Bulletproof Cafe

Tension

Choa was in love.

The short-haired blonde looked across from the window of her cafe, her heart rate rising the longer she stared at the handsome man walking his way. Only this time, she was only seeing him in her dreams, now more vivid after that one encounter with the handsome she has come to know as, “Choi Seunghyun”. She sighed dreamily as she imagined herself walking along the same park they were chased in by their bandmates. However, the sight of the park brought grief to her heart, as she remembered the consequence they both bared once they were caught by their respective bandmates.

She recalled the arguments between Jimin and Youkyung against the boy band, Big Bang, though mainly against G-Dragon and Taeyang. In the heat of their argument, they had spat in each other’s direction with insults and threats due to their rivalry in the band competition, and issued a final demand for the couple that certainly broke their hearts:

“You are not to see each other again, under any circumstances. All contacts with each other must be severed,” G-Dragon and Jimin had said unison, proceeding with deleting the other’s numbers of their phones. Their statements reverberated in the heartbroken-blonde’s mind, echoing over and over again until she slumped forward over the table she was wiping, a soft pout on her face. Her eyes were empty, their life lost within the despair of separation.

Yuna looked worriedly at her eldest, tempted to comfort her. However, she glanced to the dark look on Jimin’s face, scared that her boss would glare at her threateningly. She had no idea why such an extreme measure was necessary, and rather found it ridiculous that Jimin was taking this seriously, even more so than Youkyung. Yuna suspects a reason, but rather wouldn’t push her luck trying to find out more and accidentally crossing Jimin. Instead, she looked to the 7 rowdy boys that walked in, boisterous and loud on a Tuesday afternoon. They all must’ve been in university, with the youngest either still in high school or just began his uni-life. He and another boy walked up to the counter just as Jimin walked away, most likely to get Choa working. Yuna took her manager’s place and took their order.

“Namjoon-hyung,” the younger said, “No tricks this time, okay?”

“What tricks?” The elder, Namjoon, said. “The only trick I pull, Jungkook, is honesty.”

He looked at Yuna with an interested glance before grinning.

“And honestly, I think I just walked into one of heaven’s cafes.”

Jimin, who was about to talk to wake Choa from her gloomy state, choked when she heard Namjoon’s line. Yuna only rolled her eyes while releasing a silent groan, causing the younger to laugh. One of the boys walked up to the counter with a gentlemanly demeanour.

“Did he used an extremely cheesy line on you?” he asked Yuna with a voice as soft as his gaze. “I apologise on his behalf.”

He bowed his head slightly with an innocent smirk on his face. His manners surprised Yuna enough for her to raise an eyebrow, but gave a small smile in appreciation for his gesture. Namjoon, on the other hand, gave him a shove and an unimpressed look.

“I can make prettier words, Jin,” Namjoon justified. “I just wanted to give the rest of you guys a chance.”

“Is that a challenge?” asked one of the other boys as he appeared right beside Namjoon. He reminded Yuna of Daesung (who she was still somewhat infatuated with since the other day) with the slanted and the goofy smile, to the point where she felt her own lungs collapse slightly. She held her breath when their eyes connected, and felt the air rush into her lungs when she looked away and back to the other boys at the counter. 

What is it with attractive boys this past week? She asked herself.

Suddenly, the whole group of boys were crowded around the counter, all with excitement beaming from their faces at the sound of a challenge.

“I heard challenge,” said one of them in the back of the group.

“Calm down, Hoseok, it’s not like you’ll win it anyways,” Said another one of the boys. 

“Hey guys,” Namjoon called to the back. “Calm down and shut up.”

“How about we try to get her number?”

Everyone looked to the boy who said it. Even Choa and Jimin looked at the commotion when he said that, forgetting temporarily the tension between them. Even Chanmi, who was in the back doing some inventory, walked to the edge of her door to look at the reason for the sudden silence. It was her turn to hold her breath for the second time within a week at the sight of the group of attractive boys at the counter. She looked to Yuna, who sighed in resignation.

"Nice idea, Taehyung!" Namjoon clapped his friend in the back and shook him vigourously, causing the others to cheer on alongside.

“So I take it you’re not going to order anything?” Yuna asked politely, annoyance slowly seeping into her jaw. 

“Not unless it’s your number,” Namjoon snapped wittily with a sleazy smile, causing the entire cafe to groan and cringe. 

“Is this even a challenge?” Hoseok yelled from the back as he shoved the others to the side for his turn. He rested his elbow on the counter and leaned his chin onto his hand, a cocky smile on his face. Yuna crossed her arms, her indifferent features hiding her interest in the whole challenge. Sure, she was a bit annoyed that they weren’t actual customers, but they were still enjoyable company.

“Hello,” he began with a voice deeper than usual, and before he continued his other friends laughed at his uniquely deepened voice. “I didn’t even say anything!”

The boy that reminded Yuna of Daesung shooed Hoseok to the side with a flick of both wrists before rubbing his hands together, as if he was going to enact a magic trick. He nudged his head upward before smirking.

“My name’s Min Yoongi.” He introduced himself with an urban flair to his voice before leaning onto the counter. Already some of the other boys were giggling at his method. “People call me Suga. Give me a purr and I’ll be sweeter than sugar.”

Hoseok walked away from the scene, clutching his sides as he has already seen where this was going. Jin and one other joined him as they laughed too hard to make a sound.

“In the end,” Suga said, his voice lowering. “They call me Sugarrrrr.”

He ended his line with a sound that resembled a mix of a purr with a growl, causing the boys to explode with laughter as they each slowly lowered to the floor, the laughter taking too much energy from their legs and taking a toll on their knees. Yuna looked at this with amusement while crossing her arms. She gave a smile to his statement, causing Yoongi to smirk widely. 

However, Yuna shook her head. 

Yoongi’s smiled faltered and went for a last resort by reaching for his wallet. 

“I got many numbers, babe,” he quickly said. “You have 3 choices: My IQ, my wallet, or my phone.”

She found his efforts cute, but she poked his forehead as a way to tell him to stop.

“You had your chance,” she said softly. “Beat it.”

Yoongi could only smile at her attitude and nods with respect before backing away. 

“I like her,” he said. “She got game.”

Jungkook, the youngest of the group, walked up to her with wide and bright eyes that seemed to just shine. Yuna was certainly pulled towards the younger man, especially with the way his eyes seemed to be star-like in brilliance and gravity as it her breath from her lungs. His mouth was slightly opened in wonder, showing pearl-like teeth that subtly shined like his eyes. He smiled widely with a child-like innocence before bowing. 

“Noona,” he began simply. “Would you kindly please give me the passcode to unlock my path, as a boy, towards becoming a better man?”

He looked back to his older friends who were all, again, kneeling and clutching their stomachs in hard, silent laughter, before turning his smile into a mischievous grin.

“At least, a better man than my hyungs?”

The cafe exploded again, only this time by the sound of heavy groans as the boys cringed with such intensity, arching their backs in an almost inhuman and painful manner. Sounds returned to their laughter, filling the cafe with the cackling of hyenas as they went back to their original table. A couple of the boys couldn’t stand, opting instead to crawl back with the rest. Jungkook was still at the counter, his hands behind his back while looking at Yuna with innocent expectations. She could only smile and sigh at the boy.

“How old are you?” she asked him as she took out a napkin and picked up a pen. 

“19,” he replied simply.

She handed him the napkin with her phone number in it to the younger’s excitement. Yuna saw no harm in giving the (admittedly) attractive younger man her number; it would probably just be one date anyways. 

Just as she handed him the napkin, the room shook with furious stomps and a roar of fury. Yuna looked to the raging blonde exiting the cafe with much anger, with an equally furious, short, brunette following her. 

What has the manager-best-friend done this time? Yuna caught Chanmi’s look of worry before looking back at the two best friends outside. She looked at them as if she was looking at two bombs at the point of explosion.