Chapter 8 - I Love You

Beauty in the Unexpected

“Hello girls. How are you all?” Jackson said as he walked towards the group of girls who were surrounding Jiyeon. Jiyeon got up and the others girls froze staring at the two of them.

JB looked towards Jackson from his desk and sighed.

 

--- (FLASHBACK) ---

 

Jackson got home after visiting Youngji and noticed that JB was sitting on the couch like as if he knew that Jackson would arrive now. JB pointed towards the seat in front of him. Jackson knew fully well that JB would want the whole story so sat down in front of him. He sighed letting out a deep breath.

“Hyung I don’t know what to do anymore.” Jackson said. “This is all my fault. I can’t let them hurt her again.” He looked towards his feet and clasped his hands together.

“So what are you going to do?” JB asked already knowing that it was Jiyeon’s group that hurt Youngji because she was getting too close to them.

“I don’t know hyung. Being with her… will hurt her.” Jackson said as he wiped his face with his hands like as if he was trying to remove his fear.

“So. You’re going back to being a player again?” JB asked.

“I just… I can’t” Jackson was at a loss of words.

“I don’t think being a player will protect her.” JB sighed as he relaxed back into his chair.

“I know. But at least they won’t hurt her. I don’t want to see her cry again. Because of me.” Jackson said worried that history will repeat itself again.

“Jackson.” JB was concerned. He didn’t want Jackson to fight it all by himself, but he couldn’t leave Jackson on his own. Even if it means hurting his best friend. 

“It’s okay hyung. Whatever happens... Protect her.” Jackson said as he got up and walked to his room.

 

--- (END OF FLASHBACK) ---

 

“Hey Jackson. It’s nice to see you here. What happened to my little Youngji? Wasn’t she your best friend? Or should I say the girl you loved.” Jiyeon asked.

“Youngji is not my best friend and neither do I love her. I was just using her for my purposes.” Jackson calmly said.

“Did you hear that Heo Youngji? If you heard that loud and clear then you better scram like a good girl.” Jiyeon said as she looked towards Youngji who was standing in the doorway behind Jackson.

Jackson turned around and noticed Youngji was standing there with her face facing the ground. ‘Youngji I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it. Don’t be sad.’ Jackson thought.

Youngji quickly turned around and ran down the corridor away from them. ‘Why? I thought he was… Why is he with them? The people that hurt me. Didn’t he say he would protect me?’ Youngji thought as tears rolled down her face. ‘Take care and I’m sorry.’ Youngji halted in the middle of the corridor as she remembered what Jackson said to her on the day before.

Jackson was about to leave the room to chase after her when Jiyeon grabbed his wrist holding him back.
“Don’t. She’s not worth it.” Jiyeon said as she wrapped her arms around him. She his hair and rested her head against his chest. She could hear his heartbeat. ‘Fast. So I was right. That girl… I don’t know what you see in her.’ Jiyeon thought.

JB got up and shook his head and rushed off to find Youngji. ‘Hyung. Take care of her,’ Jackson thought.

“It would be nice if you hugged me back. But it seems you’re still holding back.” Jiyeon said as she backed away from Jackson. “Didn’t I tell you before that I would hurt her? It was your fault that she got hurt. Your fault for choosing her over me.”

 

--- (FLASHBACK) ---

 

At lunch:

"You better kiss me back otherwise I will make things difficult for Youngji. I can get people to hate her with a click from my fingers just by spreading one rumour. Well it's not a rumour if it's true. You like Youngji. And she can get hurt if everyone knows the truth." Jiyeon whispered in his ear.

 

--- (END OF FLASHBACK) ---

 

Jackson glared at Jiyeon, furious that she would try to hurt Youngji. Jackson turned around and left the room. He walked towards the roof, knowing that Youngji always goes there. But to his surprise, she was nowhere to be seen. ‘Youngji where are you?’ Jackson thought as he scanned the whole rooftop. He walked towards the edge and admired the view. He inhaled the cold air and stretched his hand towards the sky.

“Why is it so difficult to have what I want? Why do the people around me get hurt because of me? Why? I have to protect her. Even if it means me losing her.” Jackson said as he dropped his hand to his side.

Suddenly, the door to the rooftop creaked open. The person walked towards Jackson and hugged him from behind. Jackson clenched his fist, “I… I love you...” Jackson said as he turned around and placed his hands on her. “Jiyeon. I love you.” Jackson said as he hugged her.