Meeting New People

Never the Same

 

 

 

The boy introduced himself as Kim Minseok, and Luhan immediately liked him. He couldn't get a really good look at him at first, because he was bowing so low that you could only see the crown of his head. And then when he straightened up he kept his  head down and his eyes on his shoes. 

His introduction was met with silence, and it seemed to make him uncomfortable enough that he fidgeted a bit and then looked up. 

At Luhan's first real look at Minseok, he immediately decided that he wanted to be friends. Kim Minseok had soft, cat-like eyes, a round and boyish face, and full lips. He has the face of someone kind, someone selfless, who likes to make others smile, but he doesn't seem to smile much himself.

Luhan had wanted to introduce himself to Minseok as soon as he sat down in front of him. But Ms. Penelope had made it clear that it was time for class, and that introductions would have wait. If Luhan has learned anything this year, its that you do not want to be on her bad side. So he waited, impatiently, and as soon as it was break time Luhan pounced.

Luhan leans forward and taps Minseok's shoulder, and the other boy jumps a little at the contact. Minseok turns towards Luhan slowly, immediately wary. 

"Sorry!" Luhan's apology for startling Minseok comes out loud and slightly panicked. It makes Minseok jump again, so Luhan immediately lowers his voice. "Sorry."

He tries again, softer this time, and with a smile. "I didn't mean to startle you. My name is Luhan."

Minseok seems to hesitate before he answers, "Nice to meet you, Luhan. I'm Minseok."

Luhan opens his mouth to say something when he gets interrupted. "We know who you are silly!" Baekhyun leans over in his seat to better join the conversation.

Minseok looks at Luhan's annoying friend, his pretty lips twitching into the smallest smile Luhan has ever seen. 

"You must be Baekhyun."

"Ohhhh, Luhan, did you hear that? He knows my name." Baekhyun's tone borders on smug, and Luhan wants to hit him. And he might've if a new voice hadn't joined the mix.

"He only knows your name because of your obnoxious outburst earlier." Kyungsoo always manages to slide an insult to Baekhyun into every conversation. Baekhyun starts to pout, Minseok's smile widens half a fraction, and now its Luhan who feels smug.

"My name is Kyungsoo, its nice to meet you."

Minseok looks to Kyungsoo, and after a short staring contest between the two, he answers with a simple, "You too." Seemingly satisfied with whatever he saw in Kyungsoo's eyes.

Everyone else also takes this time to introduce themselves, and Luhan watches Minseok carefully, looking for any signs that he feels overwhelmed. And while Luhan concedes that he looks a little uncomfortable being the center of attention, he seems to have no trouble remembering anyones name.

Things quickly quiet down, and everyone splits into smaller groups to have more private conversations for the remainder of the break. Luhan ignores Baekhyun telling a story he has heard nearly a thousand times, and watches Minseok observe his friends, and wonders whats going on inside his head.  

He doesn't know how long he just sits there staring until Ms. Penelope comes in and Luhan snaps out of whatever daze he was in. 

Class has resumed.

 

~~~~~~~Lunch Time~~~~~~~

 

The bell for lunch rings and everyone gathers their things. Luhan was going to invite Minseok to lunch, but it seems Baekhyun has beat him to it. 

They all get in line to buy food, and Luhan finds he isn't very hungry today. He blames it on all the pancakes his mom practically shoved down his throat this morning before she would let him leave for school. 

Luhan buys a small sandwich and an apple, and sits with everyone else at their usual table. Minseok had taken the seat next to Kyungsoo and Luhan immediately sat next to him on the opposite side before anyone else got the chance to. 

Luhan was going to try to start a conversation with Minseok, but when he looks over he saw that Kyungsoo was already talking quietly to him. So he nibbles on his lunch and sulks. 

Sehun is sitting across from Luhan and sees his friend sulking, he throws a bag of candy at him and mouths the words "Don't pout." at him when Luhan looks up from his half eaten apple. Luhan just sticks his tongue out at him, making Sehun laugh. 

Sehun's attention is redirected when Jongin asks him a question of some kind, and Luhan is forgotten. Luhan munches on his candies, feeling slightly better and slightly worse. He then decides he doesn't want to eat all of this candy by himself, he will make himself sick on all of the sugar, so he turns to Minseok. 

He's just about to ask if he wants a piece or two when he see Minseok taking a huge bite out of his burger. Luhan can feel his jaw drop a little, and he looks away, a little shocked, and afraid that Minseok will find him staring and feel uncomfortable. 

But Luhan wonders how he can even open his mouth that wide, and then thinks that Minseok looks cute with his cheeks stuffed full of food.

Like a hamster. 

And by then Luhan is thoroughly embarrassed by his own thoughts. 

Lunch passes quickly, and Luhan never got to talk to Minseok.

Luhan pouts some more. Class has resumed.

____________________________________________________________________

Thanks so much for reading!

Comments are very much welcome! Please leave any writing advise! This is my first published story and I really want to know what you think about it! 

Until the next chapter! :)

HAPPY READING  

~~~~~~Aya Kay :* <3333