made her more puzzled.

 

He had pinched her red snotty nose, shaking his head.

“You’re so silly,” he had teased, “I’d never leave you. If anything, I’d always be your friend.”

 

Michelle had held out her little finger, making him promise to abide by his words. And when he had, she felt slightly relieved. Luhan, on the other hand, realized that staying away from wouldn’t be of any help.

 

He had only promised to remain her friend; he had never promised to marry her, had he? Pursing her lips tightly, she got off her bed to rummage through the drawers on one of the tables. She grew more and more frustrated when she couldn’t find whatever she had been looking for. She was about to slam her fist in annoyance, when her eyes caught sight of the small bottle with crystalline white pills.

 

∻∻∻

 

When Yixing came looking for her later, she had comfortably settled in a small, dusty spot under one of the tables. He immediately crouched down to her level, by kneeling on the floor.

 

“Michelle!” he exclaimed, “It’s ten in the morning, are you out of your mind?”

 

“Hello, Yixing,” she greeted, laughing merrily. Her gleaming brown eyes were blood-shot and her face flushed. “I’ve missed you,” she cooed, stretching her hand out for him to take.

 

“Must you stay under this table?” he sighed exasperatedly. He thought she was trying to reform herself. She hadn’t uttered much after the dinner that day, but she had given him a slight indication that she had wanted give up her reckless manners.

“I need to be more responsible,” she had said. He knew it was all to get Luhan’s parents’ seal of approval and he hadn’t been thrilled. But he was slightly content that she was trying to make something out of her life, rather than wasting it away by being intoxicated and out of her senses.

 

“Yes, this my throne and I’m the queen of the dusty carpets,” she proclaimed. He couldn’t help but crack a small smile, he didn’t know how her voice sounded to her but to him it sounded rather slurred.

 

There was no denying that Michelle was more amusing every time she was inebriated, she uttered the most ridiculous words ever. She would speak everything that was on her mind and sometimes it helped him to know more, because when sober, Michelle did nothing but hide everything from him. He knew she didn’t trust him much to open her heart to him, but he hoped she would.

 

“This isn’t good for your health, Michelle,” he sighed softly. “It’s easy to get addicted.”

 

“But, look at me, I feel great,” she exclaimed. “I feel great, I could do anything I wanted to, but I don’t want to get up,” she chuckled to herself, sniffling a little.

 

“What did you take?” he asked, placing a palm over the crown of head, so she wouldn’t hurt herself in the small, congested space.

 

“I don’t know,” she twisted her lips only to giggle again, “but I feel ecstatic.”

 

“Michelle!” he yelled. She was playing a dangerous game; it would have been so easy to overdose on these toxic substances. He was worried about her, he could see how she was left alone most of the times, she could have easily harmed herself. In the past two days, she hadn’t really been herself, she was lost in her own world and it scared him. He didn’t really know what she was going through but he knew something wasn’t right. He wished the girl would tell him, so he could help her.

 

“Here,” Michelle handed him the small bottle of pills, “these are wonderful, you should have some!”

 

Yixing immediately grabbed the bottle and shoved it insid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter