Cards

Jong Kook and Ji Hyo

It started on her 33rd birthday, she received a hand-made card from Jong Kook Oppa. He had drawn her in triumph, surrounded by running man gold coins. It was beautifully coloured. In the card, he wrote, "Beautiful Ji Hyo, Happy birthday. May you win all the gold. Jong Kook oppa." She treasured the simple gift her oppa had given her. Of course, there’s always the combined present from the running man, but the card held a different meaning to her.

 

Her next card from him came when she agreed to star in emergency couple, "Congratulations, Ji Hyo. Work hard and your serial will succeed. Jong Kook Oppa." He had drawn her in cute doctor gown in a filming set. She must admit her oppa can draw well.

 

A drawing of her on stage with fans cheering her name came for her first fan meeting in Singapore. "Ji Hyo, you will be amazed by the support. Fighting!! Jong Kook oppa." It had reassured her that her first fan meeting will go well.

 

She won the “Female Top Excellence Award” and “Excellence Award, Actress in a Mid-length Drama” in the year end awards ceremony. Her card showed up during the next running man recording, it was her clinching two awards in her hand. "Two awards!  It’s your year, Miss Song. Jong Kook oppa."

 

Emergency couple was a success, she received a congratulations card again from him, this time he drew her in doctor gown again but this time she was on TV and a lot of people was standing around watching the show. She noticed in a corner a muscular man was watching her show on TV too. "Yeah !! Ji Hyo you did it! Jong Kook Oppa." He wrote.

 

She treasured all her cards from Jong Kook, each marking her moments in her life. She bought a file just to keep her precious cards. She also keep an album of the photos of the cards, whenever she was feeling low, she would took out the album and look through the photos, it never failed to boost her morale and she felt she could accomplish anything.

 

The next card he drew her wearing her designed cap bearing Cho2, playing basketball. "Collaboration with NBA! Way to go! Jong Kook oppa."  She grinned, she could feel him rooting for her every way of her career. Although, he did show his concerns and encouragement with the other running man, receiving the cards had a different meaning, it was something more intimate. She loved to receive his hand drawn cards.

 

When she was asked to endorsed for beauty product company, the card only shown her face. He had painstaking colour her face showing off her flawless and healthy skin. "Beautiful Ji Hyo, endorsement for flawless skin?! Help your Oppa too, can you? Ugly skin oppa." She giggled when she read her card. Her oppa skin was also great as far as she can see, not that she had ever really touched it.

 

Her second birthday card arrived shortly after. It showed her in different activities throughout the year, running man, fan meeting, drama, awards ceremony.  She was touched, he was definitely watching her. "Happy Birthday, dear Ji Hyo. Jong Kook Oppa" She seemed to spot the muscle man hiding in a small corner of the drawing. He was holding something in his hand, a present maybe?

 

A card showing her in different dresses from the 70,80 and 90s came when she agreed to star in the movie. "International star, can I have your autograph please? Your forever fan, Jong Kook Oppa." Only a fan? She was a bit disappointed. Their relationship seemed to have grown deeper, but from the cards, it didn’t seem so.

 

Sometimes, she would get an additional encouragement card in her bag, one that don’t mark her achievement, just gave her extra reassurance she was doing good. He always pointed something good no matter how small is it. It always boosted her sprite, especially when she was feeling down.

 

She received a sealed envelope on his birthday, she opened it and saw a stack of cards. The first showed a muscle man behind a large present, the second showed him untying his present, the third was he tearing off the wrapping paper, the forth he peeked into the box. On the last piece, it wrote, "From someone who lacked courage, the best birthday gift for me this year is to have Miss Song Ji Hyo to be my girlfriend. If you agree, please meet me at the restaurant at 6" Ji Hyo was shocked, happy sort of shocked, he finally asked her to be his girlfriend. 

 

She arrived at the restaurant slightly late, just 10 minutes, who asked him to make her wait so long. She saw the depressed man immediately when she entered, he was staring at the table. She walked towards him and slid a card in front of his face. That caused him to look up and he saw her gracefully sat on her seat in front of him. His face brightened. He took a second look at the card. It wrote a simple “YES!” in bold and big letters.

 

He looked up from the card, their eyes met and for the first time after so long, they both recognised the love in each other’s eyes.

 

She smiled at him and asked, "So any card for me today?" he smiled, and presented her the card for today. On the card, he was wearing a tux with blue bow and she was wearing a blue long dress. She wondered how he knew what colour she will be wearing. He drew him kissing her on the cheek behind them a big heart. It was so cheesy but she loved it. In the card, he wrote "My dear Ji Hyo, Thank you for loving me as well. I love you. Jong Kook."  His salutation had changed; she was no longer his dongsaeong but his woman.

 

They had their dinner and walked out of the restaurant holding hands. She was feeling in ecstasy, she asked him “Will you be giving me more cards in the future?”

 

“Of course, I will record your every moments, and maybe next time when they wanted to do a book on you, they can just use my cards” he promised, hugging her.