Chapter 8

Sweep Me off My Feet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Joy, is Seulgi a player?” It's something that has been bothering me a lot since last night, so much I'm willing to deal with Joy and her teasing. As expected the girl looks both surprised and bothered by my interruption, I never bring up Seulgi in our conversations, normally it's just her teasing me. She has been telling me something since the recess started and now she knows I wasn't listening to her at all.

 

She takes a bite of her sandwich chewing it slowly while she analyzes me. “Why the sudden interest?” She asks squinting her eyes.

 

A shrug is my way of answering, if I say something, what could it be? That suddenly I'm interested in her because she looks nice in a button-up shirt and put a picture of us as her wallpaper? Hell no. “I want to know what kind of person I'm dealing with.” She scoff. “And she looks like one.” She doesn't buy my calm and casual act, instead, I can see the growing smirk slowly forming on her lips.

 

“She really does, right?” She agrees and I nod interested in what she has to say. I lean forward putting all my attention on her. “Especially since the rest of the team is so awful.” She laughs, I mimic her even though I have no idea what she's talking about.

 

“I know.” Like I know anything about Seulgi and her group of friends besides the fact they are part of the basketball team. I wait for her to continue, to tell me if she is or isn't, but she returns her attention to her sandwich humming happily enjoying torturing me. “So...Seulgi.” I press while playing with my phone where her last message still appears on the screen.

 

“Good morning. Is chilly outside, wear a sweater <3”

 

Simple but effective.

 

Damn it.

 

It bothered me so much I deliberately left my sweater behind and now I'm freezing.

 

“Background check is always important.” She teases. “You've always been smart.” She taps her head with a finger mocking me.

 

“Joy, just answer my question.” I whine feeling embarrassed. Ever since I met Seulgi I've been feeling embarrassed every single day somehow.

 

“You first.” She points at me. “Why the sudden interest?”

 

“I'm just curious.” I defend myself. “I want to know who I'm getting into my house and getting to know my sister.” I excuse poorly as if Joy isn't the person who knows me the best.

 

“Sweetie, please.” Joy rolls her eyes. “You and I both know the truth. I just want you to tell me yourself, don't you trust me anymore?” She sounds hurt making me feel bad, she's right, ever since I met Seulgi I haven't talked to her and she's like my sister, we say everything to each other.

 

I exhale loudly defeated. “Ok, right now I'm just...curious about her.” I say hiding my face behind my sandwich.

 

“Since when?” She jumps excitedly.

 

“Um...last night?”

 

“Oh, what happened last night?”

 

“Not much...” Hesitating I tell her the little things that got to me yesterday, from how hard she tried at my place, to the picture she took from us. Joy's eyes sparkle excited muttering aw's every once in a while and grinning like a fool.

 

“You're starting to like her. I knew it!”

 

“No!.. I mean, maybe...” I exhale again. “Ugh I don't know.“ I end up whining for Joy's amusement. “I just want you to tell me if Seulgi is a player or not.”

 

“Our dear captain.” She stops making suspense. “Is too...adorable to be a player.” She finishes grinning.

 

Adorable.

 

The word Joy uses... Refusing to call Seulgi stupid or idiot or anything more fitting than adorable, not that I really think the girl is stupid. I smile inwardly pleased with her answer. “But she's so flirty and forward,” I say thinking back to our meetings. “And she has said how girls bother her a lot.”

 

“Ah well, she's pretty, attractive and popular. Of course they bother her.” She says as if I'm stupid for saying that. “But she only dates them for a couple of days if they are too insistent. Only to take them off her back.”

 

“That's sad.”

 

“They just want to say they dated the captain so they don't care.”

 

“That's even sadder.” No wonder Seulgi talks so badly about them.

 

“She has only asked a girl out before you.” She smiles. Well, that's hard to believe knowing her but if Joy says so, it must be true. “I'm offended, do you think I would insist on you giving her a chance if she was a player?”

 

“I'm sorry.” I laugh. “It's just...weird that she likes me.”

 

“Not everything has to be complicated, I told you already to just go with the flow.”

 

“I'm not like you, Joy. I can't date just for the sake of it.” I roll my eyes taking a shot at my very single friend.

 

“Yah! What are you implying?”

 

“That you're a woman of loose morals?” I say laughing already getting away from her. “Wait.” I say holding her by the shoulders before she gets to me. “You said I'm the second one she has asked out...Who was the first one?”

 

“Krystal Jung.”

 

Suddenly I don't feel like laughing anymore.

 

 

 

+++

 

 

 

Seulgi scratches her head with her pencil trying to make sense of the contents of the paper in front of her. With her lips pursed and brows knitted she mutters her next step under her breath, completely immersed in the task.

 

Rather than check if she's on the right track I stare at her and how her facial expression changes, her eyelashes are long I notice. I thought it was something only people in romance novels noticed, things like how her profile looks with her hair tucked behind her ear or how pink her lips are.

 

I avert my gaze to another place landing on her snapback resting on the desk, the cute white bear on it reminds me of what Joy said earlier.

 

Krystal Jung, head cheerleader, model like figure, gorgeous, etc. Of course Seulgi asked her out, how more cliché can you get, really... The captain and the cheerleader, just thinking about it bothers me but it does bring up an important question.

 

How do you go from asking freaking Krystal Jung out to...well…me.

 

And it wasn't even a personality thing because she boarded me without even knowing my name.

 

It makes no sense.

 

She's weird or crazy.

 

Maybe both.

 

“I'm lost.” She says pouting. “I don't know what to do next.” You and me both. “Help me.” She pleads in a fake crying voice. I chuckle taking the paper away from her, this is Seulgi's study session, I shouldn't be thinking about my teenage dilemmas.

 

“One more time.”

 

I slowly go over the subject again trying to focus as much as I can but the way she sticks out her tongue when she's concentrated and how she looks with her eyebrows knitted is making it really hard for me, nothing is different today, she always looks the same and she's acting like she normally does. Yet,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter