Chapter 43

Sweep Me off My Feet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi stands in the middle of the room inspecting it closely, she has a hand on her chin as she squints her eyes observing every surface that meets her sight, she sometimes hums a silent question whenever she touches one of the viable spaces considering if it would be the right choice for the task.

 

She had suddenly woken up from her short nap fully recharged and started looking for a way to make some space for the TV she decided to bring here, I don’t know exactly what prompts her to do it now but whatever is not like anyone can stop her once an idea pops into her head.

 

I glance at the girl for a second, the morning sun hitting her makes her squint harder until she has to avert her gaze somewhere else, she keeps walking in circles making it harder for me to finish the work I’m doing with all of the distraction.

 

She’s a distraction.

 

“Would you consider moving this dresser all the way here?” She asks making me take my eyes off the papers in front of me, I take a pause to look at the girl pushing my glasses in place not even pretending to think about her offer.

 

“No.” Seulgi rolls her eyes at my deadpan delivery.

 

“Why not?”

 

“If you put it there, then it’d block the door.” I explain then take my attention back to my own task.

 

“That won’t happen.” I hear her mumble and move around the place once again, curiosity gets the best of me hearing her mumble some nonsense and see her measuring the dresser giving the furniture a hug, then with her arms still extended she carefully walks to the free wall. “Ok, maybe you’re right, the dresser is too big.” She says seeing part of her arm covering the door.

 

I hate myself for finding the whole thing adorable, I wonder when it’ll be an appropriate time to tell her mom found something that’ll fix all of our problems but we’re waiting for it to be delivered.

 

Seeing Seulgi sadly pout at the wall almost makes me want to tell her but having her struggle a bit is also equally tempting.

 

Decisions, decisions.

 

“I know, I already did that, the way you measure thing is really cute by the way, very effective, the way pros do it.” I grin towards the frustrated girl “Hey, Wendy and Joy are going to be here later, don’t you want to spend some time with me in the meantime?” I offer to the annoyed Seulgi while arranging the papers hitting them against the desk.

 

“I’m not going to let this TV collect dust any longer.” She says very decided pointing at the device resting on the floor, probably the first time she has shot me down. “And we already did plenty of that this morning, didn’t we? Or do you want more of this woman.” She grins wigging her brows.

 

“How can you say stuff like that with so much confidence?” I scoff knowing she’s only teasing me, she’s too into this TV thing, I could throw myself at her right now and she would still turn around and keep staring at that wall.

 

The thought alone makes me not want to try, my pride wouldn't be able to take it.

 

And besides, the girl isn’t lying, she had come to my house at an early hour, school hours despite being a Saturday, she even had to manage to wake me up from my heavy sleep to let her in, she must have called me a thousand times before I woke up annoyed and confused until I realized she was the reason.

 

My mother had promised Yeri to take her to her game today leaving me all alone, I had plans to sleep until late in the morning, after all, we wouldn’t see each other until later for the supposed study group we organized, the study group everyone promise will be used to revise the material for the next week tests.

 

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the girl’s presence, ok, well, maybe not at first, I was pretty annoyed at her for being woken up and have my plans ruined.

 

The kisses that followed my complaint made up for it though.

 

“Is that a yes or a no?”

 

“Shut up.” I roll my eyes yet can’t help but laugh at her silliness. “Don’t even try, I don’t want to risk being caught again, mom could return at any minute now with Yeri” I say with honesty.

 

“Right.” The girl pouts and returns to her task fueled by her obsessive personality, it’s kind of like a tunnel vision, when she puts her mind into something she can’t keep it off her head until is done or there’s absolutely no possible way of doing it.

 

That’s how she’s good at the things that matter to her, something to be admired really, I’m guessing this is why she’s so great at sports, how she can train every day, at school and at home, and rarely complain about it, she sees things differently than most people.

 

Also, I imagine this quality of hers is the reason she comes up with such elaborate plans for things that should be really simple, like a date or getting a gift, taking it way overboard with her overthinking.

 

I like to call this thinking process Seulgi-like.

 

Why am I suddenly overgeneralizing her? Maybe I should tell her she can stop now and get this over with.

 

“There has to be a way.” Seulgi takes off her sweater and throws it on the undone bed.

 

“Give it to me.” I instruct pointing at the sweater.

 

“Ok, how about if I drill some holes in that wall and we mount it.” She says with a cheeky grin while handling her yellow sweater. “Aesthetic even.” She stands in front of the wall caressing it. “Nothing blocks the door and we get a pretty cinematic view.”

 

“Do you even have the tools to do that? And if you do, do you even know how to?” I ask amused while folding the garment in my hands and placing it on top of the dresser she wanted to move just a few moments ago, the same dresser filled with all of her things.

 

A couple of sweaters she left behind before, a shirt she spilled something on and forgot to take with her, some sweatpants she uses for lounging around when she gets tired of her jeans, an arrangement of snacks and energy drinks, some accessories like bracelets rings and sunglasses, even some of her notebooks stay here in my room.

 

It has only been about a week but things have been pilling up little by little since the short time she started her so called vacation, every time she stops by, which is every day, she leaves something behind, and if I say something she only says she’ll get it later, but clearly by the sight in front of me, the girl doesn’t follow through.

 

It feels like we’re playing house, and being completely honest, there’s no one thing about it I hate, the more time we spend together the more I feel myself fall deeper into this comfortable warm feeling, something I haven’t felt since...actually….I don’t remember the last time I’ve felt like this.

 

We have been spending so much time together, no one can deny that, yet it feels like is not enough for me.

 

It almost feels like she’s living here and only pays visits to her parents at night, and surprisingly, they don’t seem to mind, even after the…Let's call it Incident, we had last week, it’s good to know Seulgi wasn’t lying when she said they don’t have a problem with me or with us, just with, well, her big mouth and even with that they have been very lenient about it, guess they understand is hard to stop her daughter when they are busy with work.

 

Taking the credit car, her TV and video games away was truly the best punishment they could do all things considered.

 

“Well, no and no.” She groans. “But it would be so much easier.” If she or anyone she knew had one, I bet she would have gotten one and ruined my walls by now.

 

“I’m curious, you haven’t mentioned it or even looked at it this whole time.” I point out while giggling “Why so much interest now?”

 

Seulgi stops to ponder for a moment while squinting her eyes.

 

“Well, you know how we’re actually spending almost every single day together, no rushing, no interruptions, not even one call to get back home and sometimes without the kid or your mom around? Why would I waste that away watching TV?” Seulgi shakes her head like it’s an obvious answer, I smile at that, it has been a great week I admit. “And so this thing has stayed there on the floor and, well…Your mom questioned when she was going to finally see us using it and I kind of got embarrassed.” She scrunches up her nose. “She knows too much.”

 

“That she does.” I giggle. “Listen, handy girl, look at me, I got here everything you need to pass your tests next week.” I say showing her the papers. “As long as you review this you should be good.”

 

“That’s what you were doing? I thought you were working on your own stuff.” She says putting a hand over her chest and pouting cutely. “Why did you do all that? You know I only asked for a bit of help, that’s why we’re meeting with the other two today…”

 

“You really weren’t paying any attention to me I see.” I say chuckling and shaking my head. “With these, we can focus only on math today and maybe give those two some spare time to be together, I think it would be nice, don’t you think?”

 

“Yeah, nice, you’re really nice, but babe, you didn’t have to do that, we could have worked on it together later.” Seulgi keeps on pouting cutely.

 

“It only took me a bit of time, it’s nothing.” I say omitting the part where I had to stay awake until very late searching for everything she needed in order to study. “I am your tutor after all.”

 

“But are you really? I don’t remember hiring you again.” She corrects with a big grin adorning her face “You spoil me too much.” The girl moves from her spot to envelop me in a tight hug and filling my face with quick short loving pecks, the gesture causes me to giggle and almost makes my glasses fall off, I hug her arms welcoming the sudden burst of affection.

 

Missing some sleep is totally worth it.

 

“It’s only the material for the classes you missed, it was really easy and fast since you left your notebooks here.” I say leaning my body against hers. “It’s really nothing.”

 

“You’re worried I’m going to let my grades drop again, huh?” she affectionately kisses my hair, I can’t hear even a bit of anything negative in her voice, the comment still doesn’t sit right with me.

 

“What, no.” I furrow my brows taken by surprise by her comment.

 

“Really? Because even the coach warned me about it, even though I’m going to most of the practices to watch…” she chuckles resting her chin on my head. “He said he would talk to you so you could keep a tight leash on me or something.”

 

“No, I’m not worried about it, for real.” I assure her turning my chair to face the girl with a scowl on my face “Joy told me about it...well...Wendy mentioned it you wanted to study with her because you spaced out during most of the classes last week.”

 

I’m not lying, I’m not worried about the way she thinks, more like, I don’t want anything to make her even more demotivated and upset now that she can’t play, and if I can help then I will.

 

“Ah, I forget you have a spy working from the inside now.” She smiles while I cup her cheeks. “I wasn’t slacking, I just had other stuff on my mind, I promise.”

 

“Seulgi, I don’t doubt you I only want to help.” I reassure her, I don’t know if she’s being honest or not with her good mood but I need her to understand this.

 

“I know, I love you” she pecks my lips, I can feel her smiling sighing contently against my lips, then she pulls back and fixes my glasses while sporting that cheeky smile of hers. “Still, I feel kind of bad, you’re always doing things for me, I need to give something back”

 

“Like what?” I ask tilting my head.

 

“Well, I don’t have much to offer…” she says deep in thought as she takes a seat on the bed and dragging my chair to be positioned in front of her.

 

“Don’t say that”

 

“I can’t cook or teach you anything you don’t already know like you do with me…Every single day.” She hums letting me squish her cheeks with my hands. “The cooking more so lately.”

 

“You know plenty of things I don’t know myself.” I correct her not liking when she puts herself down even if she isn’t serious about it.

 

“Like…”

 

“Hm, sports.” Seulgi scoffs offended.

 

“Sports, really?” She states in disbelief making me giggle.

 

“I’m kidding”

 

“If you can’t come up with one good thing in a minute I’m going to sulk all day.” She says with a pout already forming on her lips.

 

Uh, oh, I think I unintentionally offended her.

 

“Something you can teach me?” I ask more seriously this time.

 

“Something you don’t know, yes” she looks at me expectantly, clearly she wants me to give her a good answer.

 

I wanted to tell her how she taught me so much already by just being by my side every day, how she has made my life more enjoyable, how her hard work inspires me, about happiness and what it feels to be happy and all sorts of other things but I can sense that’s not quite the answer she’s looking for, she wants something she can do something she can see with her own eyes.

 

Plus that’s too embarrassing to say out loud.

 

Something does come to mind but is not a thing that makes me excited but her expression is starting to become a little sad and I’m afraid if I take any longer I might hurt her feelings for real.

 

Oh here it goes.

 

“You said you’d teach me how to drive, remember?” I say tilting my head deep in thought. “But I’m a lost cause.” I add already seeing her eyes lit up with excitement.

 

“Oh, that’s right!” She nods pleased. “I did say that, I had forgotten about it.”

 

Dammit.

 

At least she looks happy.

 

Then her facial expression drops.

 

“Hey, what do you say if we go to the living room and use the TV downstairs? We can keep talking there, you know, before your mom gets here, she is about to arrive, right?” Seulgi says suddenly rushing to look at the time on her phone.

 

“Huh? I think so?” I say confused at the sudden change of subject.

 

I swear sometimes she has the attention span of a puppy.

 

“It’s just...every time she gets here I’m inside your room.” She chuckles embarrassed while pulling me up, I hug her waist as soon as I’m standing gigging at her words, she’s not wrong. “Even I’m starting to feel disrespected.”

 

Well, she’s not wrong.

 

 

 

+++

 

 

 

Joy was the first one to arrive at our so called study group, her father had dropped her off as usual giving her little girl a kiss on the cheek, then, the minute the front door closed and Mr. Park was gone she had made Seulgi spit out her water and make teasing remarks when the taller girl took off the large hoodie that was covering her body revealing her outfit.

 

Seulgi had complimented her which earned her a playful scold on my part.

 

The girl had brought a tight black tank top that revealed more skin than the usual shirt and sweaters she usually wears paired with some skin tight gray jeans, the outfit surely accentuates Joy’s developing curves and was in all honestly very flattering.

 

“Wait for Wendy to get here, should be fun.” Seulgi had whispered in my ear while Joy took off the ponytail holding her long hair up and making it aesthetically fall on her exposed shoulders.

 

Not too long ago my girlfriend had confessed Wendy doesn’t know what to do with herself when Joy pulls this off, it freezes her and, in Seulgi’s words, transforms the girl into a big useless lump, she had requested me to keep it as a secret as if I keep secrets from my best friend.

 

Now I don’t know how to feel about giving Joy so much power on the girl, but it sure does makes it entertaining.

 

“No no, put it back on and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter