Chapter 5

Sweep Me off My Feet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi is really excited about Saturday's date, like really excited, we haven't talked much after that day but I know she is, not because her eyes shine with anticipation or anything like that since I haven't seen her that much but because the number of texts increased...a lot, and even though the basketball team is really busy preparing for the first game she still manages to send little pieces of paper with messages on them. I don't get it, she could just...text me that, whatever.

 

“And if you miss me too much and want to see me, just text me and I'll be there.” Joy reads today's message while we eat lunch on the rooftop of the school. “Oh, there's something at the bottom. Please answer my texts.” She giggles showing me the paper. “She even drew a sad face how cute.”

 

“She could've texted me that.”

 

“This way is cuter and you should totally text her back.” She makes an exaggerated sad face. “Don't you feel bad for her?”

 

Feeling bad for her is what got me into this mess. “Who gave you that anyway?”

 

“The janitor.”

 

“Really?” I roll my eyes. “Let's hope he didn't read it before giving it to you.” I cringe at the thought of him reading Seulgi describing what she likes about me.

 

“Have you told her you can't go to the date tomorrow?” She asks worried while I sneeze yet again.

 

“No, I should though...” I agree with her.

 

“Poor baby is going to be devastated.” She grins. “I still can't believe you agreed on going on a date with her after all you've told me, you're such a liar.”

 

“I was tricked.” I defend myself maybe a little too loudly.

 

“Sure you were.”

 

“She created all this mood and...and I felt sympathetic towards her and said yes.” I exhale loudly. “She made me believe she failed the exam and looked like that face she drew there.” I point to the letter. “It was pity, yes.” She scoffs not believing my words.

 

“Regardless of why, you still accepted.” She shrugs. “And you should tell her you have to postpone it.”

 

“I know...” I groan. “I'll tell her after class.” I cough a couple of times feeling a little sicker as the hours pass.

 

“Or you could tell her now.” She starts typing on my phone. “I need to talk to you, meet me on the second floor.” She says slowly as I try to take the phone from her “And...sent.” She throws the phone into my lap looking pleased.

 

“K, I'm heading there :)”

 

“Wow, that was a fast reply.” She laughs. “She's got it bad.”

 

Glaring at Joy I stand up lazily. “You're so annoying, why are we friends?” She grins back and pulls an arm around my shoulder.

 

“Because I'm amazing.” this time I laugh “And you're sick. I want you to go straight home after class not to stay out late again hanging out with your girlfriend, I bet that's what got you sick in the first place.” She scolds me.

 

“She's not my girlfriend.” I smile hearing her concern, she might not show it much but she's a very warm person. “Ok, you're right. I'll see you in the classroom.”

 

With heavy steps I go to what Joy chose as our meeting point, I have to admit, I kind of feel bad to have to cancel our date, she's been so excited asking what I like and whatnot. It kind of got me curious about what she has under her belt for our date, not that I would admit that to Joy.

 

Seulgi is standing there with her back leaned against the wall looking for me on the hallways with her eyes shining looking totally pleased that I called her here, she moves on her feet nervously as a small smile plays on her lips with her hands hidden in her trademark jacket.

 

I clear my throat to make my presence known, when her eyes meet mine she grins happily making her eyes disappear. She always does that whenever I go along with her little schemes I've noticed, like me being here right now thanks to her constant begging.

 

“Hi.” She says cheerfully jogging to where I'm standing. “You texted.” She states smiling big. “Missed me too much?”

 

“Ugh, don't even start with that.”

 

“Because I did.” She continues. “You got my letter, right?”

 

“Yeah, don't make the janitor do that again please.”

 

“Why not? He doesn't mind.”

 

“You could text me that instead of bothering him.”

 

“Ah but that doesn't have the same effect.” She explains confidently. “Paper is kind of retro, don't you think? It's more charming I'd say.”

 

“It's ridiculous-” I have to stop talking to cough several times. “Sorry.” I apologize to her.

 

“Are you ok?” She asks worried, her confident smile and flirtatious behavior disappearing in an instant, her attitude kind of caught me off guard.

 

“This...is what I wanted to talk about, I don't think I can go to our date tomorrow...”

 

“Are you sick?” She tilts her head.

 

“Yeah, I think I caught something...” I tentatively search for her reaction. “So...we can't have our date.”

 

“I understand.” I must have looked shocked because she lets out a small giggle before explaining herself. “Do you want to go on a date while feeling like crap?” I shake my head slowly. “Exactly, I don't want you to feel bad while being with me.” She shrugs.

 

“That simple.” She's so easy going it's kind of weird for me, especially because I have multiple pieces of evidence on me showing how annoying she has been waiting for Saturday.

 

“Yeah, there are other weekends.” I have another coughing fit and when I'm able to calm myself I notice how close she got to me while I was distracted. “As long as you're not lying to me of course”

 

“What are you-” She puts a hand on my forehead looking serious. “Doing...” I finish quietly while she ignores me.

 

“You're warm.” She comments fixing my hair making me shudder, weird. “Don't you want to go home?” The bell rings surprising us both and making her take a few steps back.

 

“No, I don't want them to call my mom, she already has a lot to deal with at work.” She hums nodding.

 

“Ok, then I'm going to take you home after class, I won't take no for an answer.” She starts walking away after winking at me not giving me chance to object as the halls start to fill with people. She needs to stop this disappearing act she does when she doesn't want me to say no to her requests.

 

I can't help but smile, she's so much tolerable when she's not being all charming and making embarrassing compliments.

 

Not that I would admit that to her.

 

 

 

+++

 

 

 

I woke up feeling awful on Saturday, fever, cough, runny nose. You name it, I have it. Still, I made breakfast and took care of everything so my mom wouldn't notice my state, she's being busy with work and taking extra hours to pay for everything we need so the last thing I want to do is worry her just for a silly sickness.

 

But after she walked out the door with Yeri who insisted on going with her knowing I'm sick and giving me space to rest, I crashed on the couch and fell asleep instantly, now that I'm alone I can properly have that so much needed good rest.

 

That was the original plan.

 

The insisting ringing of my phone wakes me up startled, thinking maybe it's my mom calling me to pick up Yeri I quickly stand up and answer it without thinking. “Hello?” I say trying to mask my sickness.

 

“Um, hi. How are you feeling?” It takes me a few moments before my brain registers who it is. “Could you open the door?” She says unsure.

 

“You're here?” I say surprised getting up the couch quickly putting my frames on fixing my hair while going over the door and open it to check.

 

“I brought soup.” Seulgi who stills has her phone on her ear says grinning. “Also I got some medicine.” It's weird seeing her without her varsity jacket and instead wearing a blue jean jacket, it's a small thing but she looks more approachable like this. She still has her team's snapback reminding me who she is though.

 

“Sorry, I'm not home.” She laughs while I hang up the phone and pretend to close the door, just pretend because even if I wanted to she did come here to check if I'm ok, with soup included.

 

Kind of sweet I must say.

 

“Don't be like that.” She says holding onto the door. “My intentions are nothing but good...today.” She grins.

 

“Why are you here.” I let her pass and close the door behind me. “Aren't you worried about getting sick?”

 

“Stupid people don't get sick.” She says seriously making me chuckle. “And Joy told me to check up on you because she can't do it herself.”

 

“She did?” I raise my brows. “I didn't know you guys talked.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter