Making New Friends

Never the Same

 

 

Luhan woke up the next morning before his alarm, full of excitement to see his newest friend again today. He showers and brushes his teeth quickly but thoroughly (personal hygiene is very important). Then he fumbles with his uniform in his haste to get it on. He's still pulling on his socks as he starts making his way down the stairs, clumsily and loudly.

Luhan is the first to give a cheery "Good morning!" and he even says it with a bright smile.

Both of his parents are shocked. Luhan is never down to breakfast this early, and certainly never awake (or happy this early) enough to greet anyone in such a manner.

His mother, though happy at the change and not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, comments on his mood so early this morning. "Luhan! What has you so... peppy, this morning!"

He answers with his smile still in tact, and not at all put off by being questioned about his unusual mood. "I have school today!" Like that answers everything.

His mother is still very much puzzled, and looks to her husband, who had stopped midway into sitting at the table when Luhan has descended the stairs and was still hovering in that same position. He looked just as confused as she. They exchange a confused glance, but decide to drop the matter.

Luhan sits in his chair, his leg bouncing under the table in his excitement. He barely makes it through eating his breakfast before he bolts out of the door and makes his way towards the school. He doesn't live far from it, a few blocks, about a five minute walk or so. Which comes in handy when Luhan oversleeps, he is almost never late.

Luhan gets about half way to the school, and he will admit he was walking a little faster than usual when he hears his name called from behind him. He turns with a confused frown, but it melts into a smile when he sees that it was Minseok who had called out to him.

Luhan waits a brief moment while Minseok catches up.

"Morning Minseok."

"Good morning, Luhan."

"Did you sleep well?"

Something flickers over Minseok's face, too quickly for Luhan to read, before he answers with a slightly unconvincing "Yes." and clears his throat, "Did you sleep well, Luhan?"

Luhan just answers with a smile and a nod.

They've almost reached the school and they can see Baekhyun and Sehun waiting at the gates. They all greet each other quickly before they start to make their way into the school. As they're walking many students (mostly but not exclusively girls) wave to the boys as they walk past. Some yell a "Hi, Baekhyun!" or a "Have a good morning, Sehun!".

Minseok swore he even heard a shout of, "I love you, Luhan!", among all of the well wishes and greetings.

In response, the boys send out a smile, or a wave to those they noticed trying to get their attention.

Luhan turns to Minseok, when he looks to him with a questioning gaze.

"What?" Luhan asks.

"You guys seem pretty... popular."

Luhan isn't sure what his tone is, and Minseok keeps his expression carefully neutral.

"I guess." Luhan is unsure of how to respond. "Is that a bad thing?"

"No, not as long as you don't let it go to your head." Minseok gives a slightly bitter smile. "Not everyone is going to like you, and if you think they won't turn on you as soon as your image takes a beating, you're naive."

Luhan is stunned into silence, so he just follows the rest into the school.

They run into the rest of the boys just inside of the entrance to the school, and they all decide to walk together. (Theres no reason not to, they're all going to the same class anyway.)

The twelve boys are making their way through the halls and chatting with each other about various things, when a group of girls start making a bit of noise at their approach. Apparently, they're excited to see 'Class EXO'.

Luhan and Minseok are at the beginning of the line, and the rest of the boys are chatting amongst themselves, not paying any mind to anyone else around. Luhan can hear a snippet of conversation between some the girls as they approach.

"Come on! Go talk to him!"

"I-- I don't think I can!"

"Come on! You've been telling us all about how perfect he is, and that you want to confess. Nows a perfect time to do it!"

Out of the group of girls one or two seem to be telling their shy friend to talk to someone in Class EXO. Luhan watches as they try to push the small girl forward, and she resists. Until a particularly hard shove from behind sends her forward. The girl is catapulted into the path of the twelve boys and she is unable regain her balance. Luhan watches in horror as she starts her decent to the ground.

Luhan in a deep breath, taking a step to at least try to catch the poor girl, when an arm snaps out and wraps around the girls waist, catching her just before she face plants. Luhan looks to Minseok, who is looking down at the girl he is still holding aloft. The only thing keeping the girl on her feet and not flat on her face in front of everybody is Minseok's grip on her.

Luhan thinks absently, "Nice reflexes..."

Luhan is pulled from his daze and staring at Minseok's arm, when the girl lets out a shaky breath, (realizing that she will not be horrifyingly embarrassed in front of her crush) and slowly straightens herself out.

She looks up and is met with a pair of concerned, cat-like eyes. "Are you alright?"

Luhan watches as her cheeks are stained a light pink, and she nods at Minseok, who rewards her with a gentle smile. A collective breath is let out from all of the boys behind Luhan, they had seen the girl about the fall and had also been worried about her welfare.

"What is your name?" Minseok asks.

"Rina." Her blush gets darker, she hadn't wanted to gain so much attention, she had only wanted to see him. "I-- I'm sorry. I-- I didn't mean to-- It was an accident, and I--"

All heads snap in the direction of a snicker, one of the girls laughing at her friend's clear embarrassment.

Luhan sends a glare, but doesn't really intend to say anything, their drama is none of his business. Minseok just seems to observe the girl for a moment before totally dismissing her and looks back to Rina, which actually seems to make her pretty angry.

Minseok gives her a gentle smile, attempting to get her to relax and stop apologizing. It wasn't her fault that she almost made a fool of herself in front of them, but Luhan wonders if it really was an accident.

"My name is Minseok. It's very nice to meet you, Rina. I have to say I do prefer making friends in a more conventional manner, but you definitely know how to make an entrance."

He obviously says it to get a smile out of her, and he does. Along with a few snickers from the boys behind him, which Minseok ignores.

Most of the awkwardness in the atmosphere has left, and Luhan observes everything Minseok does in awe. After a few more soft smiles, and teasing words Rina seems not at all uncomfortable and very much in a better mood. Luhan comes to understand how nice and caring of a person Minseok can be.

Class is just about to start and so Luhan and the rest move to leave. But Luhan stops after a short walk to look back and see Minseok saying a few words to Rina, in a soft voice, looking serious. In response to whatever it was that he told her, she smiles and nods.

Luhan feels a pang in his chest at seeing them so close, but simply wraps his arm around his shoulders when Minseok comes back to him with a smile.

But all through class Luhan can't help but wonder what is was that his sweet Minseok had said to Rina.

 

~~~~~Later~~~~~

"Soooooo, Minnie, what did you say to Rina earlier?"

"Hm?" Minseok looks up from his apple. "Oh, nothing important."

Luhan pouts a little, making Minseok laugh at his cute face.

"Why do you want to know?"

Luhan doesn't answer, because he honestly doesn't really know.

 

 

__________________________________________________

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

You guys are wonderful! Thank you so much for the comments! and the reads! and the subscriptions!! 

AHHH! You're awesome.

Next chapter coming soooooon! 

Love you all! Happy reading,

Aya Kay :* <3