Chapter 3

Sweep Me off My Feet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To my surprise, when I arrive at the library Seulgi is there already, not only that but she's so concentrated reading the colored cards I gave her the last time we saw each other that she doesn't notice my presence, her furrowed brows and pursed lips makes the remaining anger I had towards her for her little act last Friday disappear, at least she's doing one of the things she said she would.

 

“You're here early.” She looks at me with her brows still furrowed, mumbling words, it takes her a few seconds to stand up and greet me with her trademark smile.

 

“Um yeah, I came here right after practice...For real this time.” She adds the last part seeing me glare at her, which explains her wet hair and soapy smell. She pulls the chair next to her for me to sit. “You can check with the coach if you want.” She offers.

 

“I believe you.” I take the cards from her. “You're studying by yourself, I'm shocked.”

 

“I do plan to win our bet.” She smirks. “I already got our date planed, you're gonna like it.”

 

Our bet, right, I totally forgot about that. “Since you lied to me the bet is canceled.” I say quickly, she looks dead serious so I'm not taking any chances.

 

“What? You can't do that!” She laughs. “We shook hands and everything, whatever happened after doesn't matter.”

 

“Depends, answer me this first.” I turn on my chair to face her. “You didn't have practice on Friday, right?”

 

“Right.”

 

“But you still got here all sweaty and breathing heavily, how?” She avoids my eyes looking down at the table taking a minute before speaking out.

 

“I asked the librarian to text me when you'd leave.” She chuckles looking embarrassed. “Um then I put some water on my face and the breathing was pure acting.”

 

“Why?” I can't help but laugh, she's so ridiculous. “Seems like a lot of work just to not study.”

 

“I didn't want to study but I did want to see you.” She shrugs. “And I figured that and an apology would make you accept to go out with me.” If only she used her brain like this for studying.

 

“Yeah, the bet it's totally canceled.” I repeat myself. “I'm not interested in going on a date with a liar.”

 

“Wait, no.” Her smile flatters. “I'm telling the truth now, that has to count for something!”

 

“After you lied and made me stay here instead of enjoying my afternoon.”

 

“But you did enjoy your afternoon with me.”

 

“No, I didn't.” I refuse to admit that.

 

“And if you think about it, me lying to you just to see you shows how determined I am to be with you.” She raises one finger. “And me telling you everything right now actually shows sincerity.” She shows me two fingers and smiles triumphantly proud of her little explanation. “You can ask anyone and they'd tell you those are good traits for a dating prospect.”

 

I blink a couple of times processing her words before breaking into a laughing fit, she seriously is too much. “Are you for real right now?” I say struggling to speak. “You're ridiculous.”

 

“I'm very serious.” She joins me laughing softly. “In fact, let's ditch the bet and just go out this weekend.”

 

“I don't think so.” I point to the clock. “And we already wasted enough time for today.”

 

“No, let's talk more.” She puts a hand on top of my things stopping me. “I missed you this weekend, did you missed me?”

 

“I didn't.” I say smiling, I was waiting for that since I got here. “Let's study, Seulgi.”

 

“Depends, are we still doing our bet or not?” She smirks because she knows she's the one controlling the situation.

 

“If I say no...”

 

“I'll do the bare minimum.” She sinks into her chair to prove her point.

 

I grunt annoyed. “Then yes, we're still doing our bet.”

 

“Why are you worried anyway? You said it was impossible for me to get a perfect score.”

 

Her words should comfort me but she spent the next hour asking about things she didn't get and needs help with, I'm surprised to find out she's almost dominating the subject, she even knows the dates, the names, everything.

 

Of course, I had to make a bet with her for a freaking history test. All she has to do is memorize everything, she doesn't even have to get it, I should have picked math or chemistry.

 

I got a bad feeling.

 

She has this serious expression totally different from what I have seen these past days and she asks really good questions, no jokes, no flirting and no interruptions. The whole hour is spent actually studying, I don't think she even needs me to pass this test.

 

What kind of date she has planned? Are we going to the movies? Or maybe to eat something? Knowing her it's probably something sketchy where she'd try to put her hands on me.

 

“I need a break!” She says loudly making me jump. “My head hurts.” She puts her forehead on the table and glances towards me.

 

“Um yeah, let's take a break.” I wasn't even paying attention to the last ten minutes, I was too immersed thinking about her hands on me, wait that doesn't sound right. “D-does your h-head really hurts?” Why am I stuttering?

 

 “I don't remember the last time I studied so much.”

 

“You really want to win huh?” She breaks on a smile and sits up straight again.

 

“Of course” She doesn't even hesitate. “I love winning.”

 

“That's so romantic.” She chuckles and leans in closer.

 

“I'll leave the romance for our date.”

 

“You're doing great but you still need a perfect score.” I push her away lightly, she's so forward it makes me uncomfortable. “And don't get so close.”

 

She pulls away still smirking but I still can sense her frustration towards my nonstop rejection. “Ok, sorry.” She puts her hands up in surrender mode. “I can't help myself.”

 

“Even if you win, that doesn't mean anything.” I need to make things clear for her, she needs to understand I'm not interested. “I still find you arrogant and annoying-”

 

“Determined and sincere.” She corrects me totally ignoring my words. “I think it's time to call it a day, don't you think?”

 

I look at the time and find that we stayed longer than we were supposed to, I stand up hurriedly knowing I'm already late to pick up Yeri at her friend's house, she's already mad at me because I can't pick her up directly at school. I sigh frustrated shoving my things into my bag.

 

“Did I do something wrong?” I hear her say with concern in her tone.

 

“No, I'm just late to pick up my little sister.” I explain ready to leave the place.

 

“Oh, I can drive you there.” She stands up and messily grabs her things matching my pace. “It's my fault anyway, I knew we were over time and I didn't tell you.”

 

“No, no. It's ok, I can walk.” I take my leave while she arranges her things. “See you tomorrow, Seulgi.”

 

I walk hurriedly not waiting for her reply almost jogging through the halls, I don't want to disappoint Yeri again, I promised her I would be there early and that we could have ice cream together. But when I get to the entrance breathing heavily I notice that it's pouring rain outside, I rub my arms with my hands feeling the cold humid breeze. “Great, what now?”

 

“I didn't even notice it was raining.” Seulgi catches up standing next to me and stretching her hand towards the rain. “My offer is still up.” I should accept. What other choice do I have? She takes off her varsity jacket and puts it over my head before I can speak. “Wait here.” Seulgi runs outside disappearing in the rain.

 

The jacket on my head it's so I can walk without g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter