Chapter 6 - Fear

Beauty in the Unexpected

Youngji was munching on her cheese sandwich whilst sitting at her desk. She stared at the clock which showed 9am. Waking up early was making her feel sleepy in all of her lessons and wished that she could just bunk lessons. She looked towards Jackson's and JB's empty desks wondering where the two were. She found it unfair at how those two were allowed to miss lessons but not anyone else just because they are famous.

"Good morning class. Take a seat everyone and get your textbooks out. Oh and I should have previously mentioned that we have an exam tomorrow so be prepared and I hope you haven't forgotten," the teacher said as he got a book out from his drawer. Youngji put her sandwich in her lunch box and took out her textbook. 

"Does anyone know where Jackson and JB are?" the teacher questioned.

"Poor oppas aren't here. They must be ill. I heard they were visiting some girl's house the other day." A girl said.

"Ah oppa. If I find out who that girl is, I'm going to make sure she never sees them again." Jiyeon says as she slammed the desk hard with her fist.

“Irritating trying to get the oppas attention.” A girl said.

“Poor oppas must have got food poisoning from that stupid girl’s house. Actually I wonder what they did… OH I HOPE SHE DIDN’T ATTEMPT ANYTHING ON THEM!” A girl yelled.

"Right no need to get angry girls. Let's start the lesson." The teacher said as he was stunned at their unnecessary behaviour.

Youngji looked down in shock realising that people have found about yesterday. She was surprised as she didn’t know how people knew.

 

The lesson went on for an hour with Youngji continuously dozing off every now and then. 

 

"Ah Youngji." The teacher said looking at her resting her head on her arms.

"Yes? Sir?" She said still half asleep.

"Good I thought you were asleep for a second. If you see JB or Jackson today, could you possibly give the two this?" The teacher said realising that Youngji was close to the two and was not like the other crazy girls. Youngji stared at the pack of paper that the teacher gave her. 

"Yes I'll try and contact them." Youngji said.

"Good I trust you." The teacher smiled at Youngji.

'Now how am I supposed to give this to them. Hmm I should contact JB.' Youngji thought realising that there was no way that she could give them the notes for tomorrow. 

"Youngji we'll take this and give it to the oppas don't worry." Jiyeon said as she tried to take the pack from her grasp. 

"No stop, the teacher said I should give it to them. Let go." Youngji said frustrated at her childishness. 

"They don't want to see you. Let go. Give it to me. Jackson loves me." Jiyeon said as she grabbed Youngji's wrist.

"Let go it's going to drop. Stop being immature." Youngji said as she tried to release her wrist from Jiyeon's grasp.

Jiyeon quickly let go off her wrist causing Youngji to fall back on to her bottom. The papers scattered everywhere. "Ha worthless. Now clean up this mess you've made." Jiyeon mocked as she folded her arms.

"What's all this?" Jackson said as he walked into the classroom with JB behind him. He noticed that Youngji was on the floor with Jiyeon standing over her. 

"Oppa you're here. The teacher wanted me to give you some notes but this scum was trying to take it from you and insisted that she would give it to you instead. And I'm sorry I let go and it scattered everywhere. I tried to push her away but she still managed to ruin everything." Jiyeon said as she clung onto Jackson's arm and rested her cheek on his shoulder pretending to cry. Jackson clenched his fist and shook Jiyeon off him. 

"Get away from me freak." Jackson glared at her which caused her to be surprised at his cruelness. Jiyeon ran out crying causing the other girls to follow. 

Jackson walked towards Youngji and crouched in front of her. “Hey you okay?” Jackson stretched out his hand to help her up. Youngji took all the pieces of paper on the floor and grabbed his hand.

“Th...Thanks. And here, this is for you.” Youngji said as she grabbed onto Jackson’s hand and passed him the pile of paper. “Oh and we have a test tomorrow so don’t forget to revise.”

“Oh that reminds me. Do you want to come over today to our house? I want to study with someone… and JB is useless at studying… and you-” Jackson said as he scratched his head nervously.

“Yh sure. Just text me the address and I’ll be there” Youngji smiled.

“Though try and keep a low profile. You don’t want people to find out that you’re close with us. Our fans… let’s just say... they’re not very forgiving when it comes to girls.” JB said realising that this could endanger Youngji’s life if people found out that she was close to the two of them.

“Yes! Don’t worry! I will disguise myself perfectly so no one will recognise me.” Youngji said knowing that POLARIS fans can be very dangerous at times.

“Right catch you later! Oh and don’t use the front entrance.” Jackson shouted as he exited the room. 

 

“Did you hear that girls?” Jiyeon said as she hid behind the wall preventing Jackson and JB from noticing her.

“Is she perhaps…?” A girl named Eunji asked.

“I knew it was her who invited POLARIS over to her house. She’s so desperate.” Another girl named Subin said.

“Omo, look how short her skirt is. And her top button is undone. It’s like as if she’s trying to impress them.” A girl named Yunmi said.

“I think we need to teach her lesson.” Jiyeon said with an evil smile. “Come on let’s go follow her.” Jiyeon commanded causing the other girls to follow behind her.

Youngji left the classroom and went up to the roof to get some fresh air. She opened the door to the roof and stood close to the edge inhaling the cold air. She noticed that the clouds were slightly grey figuring that it was going to rain soon. She turned around to leave but suddenly she felt a sharp pain on her cheek. She touched her cheek noticing that it was Jiyeon who slapped her. Behind her stood a group of girls looking as if they were ready to fight her anytime now.

“That’s what you get for trying to hook up with POLARIS.” Jiyeon laughed. Jiyeon turned around and stood behind the group of girls. “Girls, I’ll leave the rest to you. And make sure she learns her mistake. Don’t go anywhere near our boys again.” Jiyeon said as she left the roof.

For the first time Youngji has never felt so frightened before. So many questions were going through her mind at that very moment. How did they find out? What did she do to deserve this? Why her? The group of girls encircled her clenching their fists. A girl approached her and punched her in the stomach. Youngji felt her knuckles digging into her skin. She clutched her stomach and fell to her knees as she screamed in pain. It hurt but she couldn’t fight back. She was too weak. Her eyes were filled with tears pleading them to stop. She tried to tell them to stop but no words escaped . was dry. All the saliva had escaped due to the continuous punches thrown by the girls. ‘Please. Make it stop. Please… It hurts,’ she thought. Tears rolled down her face causing her vision to be blurry. She felt someone pulling her hair, lifting her face up towards them. She winced in pain. Another girl came closer and punched her in the eye. Youngji screeched in pain. The girl let go off her hair causing Youngji to fall to her knees.

“Ha what a . Look how short your skirt is,” a girl said. She ripped Youngji’s skirt with her bare hands.

Youngji gasped in fear. Their anger was something she couldn’t believe. Why are they so angry at her? What has she done wrong? Another girl started banging her head with her fists. Youngji covered her head and looked into that girl’s eyes. ‘Her eyes...’ Youngji was shocked when she looked at the girl. ‘...Her eyes… look sad.’ Youngji thought. The girl noticed that Youngji had made eye contact with her. She quickly stopped; her hands were shaking. She mouthed something to Youngji causing Youngji to be surprised. Sorry. The word that the girl had mouthed, was repeating over and over again in her mind. Why? Youngji felt her eyes getting heavy. Her head was hurting. She instantly collapsed.

“Ha I think we’ve done enough. She should have learnt her lesson by now. Let’s go.” Eunji said.

The girls left the roof. Youngji woke up and saw that there was a girl standing in front of her. The girl’s hands were trembling.

“Have you finished now?” Youngji asked still dazed about earlier.

“I’m sorry. Jiyeon made me do this. I didn’t have a choice. I’m so sorry.” The girl said as she crouched down and bowed her head.

“What do you mean you didn’t have a choice? Everyone has a choice.” Youngji said as she tried to sit upright.

“She… threatened me. She said if I didn’t, then she would hurt the people I care about.” The girl said as she began to cry.

“I see. What’s your name?” Youngji asked.

“Han Seungyeon. Ah I bought you an icepack. I know this doesn’t help after what I did, but please accept this as an apology and I’m-”

“Seungyeon-shi thank you,” Youngji said as she tried to smile even though her face was hurting all over. Youngji got up with Seungyeon’s help. “Let’s go home.” Youngji said as she smiled at her.

“Ah let me take you home.” Seungyeon said feeling bad for what she did.

“It’s okay I’ll be fine.” Youngji said as she left the room limping. ‘Ahh my mum’s going to shout at me for ripping my skirt.’ She thought. ‘I need to tell those two I can’t make it. I don’t know what to say to them. I can’t…tell them the truth though. Jackson. JB. I’m sorry. I can’t be with you guys anymore.’