Chapter 36

Sweep Me off My Feet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Seulgi can you walk beside me, please?" I turn around once again pleading to the girl.

 

But the girl shakes her head refusing again to listen to my really easy request.

 

"Please?"

 

"I'm good here" she replies adjusting her shades and showing off a toothy grin.

 

I pull my skirt down while I glare at the happy girl thinking maybe putting on this outfit today was a bad idea, I mean, by the look on Seulgi's face it's pretty obvious it isn't a common thing for me to wear, which means, it's obvious I'm trying too hard.

 

But how can I not?

 

"Please?" I ask again halting my steps, Seulgi does the same not budging, I sigh defeated and continue to lead the way to the school's gym.

 

"It's my day, amuse me" she says from the back.

 

I squint my eyes towards her direction making her chuckle.

 

Inside though, I'm glad she has this reaction to it.

 

We have to go around the building, towards the gym’s backdoor, just as we were instructed. We walk very slowly, with no hurry, truth is we got here pretty early, really early, Seulgi denies it but she’s clearly very excited about this, but instead of showing it she decides to act all cool and unbothered.

 

But unbothered people don’t wake up at five in the morning for an afternoon appointment. 

 

“You know…” I turn around to face the cheerful girl “I expected the photoshoot to be done at a studio or something, not our school’s gym.”

 

“Are you disappointed?” Seulgi asks after scoffing a laugh out of .  

 

“No, I still think it’s pretty impressive you get called for things like this” I say with sincerity. “Have you done lot’s of photoshoots like this?”

 

“Not really, most of the time reporters take pictures at my games and use those” she explains while tucking her hands inside her pockets “it’s only the local newspaper after all.”

 

“Only the local newspaper” I mock halting my steps. “So cocky” this makes Seulgi laugh wholeheartedly.

 

“It’s always the local newspaper which is great but...” she says still smiling. “This is the first time I’ve been called for something with more national coverage, I’m pretty sure it’s the first time at least.”

 

“Is it really?” I say surprised by her sudden openness.

 

“It’s a sign everything is getting back to one hundred percent” she grins looking up at the clear sky. “Now I just need to do well next game and everything will get fixed for sure.”

 

Seulgi is a very closed off person, but every once in a while, in my presence, she lets her facade fall for a moment and show me her true self, like right now.  

 

She shows me her frustrations.

 

Her guilt.

 

I can’t wait for all of those feelings to go away.

 

“You’ll do great,” I assure her “there’s no way you won’t get that scout’s card, no one is working as hard as you to get it, you deserve it.”

 

The girl comes closer to my position placing her hands on my waist, caressing my skin with her fingertips, my hand instinctively go to her shoulders while my mind wanders when it’ll be the time my heart is going to stop racing when Seulgi suddenly gets so close to me like this.

 

“Thank you.” 

 

As expected we get to the location way too early, but thankfully, found Seulgi’s trusted friend, janitor, to open the door for us to wait inside.

 

The empty gym has a very peaceful and pleasant aura I must admit, I take a  seat on the bleachers watching Seulgi nervously wander around the court with her face glued to her smartphone.

 

“They’ll get here in an hour or two” she says walking back to the bleachers and throwing the phone on top of her duffle bag.

 

“Are you ok? You seem nervous.”  

 

“I’m a bit nervous, yes” she admits “I don’t know why but I am” she sighs taking a seat next to me. “Maybe it’s because you’re here?” she jokes lifting her eyebrows up.

 

“Then maybe I should leave” I mimic her expression back to her.

 

“You can try but you’d have to walk back to your place.” 

 

“I’ll take my chances” I say struggling to stand up, I glance towards the girl. “What?” I ask watching her expression slowly go from teasing to a frown, she opens to say something but quickly regrets it looking away. “Honey” I sign making her fight back a smile.

 

“I want to say something but it’s kind of problematic” she says leaning back taking a better look at me. “So forget it, I’m not saying it.”

 

“Problematic? What is it?” I say chuckling.

 

“No, forget it” she says in a dry tone looking away. 

 

“I want to know, tell me” I persist putting my hands on her shoulders and shaking her whining my way into her heart.

 

“Fine, stop it” she pulls me down asking me to return to my sitting position next to her. ”Just know I’m aware it’s wrong alright?”

 

“Alright?” I say amused letting myself be pulled by her gentle tugging.

 

“Just the thought…” she shifts her position to now be straddling her seat looking directly at me with a very serious expression, frown included “...of you walking alone wearing that skirt upsets me” she puts a hand on top on my bare thighs “Problematic.”

 

“I mean…” her serious face paired up with her little confession makes it hard to take her seriously “I guess it is?” I reply fighting back my laughter very poorly.

 

“Don’t get me wrong, you can do whatever you want” she hurries to say.

 

“Ok?” I say amused.

 

“But please don’t.”

 

“Wow, how controlling” I joke making her groan in return. “I’m joking, honey.”

 

“I know! You don’t understand, see...the thought…” she makes another dramatic pause with a cringing expression to emphasize just how much she dislikes it “...of other people seeing you the way I see you just...” she scrunches up her nose closing her eyes. “No.” 

 

The pained facial expression the girl makes manages to make a giggling fit come out of my throat, of course, Seulgi doesn’t find it as amusing, instead, her ears turn red in embarrassment as she turns her head to the side letting out a scoff.

 

“You don’t have to worry about that, I’m already regretting wearing it, it’s so uncomfortable” I admit alone with a sigh. “Bending over has never been so nerve-wracking” this makes the girl chuckle.

 

“I noticed.”


“I don’t think it’s problematic, I wouldn’t like it if you walked around town wearing those stretchy shorts you use during practice.”


“Why?” she grins as she proceeds to poke my waist. “Don’t want people staring?” she teases trying to make me embarrassed.

 

“Of course not” I give her an answer in a flat tone. “I already have enough with your little fan club always spying on you” I scoff annoyed.

 

They got a lot better after we stayed together probably for longer than they thought but those girls are still around, more distant but they are always there...staring.

 

Ugh.

 

“This too is problematic but...I like it” still grinning, Seulgi pecks my lips. “So, we have a deal” she says pleased.

 

“A deal?”

 

“No shorts” she points at herself. “No skirt” she points at me.

 

“Yes, ok, whatever you say” I chuckle amused by her words and proud expression, paying no attention to her victory grin I lean in to meet her lips with mine giving her a peck just like she did before.

 

I look around the empty gym watching Seulgi impatiently walk from one side to the other, the more the time passes the more nervous she seems to get.

 

The confident and arrogant Seulgi, nervous because of a photoshoot.

 

I’m confident saying I know Seulgi the best, but she can still surprise me like this.

 

“How’s a photoshoot like?” I ask for the sake of breaking the silence. “Are you going to be making tricks? Or is it like in the magazines?” The girl stops her nervous movements with a thoughtful look in her eyes.

 

“I really don’t know? It depends on who’s the photographer I believe” she answers me after a moment of silence. “I’ve seen both for previous years, so we’ll see when they get here” right after she finishes speaking she resumes her nervous walking.

 

“What are you going to do?” she stops.

 

“Hm?”

 

“If you have to play for the camera, do you know what you’re going to do?”

 

“I won’t be getting too close to the hoop for sure” she says looking at it. “Can’t reach it” I can’t hold back my laughter at her frank words causing the small girl to pout.

 

“I’m sorry” I quickly let out but she just rolls her eyes.

 

“A free throw is a safe option but it doesn’t look as cool” she proceeds, “but most things I’m good at requires a partner.”

 

“Honestly I don’t know what you’re talking about” I can spot a chaste smile slowly growing on her lips. “Show me” she raises her brows.

 

“Really?” she asks with a surprised tone of voice and brows raised all the way up.

 

“Yeah.” 

 

“Ok, sure?” Seulgi jogs all the way to the duffle bag carefully resting by my side and takes out a basketball from it, she then sets her confused eyes on me.

 

I stand up and place a hand on her arm following her to the squeaky wooden floor, the girl stands in the middle of the court by my side humming, she always hums when she’s deep in thought.

 

“Ok, so…” she starts dribbling the ball against the floor, “the things I’m good at.” She says under her breath. “I’m good at distance shots” she explains to me briefly before throwing the ball from where she’s standing all the way to the hoop considerably far away, in my criteria at least, from us not missing the shot “but that’s not really impressive isn’t it?”

 

“I can’t do that” I say while watching her run to fetch the ball. “How do you have the strength to do it from so far away?” I ask her genuinely impressed making the girl holding the ball chuckle amused and scoff to her side.

 

“It’s not that hard, honestly” she says looking over at the hoop. “Try it” she offers me the ball, “but let’s stand closer” she says placing her hands on my arms pushing me closer to the hoop.

 

“I can’t do it” I say turning my head to see the smiling girl.

 

“Show me your best shot” she insists stepping to the side.

 

With the heavy ball in my hands I set my eyes to the board in front of me, I crouch down to gain impulse but is way too hard to do it with the tight skirt restricting my movements, using all of my strength I jump and make my shot throwing the ball not only way too low to reach the board but also in a lateral direction completely missing the target, I hear Seulgi explode into laughter as the ball bounces on the floor, the sound echoing in the empty gym.

 

I glare at the girl still laughing bending over with her hands resting on her thighs, once she calms down she meets my eyes and quickly straightens herself up clearing to hide and fight her remaining laughter coming out of her small body.

 

“It wasn’t that bad?” she says pressing her lips together right after.
 

“Save it” I roll my eyes, Seulgi then loses her inner fight and laughs again covering her eyes with a hand. “Hey!” I feign being offended and slightly push her making her lose her balance.

 

“I’m sorry but,” she says taking a deep breath “it’s funny.”

 

“So my failure is funny to you...” I raise my brows fighting back a smile myself.

 

“Well, babe… yeah… yeah it is” I push her once more laughing along with the girl. “Now I can see why you at P.E.”

 

“Shut up, it’s the skirt! It doesn’t let me do it properly.” 

 

“Oh for sure, it’s the skirt” she mocks me.

 

“It is! I can’t move.”

 

“Yeah yeah” she once again runs to fetch the ball. “Ok let me show you how it’s done.”  

 

“No, you’re just going to laugh again.” 

 

“Come on” she handles me the ball and then proceeds to stand behind me pressing herself against me. “Put your hand under the ball and this arm like this” her breath hits my ear making me shudder and Seulgi giggles at this. “Come on, focus” she gently guides me into the right position brushing my skin with her fingertips.

 

I let myself enjoy these brief seconds. 

 

With the smell of her perfume, the warmth her body radiates on mine, her gentle voice guiding me with her expert advice in this empty place as her hands trace my skin with her gentle touch.

 

 

"Now you’re going to bend your legs-” she erupts in laughter hugging me tightly with her arms when she confirms just how restricted I am with this fabric hugging my legs making me unable to bend my legs like she instructed me to.

 

“Hey!” I scold her joining her laughing fit. “I told you” I then say turning around to meet the girl’s eyes letting the ball fall into the floor so I can hug her back.

 

“You did” Seulgi brushes some strands of hair off my face as she lets out a content sigh.

 

The girl gently cups my face gently raising my chin up, she then leans forward hovering my lips with hers, a little game she likes to play where she waits for me to get desperate and close the gap myself.

 

Needless to say she always wins.

 

I smile against her lips feelings her hands going for my .

 

The kiss is tender and slow, a perfect ending for this little moment between us.

 

I like these quiet and sweet alone moments the best.

 

But our little bubble bursts too soon for my liking hearing the gym’s door opening, the creaking sound resounding inside the empty place.

 

Seulgi let’s me go to meet whoever interrupted us with her eyes, and for our dislike, we don’t meet the crew we’re expecting but Krystal Jung herself meeting our eyes.
 

Krystal, looking unbothered, walking inside the place towards the nearest bench dropping her belongings on top of it and taking a seat once she’s done. I hear Seulgi sigh through her nose winning back my attention, she doesn’t seem to be mad or annoyed, but the traces of happiness from a second before are long gone.

 

If anything she looks uncomfortable.

 

Taking the lead I hold onto her hand and ring her over to our previous spot on the benches, all the way to the to the other end of the gym away from Krystal.

 

Seulgi wraps her arm around my shoulder and holds my hand with the other, it takes no genius to notice she isn’t as chirp anymore, she takes my hand to her lips placing a kiss on it with apologetic eyes.

 

“I’m sorry, this must be as awkward for you as it is for me” she mutters softly with big and sad puppy eyes.

 

It makes me feel like a completely horrible person.

 

Because it’s undeniable her body language and displeasure for the person sitting at the other end makes me feel some sort of way I wish it didn’t, she’s clearly uncomfortable and most likely makes the girl recall some really bad memories I wish she didn’t have inside her mind.

 

But damn it does make me happy to see her complete disdain for the other girl.

 

I’m a horrible person.

 

“It’s ok” I assure her leaning against her shoulder.

 

It’s not long before the photographer and her crew arrive, it felt like an eternity for Seulgi who got up in an instant when she saw them come in not being able to hide how much she wants things to be over already.

 

The crew is young and compromised by three women dressed in very casual clothes, blue jeans and plain shirts, one is the photographer, the other her assistant and last one a reporter. Apparently they asked them if they could do everything in one day, interview and photoshoot, so they can speed up the process, which both girls agree with without any problem.

 

They talk with Seulgi alone giving her instructions while she removes her hoodie revealing her basketball jersey underneath and nods enthusiastically to everything they say, I watch everything unfold from my seat trying to be as less intrusive as possible.

 

“It’s going to be some simple shots, they said it would take a bit more than half an hour” Seulgi explains to me once she’s back to my side. “If you get bored you can go walk around or something” she says in an apologetic tone taking her shorts out of her gym bag.

 

“I won’t get bored” I assure her.

 

“Ok, but if you do…” she sings as she puts on the garment.

 

“Sure, sure” she flashes me a smile and without any warning she quickly pecks my lips making me yelp in surprise.

 

“Just go” I smile back to the spontaneous girl, the nervous aura she exuded this morning now long gone by the looks of it. 

 

With that Seulgi goes back to the photographer who’s now giving instructions to Krystal making sure to keep her distance from the girl.

 

Arms crossed.

 

Body slightly turned away.

 

Jaw clenched every time she has no choice but to look at the girl.

 

Seulgi despises her.

 

The drunken words said in Wendy's kitchen that night are now even more ridiculous and completely baseless than before, it's easy to see just how much of a stupid and insecure little girl I was being by watching my girlfriend's closed and uncomfortable body language in this very moment.

 

No wonder she got so mad.

 

Despite me knowing this there’s still something about this girl that irks me.

 

The way she looks at me whenever Seulgi is close and shows affection to me is maddening.

 

It’s as if the sight is unsettling for her..

 

The photographer decides to start with Krystal for the photoshoot while Seulgi answers some questions from the assigned reporter bringing her to take a seat near me, well, near enough for me to be intrusive and maybe hear what they are saying if I’m lucky.

 

Seulgi looks back searching for my eyes and I show her an encouraging grin lifting my fist and mouthing a silent good luck to her which prompts her to nod and mimic my gesture back.

 

“Hi, Seulgi, we’re excited to have you today.”

 

While the reporter engages in some small talk with the basketball player I bring my attention to the other girl posing for the camera wearing her cheerleader uniform, she does it with confidence, like someone that is used to get her picture taken, which isn’t surprising to anyone that has seen any of her social media, the girl is without a doubt despite my personal feelings for her, gorgeous. 

 

After the whole Seulgi thing she remained single, but not for lack of suitors, if anything people talk as much about her as they do about my girlfriend.

 

I furrow my brows at the thought.

 

“For the first half of the season last year you weren’t participating in any of the games, your team managed to get through the tournament but not as easily. Any particular reason you had to take a step back?” my ears perk up interested in the question just made.

 

“I was advised by my coach to take some time off not only for my physical well being but for the sake of the team’s growth” Seulgi lies flawlessly with confidence.

 

“Were you hurt?”


“No, it was only a preventive measure, we knew the team would do great regardless, thanks to it, we discovered new strengths from my teammates making us a better team today, our defense has come a long way and thanks to the pressure we have also become mentally stronger” a tingling sensation fills my stomach listening to her answers and ability to swift the focus off herself.

 

“Was it hard to sat off the games?”

 

“It definitely made me more eager to comeback and do my best.”

 

The reporter then begins to ask questions about her strengths and other basketball terms I’m not familiar with. Seulgi keeps answering all with confidence, humor, and the professionalism that appears only when basketball gets mentioned.

 

“We heard you had a scholarship from a recognized university but it fell off during your time off, can you tell us more about that?” 

 

The question makes me tense up and take off my eyes from the cheerleader effortlessly doing tricks for the camera and successfully stops my mind from wondering if her flexibility was something Seulgi liked about her.

 

Seulgi is caught off guard but quickly masks it with a chaste smile, she can’t fool me, I can see her gripping her seat as she looks away thinking of an answer.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter