The Folly of Womanisers

Tension

”I-It’s going to be okay, honey.”

The wetness between Choa’s legs began drying as she comforted her tall roommate, who was lying down with her head on her lap. Hyejeong’s tears replaced the dampness in Choa’s pants before, causing her legs to squirm just a bit. Choa looked up to Seunghyun for a way out, but he could only shrug. Choa groaned on the inside. When she and Seunghyun when back to her place, the plan was an intense night of affection. However, just as they were about to kiss once they passed the apartment door, they both saw the sobbing Hyejeong on the couch as she was crawling her way through her third tub of ice cream, the first two lying empty on the floor.

So now, the couple’s night was filled with intense awkwardness, sadness and regret instead of the intense pleasure they had planned.

“MANSAE!” Hyejeong was completely out of her mind, throwing a used tissue that nearly hit Seunghyun. “Why can’t I just be straight and fangirl over some dude like the guys in Seventeen?!”

“But if you’re straight, wouldn’t you want them to be gay for each other?” Seunghyun dodged another wet ball of tears after hyejeong sobbed loudly, it’s paper form landing in devastation beside the taller for man. He stared at the wet tissue ball, thinking it might’ve felt sadness for not being able to touch him, before he looked back and found Choa glaring at him. She her roommates head as they both sang “Mansae” (Choa in hesitance as she went along to ease her roommates pain, and Hyejeong in sorrowful agony).

“At least in boy groups,” Hyejeong continued her rant. “When they cheat on each other it would be in fiction.”

Hyejeong took a moment to pull back some mucus with a sniff.

“Why can’t my affairs be fictional?!”

Choa and Seunghyun looked at each other in surprise, their mouths gaped. Their minds moved straight to Seolhyun. No wonder she was horribly pissed off, the younger probably caught Hyejeong in some dangerous act with someone she shouldn’t be with. Choa wasn’t sure if her roommate is one for seeing multiple women at a time, since technically she only sees women once and moves on to the next, but she knew that cheating on Seolhyun was a sin in Hyejeong’s bible.

The older knew she was going to shoot herself in the foot for this, but she had to know what happened to understand the situation.

“So.” Choa let the word hang for a moment, mustering shreds of her courage to bring up the million dollar question. “How did it happen?”

Hyejeong’s sniffling stopped. Her eyes remained puffy and red, but the she stopped sobbing. The tears still streamed down her eyes as she sat up and leaned back onto the sofa, finally leaning her head on Choa’s shoulder. She nuzzled simply before looking up at her roommate.

“Umma,” Hyejeong asked sweetly, any drop of sadness evaporating beneath the heat of her cuteness. “Can we get ice cream?”

Never, during their entire time together as roommates or as college friends, did Hyejeong tried to do aegyo to Choa. Usually, the tall girl would use it on ex-girlfriends when she messed up horribly in the relationship, like forgetting an anniversary, or messing up a meeting with the parents. However, it was reserved for when she really, really, screws up. Choa could only guess that Hyejeong ed up so much, that she didn’t even have a chance to do it to Seolhyun (or probably didn’t have the guts to face her), and could only take it out on the one person she could never hit on, even if she wanted to. 

What a time to be alive, it must be the apocalypse.

Choa’s breath hitched at her act. She didn’t move for a few seconds, with Hyejeong blinking cutely once with a simple smile. Her breathing stilled at the proximity, only to remember that it was her gay roommate and she already had a boyfriend. Choa sighed and looked away from her troubled roommate, even going so far as to push her by the forehead. Hyejeong gasped in shock, her trick shattered with the simple act of separation. Hyejeong looked down, the tears falling down again, quickly running down her cheeks. 

“It was all my fault.” Hyejeong didn’t sniff, but her voice was low and cracking. “I met Chanmi in a shoe store, and we came back to this place…”

The tall woman, forlorn and broken, wiped the tears off her face. She looked at the collected puddle of water at her wrist, and stared as it all dropped down her vein. Choa knew that look on her face, the way those eyes sharpened turned to knives that were just hungering to cut smooth flesh.

“It was a moment of weakness,” Hyejeong continued, quickly dropping her wrist and looked up to Choa. “Seolhyun was gone and Chanmi was pretty. Just as she had gotten on top of me, Hyunnie walked in. I can’t believe I just let it…”

Hyejeong’s scarred throat, torn by the guilt and sadness, wouldn’t let her continue, and they were back where they started, with the taller roommate lying on Choa’s lap and sobbing into her legs. 

“I LET HER IN!” Hyejeong’s scream was muffled by her roommate’s skin, but nonetheless it was still heart quaking, causing Choa and Seunghyun to jump a bit. “I’M SO WEAK!”

Hyejeong quickly stood and made her way to the balcony. Choa’s eyes widened and she tried to follow the brunette, knowing what was going to happen. Seunghyun only followed, knowing something bad was going to happen if he didn’t act fast. Hyejeong swung open the balcony door with such strength, Choa thought she was going to rip it off. As soon as she saw the way the brunette gripped the railing and raised her right leg, Choa’s adrenaline began pumping and she instantly sprinted to grab Hyejeong. She tried to pull with all her might, but she was scared that any extra force would cause-

Seunghyun hugged both of the women and grunted, pulling them back onto him. He hung onto Hyejeong, despite the struggle the tall brunette was putting up to be free of her misery. It’s a good thing Seunghyun had experienced in dealing with crazy exes, or else this encounter might have actually ended in a worse state.

Don’t ask about the exes, they still haunt him.

Choa slipped herself out of her boyfriend’s (oh so smooth) embrace to land on the fighting brunette, essentially sandwiching Hyejeong between the couple. She grasped onto her roommate’s wrists tightly to stop her from thrashing around. Seunghyun became a snake around Hyejeong, tightening the more she moved, though without choking the victim to death.

“Hyejeong, please calm down,” the motherly blonde said softly, her eyes widened in fear. “Let’s go back inside and-“
“LET ME GO!” 

Hyjeeong managed to elbow Sunghyun in the gut, loosening his grip on her with a grunt. She was able to jump out of his grip and shove the smaller roommate off of her, and resumed her position right onto the edge of the railing. Choa stood again and grabbed her friend’s arm, trying to pull her back once more.

“Hyejeong, don’t-“

The small blonde felt a force on her temple, causing her to fall back. The trip to the floor was slow, and her breathing stilled on her way down. The lights in the distance blurred into the dark night, as if their bubbles of colour burst and melded into each other. For a brief moment, Choa thought she had seen Jimin’s face in the distance.

How did Jimin deal with this? she wondered, her thoughts running sluggish. How did she deal with…?

Choa’s body dropped against the railing with a loud thud, her head knocking again against the metal bars. Seunghyun and Hyejeong froze as they both looked to the fallen blonde, before zipping their gazes to each other in fear. They both saw their hearts beat in other’s eyes, but only a fool would guess that it was out of lovestruck. They were both scared of their precious, tiny blonde getting knocked out. Hyejeong leapt from the railing and carried Choa back inside to the apartment, much to Seunghyun’s confusion. He actually thought that he would have more to deal with if Hyejeong knocked Choa out, but instead all of the tension from before just dropped. 

Seunghyun and followed as the tall brunette carried his girlfriend to her room and tucked her into her bed, making sure the pillow is fluffed in case there was any head damage. The tall man leaned against the doorway as Hyejeong sat next to her roommate.

“Sh-should we call a doctor?” Seunghyun asked, genuinely lost in the situation. “She might have a concussion.”

“Please.” Hyejeong’s voice was flat, all form of emotion lost. “Choa has the second thickest skull to anyone, with only Jimin breaking that record.”

“But just in case-“

“How did she do it?” 

Seunghyun blinked in confusion. 

“Excuse me?” The man’s mind was cut by the whiplash from the sudden in change in conversation. “Do what?”

“Not jump.”

There was a bit of silence, broken only by Seunghyun’s cough.

“Did she tell you?” Hyejeong looked to Seunghyun with red and puffy, but not teary eyes. “How she nearly jumped off a bridge?”

“She nearly what?!” The boyfriend’s eyes widened, a hand reaching the doorway and gripping it tightly. “Jumped?”

“Long story short, a douchebag broke up with her and he left her by a bridge.” Hyejeong stood and leaned at the wall beside the doorway. “She told me this the day afterwards, but left out the details on how she stopped herself from jumping.”

Seunghyun bumped his head on the wooden doorway, trying to force the information in.
“She…” His eyes look lost, his heart at his throat. “Tried to kill herself?”

“I thought it was stupid at first,” Hyejeong said. “But now I know what it feels like, to want to jump through any limits for love.”

They both looked back at the precious sleeping blonde as she gently snored. Seunghyun could only watch in disbelief at the steady rise and fall of her breathing hypnotising him deeper into his own thoughts. He didn’t get how someone so bright could have such dark thoughts and a scarred past. Sure such a description isn’t exactly befitting, rather better given to someone who’s actually dysfunctionally psychopathic, but Seunghyun had never thought suicidal people could be…

Well…

Real.

“What made you stop?” Seunghyun could only ask.
“Well, the feeling of hitting someone, even if it’s with my elbow, woke me up I guess,” Hyejeong explained. “Specifically hitting Choa brought me back, and I remembered how fragile she was. And I promised that I would be tougher than that.”

Seunghyun sat beside his sleeping girlfriend and her hair, relishing in how soft her hair was, his eyes drinking the beauty of her angelic features. Hyejeong sighed and sat across from him, being a bit more wary in case he becomes overly protective. The brunette rubbed the blonde’s shoulder as a gesture of comfort, hoping to make herself and Choa feel better. 

“I’m gonna try and put this behind me,” the brunette muttered, causing Seunghyun to perk up at her soft words. “There are plenty of fish in the sea, right?”

“If you say so,” Seunghyun said, laughing in reluctance. “Are you sure you want to let Seolhyun go?”

“If I don’t, I’m scared of fully committing on that jump.” Hyejeong managed a laugh, one with an actual hint of happiness. “That’ll do nothing for me.”

The tall man nodded at his girlfriend’s roommate and held out a hand over his girlfriend. Hyejeong eyed the hand warily, before looking at Seunghyun with extreme suspicion. In the end, she reached out and held the hand reluctantly, shaking it slowly as if it would explode if she was more vigorous with the handshake. Essentially, Seunghyun and Hyejeong were shaking hands over the sleeping Choa. They both imagined that if she was awake, she would’ve squealed loudly into her pillow.

“You have gained some respect from me, good madame,” Seunghyun cordially said. “Let us hope that you gain more.”

Hyejeong slowly nodded.

“Hey, mind if I ask a quick question?” Hyejeong asked out of the blue, a thought bothering her from before suddenly popping up to her mind. “It’s in the business of my close roommate.”

“Sure,” Seunghyun agreed, leaning onto Choa as he raised his legs up to the bed. “What would you ask of me?”

“Were you ever a player?” Hyejeong asked, with her arms crossed. “I’ve always had this suspicion that you had plenty of women in the palm of your hand.”

“I was,” Seunghyun whole-heartedly admitted. “At least, before I met my little angel Choaya.”

Seunhyun’s lips curled up into a cutely smug smile, as he nuzzled Choa’s head. He even made a little excited whine, one that actually made Hyejeong visibly gag. The ex-player could only laugh at the tall woman’s reaction, before sticking his tongue out. 

“Why is that so disgusting?” Hyejeong wondered aloud. “Maybe I should have stayed single.”

“Well be prepared to see more of this, young lady Hyejeong,” Seunghyun teased. “Why do you ask if I was a player anyways?”

“I… um…” Hyejeong was tongue-tied, unable to believe that she was asking this so she said something else. “I-I thought you were going to cheat on Choa or already have a side girl on call.”

“Point taken,” Seunghyun admitted. “I do admit that I am devilishly handsome.” 

The overly handsome man with smouldering eyes rested his chin on the crook of his thumb and forefinger, angling his face to Hyejeong so that he could fully flaunt his charming good looks. Hyejeong could only gag more and look away, choking on the pure cheese that was filling in . How could such a man exist?

“Can it, player,” Hyejeong said. “You almost turned me straight.”

“You enjoy it.” The gentleman winked. 

“Save it for Choa.” Hyejeong decided that it was now or never as she sighed out her nervousness. “I actually wanted to a-ask if you could give me tips.”

“Tips?” The teasing gentleman sat up in interest, leaning in over his sleeping beauty. “On…?”

“On being a better player,” Hyejeong said with uncertainty, her gaze trying to meet his but falling. “I need to move on.”

“And you think I have some secret knowledge to help you?” Seunghyun smirked. “Well I guess I could have someone spread my legacy.”

Hyejeong’s gaze lit up, even though her heart was still dropping into hell with the guilt about Seolhyun. However, it can wait, for Hyejeong stuck an arm out for Seunghyun to shake. The man complied, as they were both in agreement to make the brunette the best womaniser she could be (at least for the time being).

“You guys are so sweet.” Hyejeong and Seunghyun froze as Choa sat up and pushed her covers out. “I feel like you both would be a better ship than me and Seunghyun.”