CHAPTER 30

LOVE WAITS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Present Day

 

Yuri hesitated at the door, wondering if she should just leave.  Jessica’s car was gone so obviously she wasn’t home.  And seeing as it was after one in the afternoon, it should be obvious to her that Jessica didn’t want to see her today.

 

She knocked anyway.  If nothing else, she would get Jessica’s cell number from her mother.  Mrs. Jung opened the door with a smile, tugging Yuri inside.  “I’ve been expecting you all morning.”

 

Yuri frowned.  “You have?”

 

“It’s a bit early for cocktails but I have some sweet tea.  Will that do?”

 

Yuri nodded and followed her into the kitchen.  There was a white envelope on the counter with her name scribbled across it.  She looked up, finding Mrs. Jung watching.

 

“It’s from Jessica,” she said.  “Come.  Let’s go out to the patio.”  She handed Yuri a glass and motioned to the envelope, which Yuri snatched up.

 

“I take it this mean she’s not here?”

 

“No.  she left early this morning.”

 

Now Yuri was really confused.  She would have sworn Jessica said she was staying until Friday.  Yuri flipped the envelope over and over in her hands, finally opening and pulling out the single sheet of paper.  Yes, Jessica had indeed left.  And no, she wasn’t interested in seeing Yuri again.  There was no phone number, no address, no invitation to get together again.  Just a thank you for a wonderful day, a day Jessica attributed to old memories and familiar places clouding their judgment, taking them back in time.  A day she would treasure, she said.  But it was the last couple of lines that nearly broke Yuri’s heart.

 

“I doubt we’ll ever see each other again.  I wish you nothing but happiness.”

 

Yuri folded the letter, holding it tightly in her hands.  “Wow,” she said.  “I wasn’t expecting that.”

 

“Probably not, no.”  she pointed to the chair next to her.

 

“Have you read it?”  Yuri asked, sitting down.

 

Mrs. Jung shook her head.  “I don’t need to read it to know what it says.  I know my daughter.”

 

Yuri let out a heavy breath.  “I guess you know about us then.”

 

“I’ve never discussed it with Jessica, if that’s what you mean.  Not back then and certainly not now.  She wouldn’t allow it.  But I always suspected, I guess.  And when she came home from college, she was so heartbroken, so terribly hurt, I knew it wasn’t just some fling she’d had.  I knew it was much deeper than that.  It all made sense then.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“For what?  For hurting my daughter?”

 

Yuri shrugged.  “We

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter