Chapter 4

Sweep Me off My Feet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “Good morning :)”

 

Another day, another good morning text from Seulgi. She kept her word of texting me later very well, even when I'm in class, at night and especially on weekends, even if we see each other every day she finds something to text me about, sometimes she writes about her practice or random things she's watching on tv.

 

I tried to not answer but the phone kept on beeping and beeping that even my mom has started to suspect, asking not really subtly if I'm dating someone and telling me how she's my mother and I should trust her with anything.

 

And thanks to her little joke with Yeri the other day she told Joy about my girlfriend Kang Seulgi, she almost had a heart attack when the cheerful little girl said that while jumping on the couch saying how awesome my girlfriend is and how she took us to eat ice cream. Now she can't stop teasing me about it even after I explained everything to her.

 

Stupid Seulgi.

 

I found out that answering actually keeps the beeping down, especially when I block her sleazy advances, or if I'm too bothered I let Yeri text her which is actually something Seulgi seems to enjoy, it's cute how Yeri gets excited when her idol answers her even when you can tell she doesn't know what my little sister is writing about.

 

I can argue about the determined and sincere but not with the great with kids, she really is great with my little sister.

 

“I can't say that to you in person today ):” I furrow my brows reading her text, well that's a first.

 

“Why can't you?”

 

“The test is today, I want to prepare.” She just wants that date.

 

“Are you nervous?” I type after pouring Yeri some cereal for breakfast.

 

“Not really, I'm just sad cuz I won't get to see you.” I scoff.

 

I don't get to reply when another message arrives.

 

“I prepared something so you won't miss me.”

 

“What did you do, Seulgi.” I mutter re-reading her reply.

 

“What's so funny, unnie?” Yeri asks tilting her head. I give her a questioning look while typing on my phone. “You're smiling.” She shrugs.

 

“I'm not smiling.” I reply to her touching my cheeks confirming her words, that's it, no more texting today.

 

 

 

+++

 

 

 

Joy meets me at the entrance where for the first time since I met Seulgi, we pass without being stopped by the captain of the basketball team and her always cheerful smile. Instead, we are stopped by the small Wendy who comes rushing to stand in front of us.

 

She puts a hand on her knee, catching her breath making signals with her other hand asking us to wait for a moment. “Wait.” She says out of breath. “I got a message for you.” She looks up and shows us a strained smile. “Irene, eeeh.” She looks at Joy unsure.

 

“Joy.” She says amused. I'm already dreading her words.

 

“Right, good morning girls.” She takes out a piece of paper from her jacket and clears . “This is from Seulgi.” She explains showing me the letter. “Ok.” She clears again looking embarrassed. “Irene...I'm sorry I can't be with you this morning, I'm sure you're disappointed like I am to start the day without seeing each other.” I scoff while Joy giggles quietly beside me. She truly is ridiculous.

 

“But be sure this heartache won't be for long, as you know, I'm working hard so we can have our date. I promise to make it up to you later.”

 

“Do you always do what Seulgi tells you?” Joy asks laughing.

 

“I own her favor.” She looks at me. “For screwing something up.”

 

“When you exposed her lies to me?”

 

“Yeah” She looks at the letter again. “Where was I?”

 

“That she's going to make it up for their time lost.” Joy says making me roll my eyes, she's loving this.

 

“Oh right, thank you.” She smiles. “Since we don't have any tutoring session today, I was hoping you could meet me at the parking lot so we can go and eat something or do whatever you want.” Wendy stops reading the letter and shuts her eyes tightly muttering something under her breath, she opens her eyes and looks at the letter again. “Until then, I promise I'll be thinking of you.” She exhales “And...your hot body.” She mutters the last part but we still hear it. Joy laughs out loud while Wendy and I blush.

 

“Stupid Seulgi.” I huff flustered.

 

“I'm sorry, she means well. I promise.” Wendy says cringing and putting the letter back in her jacket. “She's not used to chasing girls like this since you know...They come to her.” Joy nods in agreement.

 

“I think it's cute.” Joy says. “She's making an effort.”

 

“Exactly.”

 

“It's ridiculous.” I say incredulous listening to them talk like this is normal behavior. Luckily everything will end when she doesn't get her perfect score, I won't tell Wendy that though, I'm not that mean.

 

“She's pretty ridiculous.” Wendy agrees. “But she's very serious about this, she was even studying during practice.” She grins showing care with her eyes. “Please do as the letter says.” She begs me before taking her leave.

 

“Are you going to meet her after class?” Joy asks with a serious tone. “You should.”

 

“Why should I?” I whine. “Why is everybody on her side?”

 

“She's not going to get that perfect score. I know it, you know it. So at least give her this.” She explains smiling patting my back. “She probably knows she's going to fail too."

 

Going from below average to a perfect score is an almost impossible goal but this is Kang Seulgi we're talking about, she sounded so sure about winning, it's hard for me to think like Joy does because I do believe she can make it.

 

I can't stop thinking about her in my math class, right now she's doing her test, a part of me wants her to excel since I'm her tutor, my honor is at play and to be honest, I'm worried she might fail completely and get discouraged. That would make the rest of the year very difficult for all of us, her ego does seem pretty fragile.

 

“Wish me good luck ):” I smile reading the message, Joy nudges me catching my attention just to show me a knowing smirk, I just ignore her and pocket my phone again.

 

 

 

+++

 

 

I found myself in the bathroom again while Joy fixes my hair and puts red lipstick on me. “Why the red lipstick?” I ask her while she gets a hold of my cheeks making me pucker my lips.

 

“It's y.” She says concentrated. “If you're going to keep your glasses on you need the red lipstick.”

 

“Why?” I ask again.

 

“It makes you look mature.” She says admiring her work. “Like a y secretary.” I roll my eyes and look at myself in the mirror. “Take that sweater off please.”

 

“What kind of secretaries do you know?” I say watching how my makeup makes me look really... Yeah, let's go with mature.

 

“From...movies.”

 

“Movies, huh?” I say running a hand through my hair. “The rated kind perhaps?”

 

“Perhaps.” She laughs. “You look nice and not star like, stop being so against trying something different.” I don't think that comment was just about the makeup.

 

“You want me to date her more than she want

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter