CHAPTER 25

LOVE WAITS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Present Day

 

 

“This is heaven," Krystal said as she lazily drifted on her float in their parents’ pool.

 

“And judging by your pasty skin, you don’t get to experience it much.”

 

“And judging by your obnoxiously tan skin, you don’t work for a living.”

 

Jessica laughed.  “I work plenty.  I just choose to spend my free time outdoors.”

 

“And I prefer to spend my free time indoors with my husband,” Krystal shot back.  “Something you would know nothing about.”

 

Jessica splashed water on her.  “You spend your free time with your nose stuck in a book.  Your husband would be the first to tell us that.”

 

Krystal returned her splash.  “So, what’s with your love life?”

 

“What love life?”

 

“Mom says you’re seeing someone.  Faith”

 

“Oh God,” Jessica groaned.  “She told you?”

 

“Of course.  You dating anyone is big news.”

 

Jessica debated telling her the truth, deciding it would do no good to keep pretending Faith existed.

 

“You’re going to think I’m crazy.”

 

“Probably, yes.”

 

“You remember Kwon Yuri?”

 

“I should.  She spent nearly every weekend here with us.”

 

Jessica leaned her head back into the water.  “Oh, great,” she muttered.

 

“Great what?”

 

Jessica stared at her.  If she told about why she made up Faith, she’d be confessing to her affair with Yuri during high school.  That was something she wasn’t sure she wanted Krystal or her mother to know.

 

“What?” Krystal asked again.

 

“Look, promise me what I’m going to tell you, you will never tell Mom.”

 

“Jessica you’re nearly forty.  Is it necessary to still keep secrets from Mom?”

 

“Telling someone they’re nearly forty is not a compliment.  You know that, right?”

 

“Will you just tell me already.”

 

Jessica sighed.  “Well, it’s the reunion.  And the fact that Yuri was coming.”

 

“What about the reunion?”

 

“I assumed Yuri would be involve with someone, be in a relationship, and I didn’t want to be single.  So I made up Faith.”

 

Krystal stared at her, eyebrows raised.  “You made up a girlfriend?  Because of Yuri?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“You made up a girlfriend and you told Mom about her? Yeah, you’re crazy.”

 

“I only had to tell Mom because Yuri came over to the house.”

 

“And what does Yuri having a boyfriend have to do with you needing a girlfriend?”

 

Jessica rolled her eyes.  “I swear, for someone as smart as you are, you are clueless.”

 

“I’m pretty sure that wasn’t a compliment.”

 

“Yuri wouldn’t have a boyfriend, Krystal.”

 

“She’s married then?”

 

“No, she’s not married.”  Jessica waited, still seeing a blank look in Krystal’s eyes.  “Hello?  She’s gay.”

 

“Yuri?”

 

“Yes, Yuri.”

 

Finally, a glimmer of light, then her eyes widened.  “Yuri’s gay?  Then…oh my God,” she whispered.  “You and Yuri?”

 

Jessica nodded.  “Yes.”

 

“Oh my God!” she shrieked.  “Are you serious?”

 

Jessica glanced quickly to the house, hoping her mother wouldn’t come to investigate Krystal’s antics.  “Keep your voice down.”

 

“In high school?”

 

“Yes, in high school.”

 

“All those times she –“

 

“Yes.”

 

“Oh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter