Learning New Things

Never the Same



So it turns out Luhan really wanted to know what Minseok had told Rina. Every time he asked Minseok about it the boy would just smile and say it was nothing important, and every time it made Luhan more curious.

It was true though, what Minseok had said to Rina in the hallway really hadn't been all that important, and he would and could have told Luhan. Minseok had simply had the feeling that Rina's friends were not really the sort of people she should be hanging out with. Minseok had seen the back of the girl who had laughed at Rina's discomfort and he knew in his gut that the girl was not nice. So he told Rina that if she ever need anything, she could come to him.

Minseok would have told Luhan the first time he asked, if he hadn't been so distracted by the fact that Luhan had just called him Minnie. Since when did Minseok become Minnie? And he would have told Luhan the next time he asked if Minseok hadn't seen Luhan pouting about not getting an answer. His face was too cute for words, and so Minseok decided he would mess with him a little. Just a little bit.But then because Minseok never gave a real answer, Luhan's imagination got a little out of hand.

Did they know eachother? But Minseok had introduced himself like he had never met her before. Did he like her? Was he asking her out? What if he confessed to falling in love with her at first sight? Luhan tried to stop thinking about it. He didn't know why, but the thought of Minseok being with Rina made him a little upset. Not thinking about it was not working. In fact, he couldn't stop thinking about it. The same upsetting thoughts were going around in circles in his brain, so he decided he should ask someone else about it.

 

It was after school, and eleven of the twelve boys of class EXO were crowded in Luhan's living room. They had asked Minseok if he wanted to come but he had declined, and without the boy in question Luhan thought it was the perfect time to ask his friends what they thought.

"Hey guys?" Luhan started, getting a few of his friends' attention, "Did you see Minseok talking to that girl Rina before we all went to class this morning?"

Luhan got a few blank or confused looks, and his spirits went down just a little, until he heard Kyungsoo speak up. "I did, why?"

"I was just kinda wondering if anyone overheard what they were talking about."

This time he was questioned by a slightly confused Suho, "Why?"

"Just curious." Luhan tries to sound casual, but nobody is really buying it.

Kyungoo narrows his eyes a little as he questions, "Did you ask him about it?"

Luhan eyes drop to his neatly folded hands resting in his lap. "Yes."

"And what did he say?"

"He said it was 'Nothing important'."

Kris frowns at his friend, "Then it was probably nothing important."

At this point, Tao had gone back to looking at clothes on his phone, with Yixing apparently catching a few Z's on his shoulder. Chen, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol had ignored Luhan, completely absorbed in their own conversation, and Kai just sat propped up next to Sehun watching videos on his phone.

"I just don't understand why he just wont tell me what he said." Luhan pouts a bit.

Kyungsoo's lips twitch, Kris disguises his laugh as a cough, Sehun lets out a sigh, and Suho hides his smile behind his hand. Luhan's pout dissolves when he realizes that his friends are laughing at him, and he doesn't understand why.

"What?" Luhan asks, slightly annoyed now.

Sehun decides that he should probably enlighten his best friend to what everyone else had already seen. "He's messing with you."

Luhan frowns a bit, not really understanding. Sehun lets out another long sigh and rolls his eyes at how clueless his friend can be. "He's not telling you on purpose, because he knows you're really curious."

Luhan's mouth opens, ready to deny everything and defend his Minnie until he remembers yesterday on the soccer field. It was like a light bulb had gone off above Luhan's head, he understood now, Minseok was teasing him.

Kris starts laughing loudly at the look of revelation on his friends face, making everyone else stop what they were doing, even Kyungsoo and Suho are having a hard holding in their humor. Luhan has been thoroughly embarrassed yet again. Maybe he should get a bit of revenge?

_________________________________________________________________________

 

The next day Luhan didn't ask Minseok about Rina, in fact he didn't talk to Minseok much at all. Minseok had walked to school, but didn't run into Luhan on the way there like he had yesterday, which that alone wasn't strange. It was only his third day at this school. Besides, after the morning Minseok had just had he wasn't in a very social mood. He started feeling a bit better after his short walk to the school, a little more like himself and a little more ready to face the day.

When Minseok walked into the classroom and saw Luhan, he felt a bit of the weight on his shoulder lift. Minseok let out a relieved breath before he said a general good morning to anyone who was listening, and when Luhan didn't even pause in his conversation with Baekhyun, Minseok frowned. Minseok walked to Luhan to tell him good morning, thinking perhaps he was really into his conversation with Baek and hadn't heard him. Baek greeted him back, but Minseok was once again ignored by Luhan.

Minseok got the message, Luhan didn't want to talk to him today, loud and clear.

Minseok brushed off the pang in his chest from being ignored twice, and cleared his face of emotion before sitting in his seat in front of Luhan and got all his materials out for class.

With his back to him he couldn't see Luhan following every move he made with his eyes.

Luhan didn't talk to him during classes, and walked off without him when the bell for break rang. Minseok sat between Tao and Suho at lunch instead of by Luhan.

At first he had thought that maybe Luhan had just had a bad morning, and wanted to be left alone, Minseok could understand that. But when he continued to ignore him all throughout the day, Minseok was seriously wondering if he had done something wrong. What if Luhan hated him now? When the last bell rang Minseok gathered up all of his things and walked out of the classroom, completely lost in his thoughts. 

Luhan had been ignoring Minseok purposefully, he just wanted to get back at him a little for all of the teasing. Luhan had expected Minseok to try to talk to him, not to just let him ignore him like that all day. But when Minseok seemed to retreat even further into himself every time that Luhan brushed him off he got a little worried.

When the last bell of the day rang and Minseok was leaving, Luhan stopped him with a hand on his arm. "Can I talk to you?"

Minseok gave a small nod of his head, so Luhan took ahold of his wrist and pulled him some place they could talk a bit more privately. They ended up by the bleachers next to the soccer field.

"Why didn't you talk to me today?" Luhan asked.

Minseok looks at Luhan strangely, "You were ignoring me."

"But you didn't even try to talk to me today." Luhan frowns deeply at the look in Minseok's eyes, he's never seen someone's eyes look so empty before.

"I don't understand why this confuses you. When someone is ignoring you, it usually means that they don't want you to talk to them." 

"But to not try?"

"Is that why you were ignoring me?" Minseok's eyes spark to life again, with an almost angry fire. "Because you wanted my attention?"

"Yes...?" Luhan answers, unsure. 

Minseok's face blanked. Minseok didn't show any emotion on his face, he honestly didn't know how he felt right now. Today had been such a roller coaster. 

"Why?"

Luhan feels like he's getting whiplash from Minseok's quick changing moods. "Well because, I always seem to be the one following you around, and when I was asking you about Rina yesterday you never told me what you were talking about. You decided to tease me instead of taking my questions seriously. Even if it was 'nothing important' i would want to know because we're supposed to be friends and friends don't--"

Minseok interrupted Luhan's babble/rant with a raised hand and a sharp tone. "Don't. Don't you dare tell me what friends aren't supposed to do. Friends aren't supposed to ignore their friends because they want attention. You want to know what I told Rina? I saw her being bullied by her friends, and I decided that wasn't something I wanted the poor girl to go through. I saw the way they laughed at her, how they ignored her. That isn't real friendship." Minseok's head tipped back just a bit, making a point without directly saying the words. "So I told her she could come to me if she needed anything, that I would be her friend."

Luhan was speechless. For so many reasons. For one, that was probably the most Luhan had ever heard Minseok speak at once. Second, his Minnie was so sweet. Third, Minseok had basically just called him out on being a ty friend today. Finally, his gentle Minseok was crying, and Luhan didn't understand why.

Minseok wiped at the few tears that had slipped out, his slim fingers shaking. Minseok didn't understand why he was crying either, but it had been such a horrible day, so he supposed it wasn't without warrant.

In a hushed voice Minseok apologized, "Oh god, I'm crying. Sorry--" He hiccuped a bit. "I'm sorry-- I don't mean to--" Minseok is cut off from apologizing any more because he is suddenly being embraced by Luhan. 

Luhan watched Minseok practically crumble to pieces in front of him. At first only a few tears had slipped out, and left Luhan baffled, Minseok didn't even seem to notice he was crying at first. But when he did, he wiped at his face with his small hands, apologizing profusely. And that broke Luhan's heart, he had been such a jerk to Minseok all day and somehow Minseok still felt that he needed to apologize for being upset. 

Luhan didn't know what else to do, so he stepped forward and embraced the boy in a hug. Luhan felt Minseok stiffen in his arms immediately, but at least he stopped apologizing. Luhan burried his face in Minseok's soft brown hair, and rubbed soothing circles into his back. 

"I'm sorry." Luhan mumbled into the top of Minseok's head. At first Luhan got no response, but then Minseok relaxed in his embrace with a soft sigh. Minseok wrapped his thin, and surprisingly strong arms around Luhan's waist and leaned him head against his chest. Minseok stayed there for a while, using the sound of Luhan's heartbeat to calm himself down, and steady his breathing. Minseok could feel all of the tension bleed out of his body, lulling him into a state of peace that he hadn't felt in a such a long time. Minseok felt warm and comfortable in Luhan's arms.

And that is why he broke from the warm comfort that his friend was offering him. 

Keeping his eyes down, Minseok let out a shy, "Thank you."

Luhan smiled down at Minseok, who was studying his shoes, but then he frowned realizing he had something that he needed to say, something to ask. 

"Minseok--" Luhan started, but Minseok flinched at the sound of his name and he paused.

Luhan decided to try again. 

Luhan says in a soft soothing coo, "Minnie~" 

Minseok doesn't respond, but he didn't flinch this time either. Luhan bends over sideways a bit, trying to get a good look at Minseok's face. "Minnie~~~"

Luhan see's a small smile on Minseok's full lips, and he beams. "Please forgive me, Minnie. My Minseok. My friend. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I was being childish." 

Minseok hesitantly looks up from his wringing hands to meet Luhan's eyes. His brown doe eyes show only sincerity, and Minseok can't seem to look away. Minseok's eyes follow Luhan as he straightens back into his full standing position. 

"Minnie, can you please forgive me?"

 

 

 

"Yes."

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sooooooo, how did you like it?

Was it okay? Was it good?

Maybe next I should start explaining a few things about Minseok. Like why he would offer to be friends with someone he had just met when he saw they were being bullied. Or why being ignored by Luhan made him so upset. Or even what else happened to Minnie that morning, whats the story with that?

OMGGGGG!

I can't waiit!

This chapter was really long.

Like really really long, waaaaay longer than usual. Oh gosh, I hope its okay.

Lemme know! Thanks for reading!

----Aya Kay :* <333

HAPPY READING