CHAPTER 3

LOVE WAITS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Present Day
 

 

 

“Earth to Yuri. Hello?”
 

Yuri looked up, blinking several times, trying to focus on SooYoung. “What?”
 

“I said, who is it from? You’re as white as a sheet.”
 

Yuri  turned  away,  dropping  the  envelope  and  accompanying  invitation  on her desk.

 

“It just…took me back is all.  Twenty-year high school reunion.” She said.


“Twenty? Good Lord, how old are you?”
 

Yuri  picked  up  the  stress  ball  she  kept  on  her  desk,  tossing  it  at  SooYoung who  caught  it expertly.

 

“I’m the same age as you are.”
 

“God, are we that old? Twenty years out of high school?”
 

“Afraid so.”
 

“Well, are you going?”
 

Yuri shook her head.

 

 “No.” She shrugged. “I haven’t seen  any of those people since the day we graduated.”

 

“I  know.  I  think  that’s  the  point.  You  go  to  catch  up  and  see  who’s  made  a  success  out  of themselves and who let themselves turn into old, fat, frumpy married women.”

 

Yuri laughed. “And you would fall into the latter category,”  she teased. She caught the stress ball without looking as SooYoung tossed it back at her in mock anger.
 

“I‟m not fat. And married with two kids does not make me old and frumpy.”
 

“No. But your poofy hairdo and your insistence on wearing those formal business suits do.”
 

“So  I  should  dress  like  you?  Shorts  and  flip-flops?”  She eyed Yuri’s attire with just a hint of envy.

 

 “There are certain rules one has to follow in the business world, Yuri, even if we do live in a coastal town.  I am the face of our little company when I am out and about mingling with the money shakers of this city.”

 

“And you do it very well.” Yuri tossed the ball back at her. “I also know you love it.”
 

 

SooYoung grinned. “Yes, I do.” She squeezed the stress ball between her hands, her perfectly manicured nails grazing the surface.

 

“So, this high school reunion thing. Why won’t you go?  It could be loads of fun.   You haven’t been back to your hometown in forever, have you?”

 

Yuri pulled her chair closer to  SooYoung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter