Chapter 17: The deal.

The playboy

Sungyeol reached his destination an hour later. And just from the police patrols parked in front of the house and the many people regroup behind the yellow tape, the scene was still being througly investigated. Pulling out his Ipad from his packbag, he checked the mail that the old man had certainly send him and read silently.

"Mr Han Jang Geuk. 46 years old. Entrepreneur. Married to Han Ji Eun who is 43 years old. They don't have kids, it seems."

Sungyeol rubbed pensively his chin wondering, just why would the assassin organisation decide to kill a couple that didn't seem that influentual. Was it possible that they had made a mistake? That's very unlikely. Sungyeol wrapped a scarf tightly around his neck then wearing a hat to complete his undercover outfit, he walked out of his car to the crime scene. Standing behind the tape, his attention fell on a rather interesting conversation. Probably were they the victims neighbor.

"How could this have happen when things were finally going so well for them. They were finally going to adopt. What monster would want to hurt such good people?" Said one of the two woman standing beside him.

"I know right. It's just so unfair. But you know what, now that i think about it. There was something fishy going on with Jang Gueuk ssi. I mean just a few days ago, i saw him arriving in a black car with some man that didn't seem frequentable. I told the police about it and they think it has something to do with the murder."

"Reall... " The two neighbors gossiped on and on about the subject though Sungyeol lost interest in them as he detache himself from the crowd and with his phone, he discreetly took picture of the house many entries. As soon as he was done, he walked back to his car and instantly called his personal IT freak.

"Hello, boss what's up? The usual energic voice could be heard from the other side of the line. 

- Alex, can you do me a favor and hack into the social worker to find the adoption file of Han Jang Keuk and Han Ji Eun.

Alex, who was a pseudo name of course,  was like many technology genius, very conservative of his talent. Their gift, like he likes to call them, was meant only to be used in the dark and as much as Sungyeol wanted to know the person that made the character Alex, he was grateful to the guy. So until he had achieve his goal, he would have to send gifts to the guy later.

Alex made a popping sound of his mouth, probably from the candy he often ate everytime Sungyeol called him, and said

"I'm on it. How much you'll pay me this time for this?"

"Don't worry, i'll give you a supplement. Just get me the information as fast as you can."

"Hey! I'm a genius not a miracle worker. But i'll see what i can do." With that last sarcastic note, Sungyeol hung up and drove back to his office where a pile of unfinish work was waiting for him. As soon as he stepped foot in the building, a wave of paparazzi lashed onto him asking about his future project here in Korea. Or with whom he was planning to work with. Annoyed by the blinding flashes, he pushed away the sleazy photographers and made his way to the elevator cooly. The minute, he walked out of the elevator, he shot dryly at his assistant

"Why are there paparazzi in the building's front hall?"

"I'm sorry sir, we're trying to get them to leave but they insist on wanting to have an inerview with you."

"Trying ain't good enough then. Get them out of here before the arrival of the investors."

"Yes sir. Oh and Sir, you have a visitor."

"A what?" Sungyeol followed the assistant nervous look from behind him where Sungyeol met, probably the last person he wanted to see right now. He was already drain with his own issue to also have Myungsoo on his back. Sungyeol let out an exasperate sigh then leading the other man into his office, he asked

"What brings you here, Myungsoo ssi? Or should i say L ssi?" Myungsoo shifted uncomfortably from the emotionless eyes of Sungyeol and said

"I wanted to view the contract with you. And drop the formalities. You're older than me after all."

"Shouldn't you be doing that with your lawyer? Although i don't see what's the problem? It's a pretty fair contract. And no, i prefer formalities. It's less rude that way." Sungyeol then entertwine his hands under his chin and asks

"So tell me. What is it do you want to review with me?" Myungsoo stared at him defiantly and handing him the contact, he said

"I highlighted what i would like to change. And added a condition of my own."

"A condition? You dare impose me a condition", Sungyeol asked more amused by the audacity of his ex friend than impressed. So with a smirk, he read the condition with lazer focus, slipping into his professional self. Unaware of the other boy's studious look on his very person. When he was done, he said

"So you don't like the clause of being paid in advance and prefer being paid only if i like the job? Are you that confident about your skill, L ssi?"

"Well, i have to, don't i?" Sungyeol restrain himself from laughing then said

"Deal. I'll have the contract rewritten then. Well, if it's all, can you please leave?"

After a minute of hesitation, Myungsoo reluctantly stood up from his seat and was about to leave but stop midway, unable to leave just like that. He hated as hell, the way Sungyeol was talking to him. It was as if he was reduced to nothing more than a stranger. Sure he was expecting that much but man, how it hurts. 

"Are you going to be like this now, hyung?" Myungsoo asked after a while. Sungyeol's feature suddenly darken at the question and in a tone, Myungsoo barely recognize as Sungyeol, he said

"Hyung? Are we friends now? Listen carefully to what i'm going to tell you L ssi. If you are looking for something such as forgiveness then you won't find it here. From now on, know your place. I'm your boss and you're just my employee. Don't give me reason to fire you. Arasseo? You can leave now", Sungyeol dryly said before concentrating on his paperwork, leaving a very shock and hurt Myungsoo standing in the middle of his office. When Myungsoo snapped out of it, he swallowed back the bitter taste of his pride and bowing respectufully to his new boss, he said

"Sorry sir. I won't step out of my place from now on."

Although it pained him to admit it, Sungyeol clearly hated him. And despite the fact that Myungsoo was well prepared of it, he didn't expect the pain to be this destabilizing. It was litterally as if his heart was being crushed over and over again. As if, he was being pushed under water when he couldn't even breathe that well already. But no matter what, he wasn't going to give up now. Sungyeol didn't back down back in high school so he wouldn't too, now that the tables had turned. If facing him head on was this little effective, he'll have to beat him on his own game. Formalities. He must seriously be mad, more like mental, to go this far for one guy. A broken one at that. Indeed love was seriously  a sickness. A bitter yet sweet disease. 

 

Sungyeol rubbed tiredly his temple from the headache, he was suddenly suffering from his unexpected meeting with Myungsoo and wondered just how lousy his luck could get. Frankly, he wasn't expecting the usual cold Myungsoo to so easily comply to his whatever wishes and to apologize beyond that. From as far as he remembered, the guy used to greatly suffer on his polite and well mannered dialect so having him suddenly being so polite, somehow left him skeptical. It seems that he wasn't the only one that changed. Though, he wasn't sure if that was good for him. After all, he could handle the cold bastard Myungsoo, he knew back in the days. As for the Myungsoo he had in front of him now, he wasn't so sure he could handle him. Letting out another sigh, his thoughts came to an halt by a call disturbing the peaceful silence. Answering his phone out of habit than curiosity, his headache instantly vanish at the information Alex collected for him.

"They were going to adopt a little girl named Sae ron. She's 9. I'm sending you right now the details but guess what else i've found."

"What?"

"Sae ron is missing. For about a week now.  It seems like no one have seen or heard of her. It's as if she never even existed." Frowning, Sungyeol opened the file sent to him and asked

"Missing you say? That's weird. The neighbor seemed to not know any of that. And wait, you said a week ago? How is that possible without the press knowing?"

"I know right? If a nine year old disappeared wouldn't it make a lot of noise? But no. There's nothing. And look at the adoption papers, do you see the section where they have to wait for the decision from the president of the general council, look who gave this agreement."

"The mayor?"

"Exactly, which brings me to the next question. Why would the mayor personally involve himself in a simple adoption procedure?"

"Weird indeed. I see", Sungyeol mutter, rubbing pensively his chin.

"So that could..." With a mischievous smile, he said

"Alex, i'm going to have to call you later. Thanks for the good work. I'll wire you the money."

"Wait a minute. Is it just me or you just figured something out. What is it?" Sungyeol looked at the picture, he took earlier from the house and said in a final tone

"I'll call you if i need anything else." With that, he ended the call.