Chapter 4 : Step 2: Please the victim.

The playboy

Myungsoo couldn't help but feel, conflicted with his so call new friend's request. Even though they agreed on being friends just yesterday, it didn't mean that Myungsoo was now his best friend forever. And to make things worse, Woo hyun didn't seem to like him at all. How did he know that? Simple, ever since this morning, the guy wouldn't stop shooting glares at him. But that didn't make him feel bad because he didn't like the other boy either. 

"Ya, Myungsoo shi, are you listening?" Sungyeol's voice call him out of his thoughts. Realizing that Sungyeol was waiting for an answer, he shook his head in a negative sign. Sungyeol laughed at the honesty Myungsoo answered with and let himself loudly fall on the seat next to him in the library

"I know it is a little weird to ask you this but there's no one else beside you. I usually go with Woo hyun but he's busy with his family this afternoon so can you give me a hand with this? You just have to cover for me while i do my thing."

"And what is it exactly?"

"Nothing worth saying."

In that case, why should i do it? Myungsoo wondered, slightly annoyed. However, he complied anyway, knowing that agreeing in anything that guy wanted would be good for him.

"Awesome, in that case, meet you in front of the school gate after class." Myungsoo simply nodded and returned to reading his book while the two other boys walked away. Myungsoo didn't quite know why Sungyeol asked him to accompany him when he could ask another friend of his, but he couldn't really complain. Faster, his charm will work on him, faster he'll be able to get it over with.

So at the end of classes, he was already waiting for the other boy near the gate as asked. The weather was chilly and the wait made him regret that he didn't wear anything more than his coat. Just why did he think he'll be able to handle such a cold weather with being dressed so lightly? Shoving his hand in the front pocket of his pants to keep them warm, he then his head down in hopes to protect his face from the wind that had only intensify since his arrival.

"Aish, seriously, What's taking him so long?" Myungsoo let out a huff and lean against the gate, his eyes staring intensely towards the school building, hoping for Sungyeol to appear. When fifteen minutes passed and Sungyeol still didn't show up, Myungsoo breathed out a curse under his breath and decided to leave when the door of the school's building slammed open and none other than Sungyeol ran out. When he reached Myungsoo, he struggled to regain his breath while saying

" I'm sorry, our homeroom teacher took longer than i thought."

" Let's just go", Myungsoo simply said and turned away from the other boy, not really in the mood of hearing some excuses. He was litterally freezing and the only thought he coud fancy right now was a steaming hot, hot chocolat in his room covered under his sheet. Gee, how much he wanted to go home now. Sungyeol interrupted the train of his thoughts, when he once again grabbed him by the arm. A habit that Myungsoo would never really get used of. Sungyeol dragged him then to the opposite road Myungsoo thought they were heading to and said

"Actually it's this way."

Myungsoo wanted to pull out his hand from the boy's touch but quickly gave up the thought, remembering that the whole plan was to please the boy. So if holding him by the wrist would make a difference, so be it. They finally came to a stop in front of a bus stop and Myungsoo wondered why they were taking the bus. From what he remembers from the conversation this morning in the library, Sungyeol said that he had something to do at his family's headquarter. Which probably meant his family's company and it was in the center of Gangnam's district, if he believes what he heard from rumours. So, just where was Sungyeol dragging him to? Myungsoo snapped out of his thought when he felt something tugged on his head. When he realized what was the cause of it, he stood lightly taken aback. Sungyeol had just slip on a beanie on Myungsoo's head, and by the way Sungyeol's hair were sticking out furiously, the beanie was originally on his head.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/52469ca304877353849c3704572c6fde/tumblr_n5z113itYB1qa0m06o1_500.gif

"Why...? Ah, it's ok", Myungsoo started and was about to take off the beanie to give it back to his rightful owner but, Sungyeol quickly turned away and stared off, looking like he wanted to avoid any more awkwardness. However, Myungsoo didn't feel like taking his charity so he pulled out the beanie and continue

"I don't need it. Here, take it back."

Unfortunately either Sungyeol didn't hear him, either he was pretending to not hear, either ways he ignored amazingly well Myungsoo. When the bus arrived, Sungyeol finally said

"Let's go." After a second of hesitation, Myungsoo finally slid the beanie on top of his head and followed Sungyeol silently in the bus. Nevertheless, it didn't mean he was grateful in any way for what Sungyeol did for him. Ok, maybe just a little bit then, but it was the least Sungyeol could do for making him wait outside, in the cold.

After scanning the bus for a seat, Myungsoo manage to spot one not far from where he stood. So without much thought, he slumped lazily down on it when his eyes met those of an old woman looking at him, her eyes full of expectation. At first he thought, the woman were looking beyond him but he later on realized that she was expecting him to offer the seat he was on to her. The woman has no luck though for Myungsoo certainly had no intention to give up a good seat for a stranger? Old or not, it didn't make a difference to Myungsoo. Sungyeol, on the other hand, didn't seem to entertain the same ideal as him, because he grabbed him (again) by the arm and pulled him out of the seat, proposing then Myungsoo's seat to the old lady. Even going so far as to help the old lady to the seat. Something that only a prince like person like Sungyeol would do. Another reason why Myungsoo didn't like about the guy. 

"Grandma, are you well seated?"

"Yes, thank you very much, on. It's a relief to see that there's still some well mannered young men's these days, she answered, her eyes travelling to Myungsoo when she said that. And that really bugged Myungsoo that didn't appreciate the silent reproach those wrinkle eyes gave him. So now, not wanting to give away his seat was not having manners? What a joke, Myungsoo thought dismayed. Was being old an excuse to receive special treatment? In that case, he'll give up his youth anytime.

"Ya, was that really necessary?" asked Myungsoo discreetly to Sungyeol. Sungyeol gave him the "What do you think" look and answered

" It depends."

"Ya, in that case, why did you give away my seat? I didn't want to give it away", Myungsoo declared, looking really displeased. Sungyeol let out an exasperated sigh then said

" Just forget it, will you. It's just a seat."

"But..." Myungsoo sigh painfully and stared out the window. The bus made about two stops before Sungyeol finally announced that they arrived at destination. Myungsoo was surprise of how fast they arrived. Normally he found bus ride endless. However, he didn't dwell much on the subject and took in the view of their destination. 

It didn't take a genius for Myungsoo to recognise the place. They were, after all, in the richest residential neighborhood in Korea. Seocho District. When they got out of the bus, Myungsoo turned to Sungyeol and asked

"I thought you say we were going to your family's heaquarter?"

"And we are", he said as he leaded the way to an enormous mansion that could probably shelter Myunsoo's house without problem.

"So what exactly should i be doing?" Wondered again Myungsoo as he contemplate the mansion in awed. Sungyeol pushed open the automatic gate and said

"Simple, i need you to make it seem like i'll be studying with you till late tonight."

"In brief, i'm your cover story?"

"Exactly. Let's go", he said and before Myungsoo can protest, he found himself in the middle of the fancy living room of the Lee family. For the very first time of his life, Myungsoo felt intimidated by so many sparkly things. He doesn't even know when was the last time he was in such an expensive looking place. Oh yeah, never. Gosh, just in what did he get himself into once again. His thoughts were cut short by Sungyeol who said

"Wait here, i'll be quick. I just need to grab some stuff and we're out of here."

Without waiting for Myungsoo's answer, he rushed out of the room and Myungsoo was left alone in a room that look like it could hold his two house from his neiborhood at the same time. The room was actlually a circular room, painted in a smooth white color that had an amazing contrast with the cristal chandelier hanging on the ceiling. It was decorated in a very simple yet elegant way. With a white sofa in the center of the room, a traditional chimney that ornated the wall, giving then a subtle of warmth. On the walls, very few picture were hanged but the very few that were present were all from mens in unblemished suit with beautiful ladies by their side.

What caught Myungsoo's attention though was the picture of a little boy around twelve or probably less that held dearly a girl that looked like, she had cancer. Myungsoo moved closer to get a better look at it, when a deep voice came from behind him and said

"Excuse me, but who are you?" Myungsoo bit back a cuss for being startle and spun around as he said

"I'm Sungyeol shi's friend, Kim Myungsoo sir", and he slightly bowed his head to ackowledge the old man in front of him. The man looked around his 50. He had black hair with a slight touch of grey that gave him a pretty good look. He was wearing like most of the mens in the picture, an impeccable suit. From the way, he studied Myungsoo, he must've been pleased in some way cause he ask

"Are you going to be studying with the young master?" Myungsoo had time to only nod before Sungyeol appeared with a bag pack slung over his shoulder, a coat twice his size and what looked like a guitar case in his other hand. The old man looked confuse and Myungsoo didn't blame him. The man was then about to ask why Sungyeol had so many things with him for a simple study session but Sungyeol didn't let him as he pull Myungsoo by the wrist to the door while saying over his shoulder 

"Tell mom and dad, that i won't eat with them today. I'll be staying with Myungsoo. And don't worry, i'll be back before curfew."

A muffled "Young master" could be heard from the mansion but Sungyeol ignored it and pulled Myungsoo, once again, to the nearest bus stop. A deja vue, that really annoyed Myungsoo. Breathless, Sungyeol finally lets go of Myungsoo's wrist and said

"Thank you. I owe you again, it seems."

"Yeah it seems. But tell me, who was that guy back there?"

"Who? Samchon (1) Kwang min? He's our butler"

"Samchon is your butler", said Myungsoo more like a statement than an actual question. A reaction that made Sungyeol laugh before he explains

"He's not really my uncle. Not in blood at least. But he took care of me since birth so he's like family."

"Oh", Myungsoo simply said as he turns towards the bus that arrived.

"You should get going, don't worry i'll pay for you." With a frown, Myungsoo turns back toward the other boy and asks

"You're not coming?"

"No, i have to go somewhere first."

Fine, Myungsoo thought and was about to walk away when he remembered his goal, so with a tired sigh, he proposed reluctantly

"I'll go with you if you want." Sungyeol shot him a small smile and said

"It's ok. You've done enough. Go on. We'll just see each other tomorrow at school."

"Is anyone riding the bus?" asked impatiently the bus driver. Sungyeol looked apologetically to the old man and answers

"Yes, just a minute ahjussi." Turning back to Myungsoo, he says

"Go on."

Myungsoo brought his hand to his head to pull out the beanie but Sungyeol caught his hand and said

"Keep it."

After buying the bus, Sungyeol walks out of the bus and after a wave, he turns away and walks away before disappearing completely from Myungsoo's sight. Myungsoo didn't quite understand what the other boy was up to but one thing for sure, being his friend was quite handful. And Myungsoo hated handful. Myungsoo made his way to the back of the bus, sat down and laid tiredly his forehead against the window. Looking down on his hand, he was suprise to notice that he had unconciously pulled down his beanie. Or more like the gift from Sungyeol. A gift, huh? This was probably the first gift he ever received from anyone besides his mother. And somewhere, it tugged on his heart. Just a little though. Quickly erasing the smile he didn't know he had, he put back on the beanie and stared out of the window finding the ride home much longer than the ride to Sungyeol's home.

(1) Uncle