CHAPTER 42

LOVE WAITS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Present Day
 

 

 

“Come on, get up.”

 

Jessica groaned and rolled over, seeing nothing but darkness outside the windows.  “You’re kidding right?” she mumbled.
 

“No. I want to show you something.”
 

“Yuri, please. We just went to sleep. I’m exhausted.”
 

“I know. I was up with you, remember?”

 

Jessica opened her eyes again.  “How can you be so chipper?  We’ve had maybe two hours of sleep.”

 

“You’re the one who kept waking me up so that you could—”

 

Jessica covered Yuri’s mouth with her hand.  She knew perfectly well what she had done.  And the thought of it aroused her again, despite her exhaustion.  She reached for Yuri, trying to pull her down to her but Yuri resisted.

 

“Oh no you don’t,” Yuri said, standing up again.  “Up.  You’ve got to see this.”

 

Jessica groan again and sat up, rubbing her eyes.  Her stomach rumbled.  “Did we even eat last night?”

 

“No.”

 

“No wonder I’m starving. Are you trying to kill me?”
 

“Me? You’re the one—”

 

“Okay, okay,” Jessica said, holding her hand up, stopping her.  “So I got a little crazy last night.  It was just so perfect, and it felt so good to be with you.”
 

“Jessica, we can’t make up for twenty years in one night. We’ll kill each other.”

 

Jessica smiled, watching as Yuri’s gaze drifted to the windows.  The night sky was showing signs of light.  Dawn.
 

Yuri turned back to her. “We need to hurry.”

 

Finally Jessica understood.  The sunrise.  She nodded.  “Okay.”  She slipped into the shorts she’d discarded hours and hours ago then blindly put on a T-shirt that she immediately recognized as being Yuri’s.
 

“Looks good on you.”
 

Jessica followed Yuri into the living room. “Coffee?” she asked hopefully.
 

“Yep.”

 

Two mugs sat on the counter and Yuri filled them.  She searched through an unpacked box, pulling out a bag of brown sugar.  “Will this do?”
 

“Perfect.”
 

“You don’t do cream, right?”
 

“Right.”
 

“Good. Because I don’t have any. I haven’t done any shopping yet.”
 

“We can go together,” Jessica offered. She sipped from her coffee with a satisfied moan.
 

“Come on. I promise to take you out to breakfast later.”

 

They went out the back and down the stairs to the sand.  Yuri had a towel tucked under her arm and she led Jessica closer to the water.  Yuri stopped, looking back at the beach house, silently counting.
 

“What are you doing?”
 

“You’ll see.”

 

She walked three paces to the east, then handed Jessica her coffee so she could lay the towel out.  They sat side-by-side, quietly sipping their hot coffee, waiting for the day to come alive.  Jessica leaned her hea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter