CHAPTER 36

LOVE WAITS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Twenty-one years earlier

 

 

“Shhh,” Jessica whispered as the stairs creaked beneath their weight.  “They’ll hear.”

 

Yuri pulled her closer and whispered in her ear.  “Hurry.  The sun’s coming up.”

 

Jessica closed her eyes for a moment, the smell of still surrounding them.  She tightened her grip on Yuri’s hand, for a second wanting to ditch the sunrise and take her back to bed and make love all over again.  But the dawn was approaching, her parents would be up soon, wanting to pack, wanting to get on the road.  So she nodded, leading them down the stairs of the rented beach house, careful not to bang the screen door as they hurried out to the deck.  She still held on to Yuri’s hand, pulling her along the trail between the dunes to the beach, slowing finally when they reached the sand.  She squeezed Yuri’s hand hard, pulling her closer now that they were out of sight of the house.

 

“I hate that we have to leave today.”

 

“I know.  And summer will be over before you know it.  Then back at school.”

 

“But our senior year.”  Jessica gazed out over the water, the sky still holding on to the night, only a dim flicker of light shown to the east.  “One more year, then college.  It happened so fast.”

 

Yuri led her a little farther down the beach, up against the sand dunes, where they laid out the large beach towel.  They sat close together, arms tangled together, the early morning breeze chilling their bare skin.

 

“Where do you want to live when we get out of college?”

 

Jessica smiled with contentment.  She loved it when Yuri asked questions like that.  It meant they’d be together.  It meant Yuri wanted them to be together.  She leaned her head on Yuri’s shoulder, letting her eyes slip closed as she imagined them older, both dashing off to work after one last hug and kiss, then coming home from work, sharing cooking and dinner, cuddling on the sofa, then in bed, making love, holding each other while they slept.

 

“Remember last year when I said I wanted to live in a big city?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I think I’ve changed my mind,”  Jessica said.  “Nothing small like Calloway though.  But I don’t think I’d like a big city like Dallas or Houston.”


“Austin?”


“Maybe. What do you want?”


“I’d live anywhere with you,” Yuri said.


“But if you had your choice, where would you pick?”

 

“I don’t know.  I kinda like it down here.”  Yuri kissed her fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter