CHAPTER 28

LOVE WAITS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Present Day

 

 

Yuri has just slipped her T-shirt over her head when she heard knocking on her door.  She ran her fingers through her damp hair to straighten it, not yet dry from her earlier shower.  She glanced at her reflection in the mirror and took a deep breath.  Her nerves told her that Jessica would be on the other side of the door when she opened it.  Was she coming so that they could try their goodbye again in the light of day?  No, she doubted that was the case.  The way Jessica ran from the room last night, she wasn’t coming back for another goodbye.  Most likely, Jessica was angry with her for what happened last night and was here to tell her that.  Or maybe she was coming by, thinking Yuri owed her an apology.

 

She paused at the door a second or two, then pulled it open.  As she expected, Jessica stood there.  What was unexpected was the nervousness in Jessica’s eyes.  What?  Did she think Yuri would throw all etiquette aside and try to resume their rather heated goodbye kiss?

 

“Good morning,” she said, stepping aside so that Jessica could enter if she chose.

 

Jessica stuck her hands into the pockets of her shorts, but Yuri could still see them fidgeting.

 

“Good morning.”

 

Yuri raised her eyebrows, waiting.

 

Jessica offered a slight smile.  “I’m kidnapping you for the day.”

 

Yuri let the door swing shut as Jessica walked past her.  “I thought you were leaving today.”

 

“I changed my mind.”

 

“And this is okay with Faith?  I mean, that you’re kidnapping me and all.” Yuri stood in front of her.  “Does she know about me?  About us?”

 

“Know what?”

 

“Does she know about last night?” Yuri watched as Jessica nervously bit her lower lip.

 

“No.  NO, she doesn’t know anything.”

 

“Okay.  Then I’m not going to spend – “

 

“Oh, so now you’re going to turn all chivalrous on me?”

 

“Jessica, if we spend the day together – “

 

“ I know, Yuri.  After last night, I know.”

 

Yuri sighed.  They were too old for games between them.  “Tell me about Faith.”

 

“Tell you what?”

 

“Tell me why your mother didn’t know she existed.  Tell me why both Hara and Krystal say you’re single.  Tell me the truth.”

 

Jessica plunged both hands into her hair and turned away.  “Oh, God.”  She squared her shoulders and turned back around.  “Okay.  There is no Faith.  I made her up.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Why?  Because I was dreading seeing you again, that’s why.  I assumed you were with someone and I didn’t want to appear as some pathetic, lonely woman still pining for you.”  She smiled slightly.  “The fact that I made up a girlfriend in the first place makes me a pathetic, lonely woman, doesn’t it?”

 

Yuri was certain she’d never seen Jessica looking more vulnerable than she did at  that moment.  “Are you lonely?” she asked quietly.

 

“I never thought I was.  But after…well, after seeing you again and everything.”  She nodded.  “Yeah, I have been lonely.”

 

Yuri took a step closer.  “I understand completely how you feel.  Last night,” she paused, “last night I wanted you in the worst way.  You ran.  I didn’t think I’d ever see you again.”

 

“I wanted you too.  That’s why I ran.”

 

Yuri took a deep breath.  “Okay.  So now what?”

 

Jessica’s gaze held hers.  “Remember how we used to put a picnic lunch together and sneak out to my grandparents’ place?”

 

Yuri smiled.  “I remember vividly.”

 

“I thought…well, I thought we could spend the day out there.  Maybe hang out at the pool and…and visit.”

 

“Visit, huh?”  Yuri arched an eyebrow.  “Will I need a swimsuit?”

 

Jessica slowly shook her head.  “No.  You won’t need a swimsuit.”  It was Jessica’s turn to pause.

 

 

“So?  You want to?”

 

Yuri nodded.  “Yes.  I want to.”

 

Jessica had been blabbing nonstop about remodeling done on her grandparents’ house, realizing she was just making nervous conversation.  But really, here they were, heading out of town with the intention of having again after twenty years.  She figured she was entitled to a little nervousness.

 

“Jessica?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“You never used to ramble on so much like this.”

 

Jessica laughed.  “I’m sorry.  I’m not exactly used to premeditated ual encounters.”  She glanced at Yuri.  “Well, not since high school, anyway.”

 

“Can I ask you a personal question?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“When’s the last time you were in a relationship?”

 

“What constitutes a relationship?  I mean, are we talking like together for months?  Or years?”

 

“Either.”

 

“It’s been…awhile,” she said evasively.  Would she really consider anyone she’d dated in the last twenty years as being in a relationship?  She went out with Sara for several months, but that was before she learned that Sara was also seeing three other women at the same time.  That certainly wouldn’t classify as a relationship.  She glanced at Yuri again.  “What about you?”

 

“No.”

 

“No, what?”

 

“No.  I haven’t been in a relationship with anyone.”

 

“Not ever?”

 

“Not since you, no.”

 

Jessica was surprised by her answer, but then again, maybe she shouldn’t be.  Yuri hopped around from girl to girl that first semester in college.  Maybe that’s how she’d spent her life, never settling down with anyone long enough to have a relationship.

 

Jessica slowed, turning onto the road to her grandparents’ property.  She stopped at the gate, then leaned back in her seat, trying to fish the keys out of her pocket.  She held them up and Yuri took them.  Just like in the old days, Yuri grinning mischievously as she got out to open the gate.

 

“I can’t believe we’re about to have .”

 

“Believe it,” she whispered.  She gripped the steering wheel tighter as she drove through, waiting for Yuri to close and lock the gate once more.

 

When they were young, the gate was never locked and Yuri would bound out of the car before Jessica had even stopped, hurrying to open it.  They would drive through, taking the first dirt path to the left, the road that would lead them to the pond.  There, they would lay a blanket on the ground, going through the motions of having a picnic when all they really wanted was to ne together and make love.

 

“Is the old pond still there?” Yuri asked when she got back inside.

 

“Yes.  They actually repaired that old deck and pier.  Uncle Dave likes to fish so that was his doing.”

 

They were both silent as Jessica drove down the winding road that would take them to the house.  When it came into view, Jessica was still startled at the difference.  It looked nothing like the old ranch house from her grandparents’ days.

 

“Wow.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Did they tear the whole thing down and start over?  Yuri asked.

 

“Once you get inside, you can tell where the old house was.  They just added four wings on each side.  The modest two-bedroom, one bath is now four bedrooms and five baths.  Almost the entire space of the original house is now kitchen and living areas.  They sold more than half of the land to pay for the remodeling.”  They got out, standing at the pristine picket fence surrounding the house.  “All four of them now have their own master bedroom, my parents included,” Jessica explained.

 

“So when everyone is together for Christmas, your parents stay here?”

 

“Mostly.  Unless all of my cousins come, then they’ll give up their room.  I mean, it’s only thiry minutes from town.”

 

“Is that all?  It used to seem like an eternity back in high school.”

 

Jessica laughed as she pushed through the gate and went to the front door.  “I do believe we entertained ourselves on the drive out.”  She blushed as she recalled exactly how they entertained themselves.

 

“Yes.  Remember that time when my face got caught in the steering – “

 

Jessica stopped Yuri’s words with a quick hand to .  Yes, she remembered.  She had begged Yuri, wanting , not her fingers, at that particular moment.  It was a miracle she hadn’t driven them into the ditch.  Her jeans and were shoved down her thighs, Yuri’s head was between her legs, and when Jessica’s hit, she lifted off the seat with such force, she’d pushed Yuri’s face into the steering wheel.

 

She met Yuri’s eyes, both of them remembering.  Then, as it had been that night, they broke into laughter.  “Oh, my God.  I thought we were going to have wreck,” Jessica said as she removed her hand from Yuri’s mouth.

 

“I had to brake with my hands.”

 

“I couldn’t reach the pedals because your head was – “ She stopped, the smile disappearing.

 

“My head was between your legs.”  Yuri finished for her.

 

“Yes.”  Jessica’s nerves came back full force.  Then she smiled.  “Technically, your head was now caught in the steering wheel.”

 

She pushed open the front door, about to offer a tour to Yuri.  When she turned, she knew the tour would have to wait.  She’d seen that look in Yuri’s eyes hundreds of time before.  There was no more need for words.  They both knew why they were here.  She took Yuri’s hand, feeling her finger tighten around her own.  She led them down

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter