Avoidance

Never the Same

Luhan is still a bit angry with Minseok when Monday rolls around, and is fully prepared to ignore him for the entirety of the day.

Luhan walks to school, alone. He sees no sign of his steamed bun friend on the way there, but is still too angry to wonder why. He gets to the gates, where Sehun and Baekhyun are waiting and they all walk to class together. The boys automatically understand that Luhan is in a bad mood, and doesn't want to talk about it.

It isn't until the bell rings that Luhan starts to worry, Minseok hasn't come to school today.

'Maybe he is just running a little late.'

He waits all day, the time passing too slowly for Luhan, and still Minseok does not make an appearance. 

 

Three days. Minseok misses another three days of school, and Luhan is nearly frantic with worry. (Though he wouldn't admit it to anyone but himself.)

He remembers that he is supposed to still be angry at Minseok, so he does not call or text to see if he is alright. But with each day that Luhan does not hear from his friend, the more tempted he becomes to just reach out. 

 

Minseok finally comes back that friday, and immediately Luhan notices how tired he looks. His face is pale and drawn, and he has dark bags under his eyes. The boy obviously hasn't been getting enough sleep, if any at all. He looks so tired, and it makes Luhan want to scoop him up and hold him until he falls asleep.

But he remembers that he is supposed to be angry with Minseok, and so pushes the impulse aside and ignores his friend completely.

Luhan can feels his friend's eyes on him during class, and it makes him nervous.

Minseok tries to approach him during break, maybe to apologize, or maybe to tell him that they can't be friends anymore, and Luhan is too afraid it might be the latter; so he does anything to avoid the impending confrontation. Luhan quickly takes to hovering closely to Sehun.

That seems to keep Minseok away.

Luhan spends the next week successfully dodging the elder, he wasn't truly angry anymore, but the less angry he became, the more ashamed he was. He can't even look at Minseok without feeling guilty about the things he said, and he doesn't know how to handle it. Things could have gone a lot differently, they should have gone a lot differently, and Luhan knows that its mostly his fault but he still can't forget Minseok's words before he left either.

Avoiding Minseok became more of a habit than anything else. He doesn't even really do it consciously anymore, its become something of an instinct that if he sees the feline eyed boy begin to approach him he flees in the opposite direction.

It's probably after the second or third week of Luhan fleeing at the sight of him that Minseok finally stops trying. After that, Minseok seemed to slowly retreat from everyone else in the class too. He stopped eating lunch with them, and spends his breaks alone somewhere they can't find him, and everyday after class he just quietly gathers his things and then no one hears from him again until they see him at his desk the next morning.

It only takes about another week for it all to become too much for Luhan. He misses his best friend. His Minseok. His Minnie. His Baozi.

He misses his smile, and how he would laugh at all of his jokes. Even though they both knew Luhan was never really that funny. He misses his love for coffee and soccer. He misses his kittenish yawns, and his gentle smiles. He misses learning new things about Minseok everyday, and learning so much from his friend everyday. Minseok made him a better person. Happier, braver, kinder, wiser.

It was like being struck by lightning, his epiphany, and in the middle of class no less. Sitting there, spacing off, just staring at the back of Minseok's head as he writes. He realizes then, watching the boy scribble down his notes, how much he misses Minseok. How much he needs Minseok in his life.

Luhan barely makes it through the rest of the period, his need to talk to Minseok, the need to explain everything is almost overwhelming in its intensity. He's so focused on containing himself until the bell rings, that he misses hearing the dismissal, and so misses his chance at catching Minseok.

But Luhan is determined to try, so he leaves the class room in search of his Baozi. Hoping that if he explains everything, that he might be forgiven.

He eventually finds him under the big willow in the east courtyard. Luhan approaches Minseok quietly. Finding him sitting against the base with his head tipped back and his eyes closed, Luhan is reminded of the night Minseok told him about his family. It feels like such a long time ago, but really its only been a few weeks. Luhan regrets not telling him everything then, when things had been so open between them.

Luhan snaps out of his daze to find Minseok staring at him, his expression unreadable. Luhan sits down next to him with a small frown, trying to put together everything he wants to say.

When he looks over at Minseok again, he finds the boy isn't looking at him anymore, but rather staring ahead. Luhan can't really read anything into his expression, or his posture. But he isn't leaving, and he does't seem to be angry. It becomes clear to Luhan that Minseok isn't going to just suddenly demand that he leave and tell him that they'll never be friends again. Actually, Minseok seems to be waiting; for Luhan to start talking probably, and content to listen whenever he starts his story. So, knowing an apology won't be well received without the long awaited explanation, he dives right into his past.

With a sigh Luhan starts, "When I was seven, my biological parents got on a plane heading for America, leaving me with the nanny. It was a regular thing for them, to leave me alone for days at a time while they took a business trip, just leaving behind a note for the staff to watch me. But what was different this time was, they never came home. Their plane had crashed somewhere in the middle of the pacific ocean." He pauses here to collect himself again. He may have been young when he lost them, but they were still his parents, and sometimes it still hurts. Luhan takes a peak at Minseok, who's head is still turned away, but it's clear that Luhan still holds all of his attention.

Steadying himself he continues, but he also decides that perhaps the abridged version would be less painful, so that's what he uses to explain. "So, after their death, I was shipped here. To Korea I mean, to live with my parents good friends; and business partners. I remembered them, the Parks. My parents and I would often stay with them when we took trips to Korea. But they weren't my real parents. And being so young, I didn't really know what it meant to be dead. I just knew that I had been left behind. It was just like all the other times when they would go away for a few days, and I'd be left to find out the next morning from the nanny, but this time they were never coming back. I felt abandoned." Luhan takes a deep breath, feeling the familiar dull ache in his chest.

"My parents, the ones I live with now I mean, the Parks, have never been able to have a child of their own. So when I came to live with them, I finally understood what it meant to be treasured, and how to it felt to be loved by your family. They taught me how important those ties are in our lives." He looks to Minseok again. "That's why I pushed you so hard to reconcile with your mother. Because I was a bit jealous that you still had your real mother, that she loves you, and that she was reaching out to you now... Family is all that truly matters, and I wanted you to have that. The love and support it brings."

Luhan doesn't understand the look Minseok is giving him, something so sad and confused. "I did have that," he says, and Luhan has never heard anyone sound so broken. "Or I thought I did. I thought I had you. I know that we aren't blood, that we aren't what most would call a family. But I was happy where I was. With you, and the guys. And I thought at the very least, you would be there for me. I've never been as close with anyone as I was with you. Was I wrong?"

His heart feels like it was just ripped from his chest, and he has to swallow hard before he can speak again. "No..." Luhan breathes shakily, trembling hands reaching out to cup Minseok's face, "You're not wrong."

Luhan brings their foreheads together, looking deeply into Minseok's dark eyes, "You have me. You will always have me." Luhan sees a tear fall from his Baozi's beautiful eyes, and it makes his breath stutter in his chest, knowing he is the reason his Minnie is crying now. Tears of his own begin to fall, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Minnie, I'm so sorry."

He closes his eyes as Minseok does, bringing their faces closer together by aligning the bridges of their noses; their breaths and tears mingling. There was so much for him to be sorry for. For their fight, and the things he said, for making him believe he wasn't going to be there for him ever again, for making him feel unloved; unwanted, for being a coward. Luhan doesn't know if things will ever be able to get better after whats happened, but he'll do anything to be with his Baozi again. Anything to make him smile, to make him laugh, anything to let him know that he is loved and treasured. By Luhan.

Minseok gives a small hiccup as Luhan pulls away. He looks down at his weeping friend, not really knowing how to make things better. But Luhan is so, so willing to try. Anything. Minseok is looking up at him with watery eyes, looking sad and uncertain.

"Lu?"

Luhan doesn't really know what else to do, but he knows he doesn't want Minseok to think that Luhan sees him as anything but perfect, and he wants his Baozi to know just how sorry he is for hurting him. "...What I said... When we were fighting. I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that." Luhan looks seriously at Minseok, "You're not the problem. You haven't been anything shy of wonderful this whole time and--"

Minseok feels his chest warm a bit at those words, "Luhan..."

"--I really wanted-- No I really need you to know how sorry I am. I never should have--"

"Lu."

"--said anything like that to you, because you're so amazing. You're kind, and gentle, and willing to help anyone who needs it. And you forgive me every time I say or do something stupid. And--"

"Lulu?"

"--I was being a jerk. I wasn't thinking of your feelings, I was just pushing mine onto you... I really hope you can forgive me this time too. But, I understand if you can't. If you need some space, or some time. If you want to yell at me, or hit me, for calling you something so hurtful and untrue, I'll take anything you're willing to give me... I don't think I'll ever be able to express how much I appreciate you. And--"

"Lu-ge!"

Luhan's rant comes to a screeching halt, "--...Lu-ge?"

Confident that Luhan won't start ranting again, Minseok speaks, "Lu-ge. You only needed to apologize the once, I've already forgiven you."

And Luhan looks about ready to protest, so Minseok cuts him off with a firm tone, "I have, because I don't blame you. I said some terrible things to you too, things I didn't mean." Trying to convey his sincerity, he goes on, "I don't think you're a spoiled brat. And I have no doubts that you've lived through your own fair share of hardships. I have no excuse for treating you the way I did, you were only trying to help. You were being a good friend to me, and I was the one who got upset and screwed things up. And I'm sorry. I don't want you to think that this was all your fault, because its not. I'm just as much to blame. Can you forgive me?"

When Minseok gets no response, he almost wonders if Luhan is still stuck at 'Lu-ge' and if he missed everything he just said. After waiting a few more moments, Minseok is just about ready to apologize again; either because Luhan didn't hear it the first time, or it just wasn't good enough. It didn't really matter anyway, because Minseok is happy to repeat it as many times as it takes.

It's just as he opens his mouth to start again, when all of a sudden he has his arms full of Luhan. Minseok falls back against the base of the tree with a soft 'thump', too surprised to really do anything but hold onto the boy who just threw himself at him.

Minseok feels the skin at his neck getting wet. "Luhan!? Are you crying? Why are you crying!?" He tries to shift so that he can look at his friend's face, but Luhan wouldn't move his head from the crook of his neck.

Luhan lets out a wet laugh at Minseok's concern for him, immensely happy. He was just so relieved when he heard Minseok say that he was forgiven, and so touched by his apology, Luhan couldn't help but cry.

It takes Minseok a few more tries to finally get Luhan's face out from between his neck and shoulder, but he manages it. "Whats wrong?"

Luhan sniffles a little and retreating a bit while keeping his head down, embarrassed now that he's calm. "I've gotten snot on your shirt," he says, but the elder doesn't seem to care, he doesn't even look. Minseok keeps his eyes on Luhan, waiting for the answer to his question. Luhan clears his throat, still a little shy. "I forgive you too," is all he says.

Immediately, Minseok's eyes soften.

Small hands wrap around Luhan's waist, readjusting him until he is sitting almost fully in Minseok's lap. It should probably be awkward, but Luhan relaxes, all too happy to be in the arms of his Baozi. 
After a while, the slim fingers running through his hair have almost completely lulled him to sleep. Luhan feels a chuckle vibrate through Minseok's chest.

Curious as to why his Baozi is laughing, but too far gone to actually articulate a question, Luhan hums his query.

With another chuckle, Minseok says quietly, "So much for class."

 

 

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________

 

 

GUYYS! 

HERES YOUR UPDATE!

Hopefully you liked it!! <3

On a side note, I've had some ideas for some more stories lately... Which is partly the reason why I've been taking so looong to post more chapters!! 

SORRY! T^T

So, my point is~~~ If I decided to write these other stories, would you guys read them?? I'd like to know if you like my writing enough to read another story or two by me.... JUST GIVE IT A THOUGHT 

 

Thanks soooo much~~~ ^.^

LOVE YOU GUYS!! <3 <3 <3

HAPPY READING!!

~Aya Kay :* <3