CHAPTER 26

LOVE WAITS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Present Day

 

 

“Of all the invitations I thought I might get this week, getting a call from Jessica’s baby sister wasn’t one of them.”  Yuri patted the leather seat.  “and a chauffeured ride at that.”

 

“I wanted a chance to talk to you.”

 

“I take Jessica doesn’t know I’m coming to dinner.”

 

“Well, she won’t be totally surprised.  It went like this.  Me, let’s invite Yuri to dinner.  Her, I don’t think that’s a very good idea..”

 

Yuri laughed.  “She’s afraid to see me.”

 

“You could say that.”

 

“I take it you know.”

 

“Oh yeah.  She spilled her guts.”  Krystal reached across the console and playfully tapped her leg.  “And I can’t believe Mom and Dad never caught you.”

 

Yuri looked at her thoughtfully.  “Why is Jessica afraid to see me?”

 

“Why do you think?”

 

“The kiss in the elevator.”

 

“That.  And the dance.”

 

“The dance was innocent.”

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Whatever?”

 

“Look, my sister’s been single forever.  So when she starts talking about attraction and melting from your kiss and all that crap, well, I couldn’t stand on the sidelines and let her make a complete fool out of herself.”

 

“Krystal, she’s not single, so don’t try to play matchmaker.”

 

“You mean Faith?”

 

“Yes.  And I may have done a lot of things when I was younger, but now, no way would I come between two people who are in a relationship.  I just don’t do that.”

 

“Okay, just between you and me, my sister’s an idiot.”

 

Yuri laughed.  “What’s she done?”

 

“I can’t tell you.  She’ll never speak to me again.  But if you can get into that tiny brain of hers, maybe you can figure it out.”  Krystal pulled into her parents’ driveway and stopped.

 

“Of course, when she sees you, she may not be speaking to me anyway.”

 

“But your Mom knows I’m coming right?  I’m not just crashing dinner?”

 

“She knows.  Jessica thinks I went to pick up some rolls or something.”  Krystal opened her door and Yuri did the same.  “By the way, I left her out by the pool, if you’re interested.”

 

Yuri grinned.  “Bikini?”

 

“Tiny black one, yeah.”

 

“Okay.  Let me at least say hello to your mother first.”

 

And she did, sticking her head into the kitchen as Mrs. Jung was stabbing a fork into several large potatoes.  Mrs. Jung winked at her and waved her out to the patio.  Apparently the whole family was playing matchmaker.

 

She walked outside, finding Jessica immediately.  She’d just pulled herself out of the water, her back to Yuri.  Yuri stared, taking in every inch of exposed skin, glistening wet as the last rays of the evening sun touched her.  She remained quiet, watching as Jessica reached for a towel, tousling her hair before dabbing her body.  Then Jessica’s shoulder stiffened and Yuri knew she’d felt her presence.  Jessica turned slowly, using the towel to cover herself.

 

“I’ll kill her,” she said.

 

Yuri walked closer.  “It’s getting bloody around here, isn’t it?  First Hara, now your sister.”

 

Jessica nodded but didn’t say anything else.  Yuri couldn’t tell if she was angry that Krystal had invited her for dinner or stil upset by the kiss they’d shared in the elevator.  Yuri assumed the kiss.

 

“Look, I should apologize,” Yuri started, waiting for Jessica’s response.

 

“For?” she asked vaguely.

 

“I had no right to kiss you.  I’m sorry.  I know you’re in a relationship and didn’t mean to belittle that by kissing you.”

 

Jessica looked away, feigning sudden interest in her towel.  “Why did you kiss me?” she finally asked.

 

“I don’t know.  I guess it’s just being back here…all the memories, all that stuff.  I realize we’re not in high school anymore, Jessica.  We’re two completely different people than we were back then.  I’m sorry.  I crossed the line.”

 

Jessica gave her a slight smile.  “Yeah.  Just memories and all.  And you know, that dance didn’t help.”

 

“Your idea.”

 

“True.”

 

“So?  We’re friends?  You’re not mad?”

 

Jessica took a deep breath, watching Yuri as she exhaled.  She nodded.  “Friends.”

 

“Good.”  Yuri stepped closer, arching her eyebrows teasingly.  “It would help immensely if you’d put some clothes on though.”

 

 

~~~~ooo~~~~

 

Jessica sipped her wine as she watched Yuri being grilled by her father.  Well, perhaps grilled was too harsh a word.  Her father had always been straightforward and to the point no need throwing pretty adjectives in to gloss over things.

 

“Is it just me or does Dad seem extremely interested in what Yuri’s been doing the last twenty years?”  Krystal asked.

 

“I blame the whole evening on you,” Jessica said, straining to hear what her father and Yuri were discussing.

 

“It was fun, you have to admit.  I had forgotten how charming Yuri was.”

 

Yeah, she was charming.  And just like in high school, Yuri could flirt with her in such a subtle way that no one knew.  At least, Jessica didn’t think anyone knew.  She, however, was attuned to each and every glance and comment.  The fact that Yuri was flirting with her in the first place didn’t disturb her as much as her reaction to it.  She’d never been able to resist Yuri.  Never.  Now – like back then – she found her body responding to Yuri.  She recognized the pull, the attraction.  It was no different than it had been when they were young.  Each glance drew her nearer, each innocent touch made her crave more.  Even now, she couldn’t take her eyes off Yuri.  She blatantly stared, taking advantage as her father distracted Yuri.  She followed the length of her bare legs, as long and muscular as she remembered – runner’s legs.  The body she looked at now wasn’t the rail thin image of a teen, however.  It was the full, mature body of an adult woman, curves and softness blending with the firmness that comes with regular exercise.  As her glance settled on Yuri’s s, a vivid picture suddenly popped in her mind and she drew a sharp breath, her mind’s eye reflecting an image of settling over Yuri’s hard , her tongue teasing her until Yuri was begging for release.

 

“You okay?”

 

Jessica felt the hot blush on her face and she reached for her glass, the wine nearly spilling as she hastily drank.  She took a deep breath.  “I’m fine.”

 

“You don’t look fine.”  Krystal leaned closer.  “I think you should tell her.”

 

“Tell her what?”

 

“Now who’s clueless?”

 

“Look, I’m leaving tomorrow.  Going back to Houston.  Everything will be back to normal.”

 

“Yes.  You’re going back to your empty condo, your loveless life.  Going back to the job you hate in a city you hate.”

 

“All of which has nothing to do with Kwon Yuri.”

 

“Tell her you’re still attracted to her.”

 

“I will not.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because.  It’s far too late.  We’re too old.  Too much time has passed.”

 

“Those are silly excuses.  What are you afraid of?”

 

“I’m afraid – “ But she stopped, closing as Yuri finally escaped her father and came back to the table to join them.  “Sorry,” Jessica apologized.  “He gets carried away sometimes.”

 

“Oh, it’s okay.  I always liked your dad.  Besides, he gave me some tips on grilling the perfect steak.”

 

“I’m sure he did.”  Krystal laughed.  “Did he share his secret rub?”

 

“As a matter of fact, he did.”

 

“Wow.  You must have really charmed him,” Jessica said.  “I don’t think he’s ever told anyone his recipe.”

 

“I’m sworn to secrecy, so you won’t get it out of me.”

 

“More wine?” Krystal asked.  Yuri shook her head.  “No.  I should probably head back to the hotel.  Thanks for inviting me for dinner.”  She glanced at Jessica.  “I hope me being here wasn’t too awkward.”

 

“No,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter