New in School

Never the Same

 

 

When Luhan's alarm goes off that morning, nothing seems different. He gets up, showers, brushes his teeth, puts on his uniform, and heads downstairs to breakfast just like he would any other morning. He goes about his routine in a daze, not fully awake, but he's been doing it the same way for years; so he lets his muscle memory do all the work.

The slumps his way down the stairs to the kitchen for breakfast with his parents, like he does every morning. And they greet him when they see him, like they do every morning. 

"Good morning honey!" His mother chirps, not even pausing in her cooking. Luhan will never understand how she can be so happy so early. Luhan considers himself a pretty bright and happy person, but only after he's eaten and had a bit of time to wake up first. 

"Good morning Luhan." His father sounds almost as tired as Luhan. Luhan's father has never been a morning person, maybe thats where he gets it from.

Luhan tries his best to grumble back a Morning; but his words are slurred with sleepiness and his voice is hoarse, though his mother seems to understand him just fine. 

He's just barely sat down at his seat for breakfast when his mother whirls around with a gasp, making Luhan and his father jump into wakefulness. She points her spatula at Luhan; with a pancake still balanced precariously on the end of it.

She immediately starts speaking, her eyes bright with excitement. "This morning I got a call from Stacey, and she had heard from her husband last night, who works for your school you know, that he had spoken to one of the teachers, who had been called in by the principal, who had recently gotten notice of--"

"Mom. Mom. Mom!" Luhan interrupts, still staring at the pancake that has somehow stayed on the end of that spatula through all of his mother's wild gesturing. "Whats your point?"

His mother pouts like a child, "I was just about to make it, if you hadn't felt the need to interrupt."

Luhan mutters a Sorry, looking down pitifully. His father snickers from behind his newspaper, and gets a glare from his wife and Luhan both.

With a huff Luhan's mother puts the pancake down on her son's empty plate. "The point is, I heard that your getting a new student in your class today!" 

Luhan's bite of pancake stops midway to his mouth.

What?

 

~~~~~~After breakfast~~~~~~

Luhan was just shocked, and maybe a little excited. So its really no surprise that he practically ran to school that morning. He was itching to see if this news was true. A new student? In our class? 

He needed to find Baekhyun, he would know. 

He found his friend almost immediately. He was standing by the gates, talking at Sehun, who was admittedly looking a little bored with the conversation. Luhan bounced right up to them, and started asking questions.

"Did you hear? Is it true?" Normally, he would wait until Baekhyun brought up whatever juicy gossip he had gotten ahold of, but this was his class. He wanted-- no, he needed to know.

Baekhyun immediately knows what he is referring to, and it seems so does Sehun because he rolls his eyes as soon as Baekhyun starts talking. "It's true. I saw a little skeptical about it at first, because; a new student? In our class? But its true."

"Who are they? Whats their rank? Are they cute? Is it a girl or a boy? Whats their name? How old are they? Where did they come from?" Luhan spews all these questions so fast he doesn't even have time to breath between them.

Most people would be a little put off by all of these questions, but Baekhyun just laughs, he's completely used to it by now. They've been friends since they were practically babies, they all have. 

The reason why they're all a little shocked about having a new student in their class isn't because new students are rare, because they're not, its because they're class is accelerated. Eleven of the students were given a separate class, because they're all exceptionally intelligent and learn at an amazingly fast rate. No one has joined their class in years, not since Tao moved here in fourth grade. 

"Whoah there," Baekhyun's voice is filled with laughter. "I didn't know I was going to get interrogated this morning. Its not even 8 o'clock!" 

The laughter shortly dies, and Baekhyun looks only half serious when he says, "All I know is, its a he. And he's rated first in class, according to the placement test, he did better than even you Luhan."

Sehun lets out a low whistle, clearly very impressed. Luhan can't even work up that much of a response. 

All Luhan can think is: Whoa.

 

~~~~~~In Class~~~~~~~~

(SEATING ARRANGEMENTS: In order left to right: Chen, Suho, and Kyungsoo sit in the front row, where the extra chair has been added for Minseok. In the second row Yixing, Kai, Baekhyun, and Luhan. Last row; Kris, Tao, Chanyeol, and Sehun. ) 

 

When they walk into their classroom, the new twelfth desk immediately catches their attention. And apparently it caught everyone else's too. Even though conversations are flowing normally, everyone's eyes are on that extra chair. 

The bell rings and everyone sits, a little distracted and confused, until their teacher walks through the door. And Ms. Penelope has an announcement to make. 

She fixes her rectangle glasses, runs her hands down the front of her dress, and smooths back her dark hair; though theres no way any hair could have escaped from her strict bun. 

Then she sends the class a smile and speaks. "Okay boys, I have exciting news for you all! Today--"

"Do we get free pizza? That would be exciting news." Chanyeol gives his unnecessary opinion from his seat in the back; earning snickers from Sehun and Baekhyun and glares from Kyungsoo and Suho. He gives a little smirk, "What? Im hungry."

The teacher ignores Chanyeol completely, obviously used to his obnoxious outbursts, and continues giving her announcement. "Today our class is getting a new student. He will be here in a moment, so be nice and quiet--" She gives Chanyeol a look, "while he introduces himself." 

As soon as she's done the room explodes from the noise of everyone talking over each other, each trying to ask about their newest student. Luhan is getting impatient, he wants to meet this new student. Suddenly everything is silent, except for the soft tapping on the door. 

Luhan straightens his spine; everyone is on the edge of their seats wanting to know who will walk through that door. You can feel the excitement in the air, they all want to meet the new classmate. 

Ms. Penelope smiles hugely as she calls, "Come in!"

The door opens, and a boy walks through. 

 

 

And all Luhan can think is: Whoa.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________

Aaaaand thats it for this chapter!! 

I know things are a little slow right now, but it'll get more interesting soon! I promise! 

Thank you so much for reading! :D

It'll be Minseok's POV next!! We will get to see how his first day of school goes. And his official meeting with Luhan and the rest of the EXO boys!! ;P

Happy Reading! 

~~~ Aya Kay :* <3333