Of Angels and Demons

Tension

Choa had no regrets as she held the ice pack to her cheek. 

In fact, the situation was all the more better because the fist landed just when her Seunghyun walked in, so her recovery process was all that more delightful. No pain could deter her from looking at her loving boyfriend as she caught her in mid-air, the force of the punch knocking her out of her chair. Chanmi could only stare wide-eyed at the impressive man, remembering him from the park. The temporary manager also remembered the he carried Choa with ease, so she’s guessing a fist from would hurt a lot more than whatever she could muster up.

She shut her eyes closed, preparing herself for the intense pain to come, but instead of feeling a solid truck to her face, she felt nothing. She opened one eye to see Seunghyun carrying Choa to the back of the cafe in a hurry, before scanning the rest of the cafe to see everyone staring at her with shocked eyes and hands on their mouths. Even the employees covered their mouths with their palm, their eyes widened at the sight of their boss just knocking a freaking angel down.

Hoseok and Jin had the most dramatic versions of the expressions being that they just had a conversation about the aforementioned women. As Seunghyun passed by them, Hoseok’s eyes began to water exaggeratedly. He let out a small, choked out cry before falling onto his knees, holding onto the counter with one hand as he bit his other fist. 

“I have never seen an angel fall so fast,” Jin said with such amazement. “Chanmi must surely be a demon.”

“That's what I’ve been telling you, hyung!” Hoseok quickly stood up and glared at the guilt-ridden boss, the other customers just going back to their business (they dared not to speak of what just happened for fear of a demon’s fist). “There is no way I’m getting together with that- that mass of evil!”

“What mass of evil are you both talking about?
The quiet voice from behind them sent shivers down their spine. Their eyes widened at each other and they froze, not daring to look at the source of their potential deaths just yet. Their other employees just snickered as they passed by with drinks, each of the other boys just taking pleasure from their plight.

Well, it’s now or never, Hoseok thought to himself as he turned really slowly. Jin took his queue to turn as well,but both were surprised with the sight. Chanmi had a depressed expression, her eyes broken, yet leaking no tears. When they turned, she only walked through them and took her place behind the counter and plopped on the floor, disappearing from sight. 

Jin and Hoseok looked back at each other with the same expressionless face. They both could see the guilt in each other’s eyes, however, and merely stared at each other for a few seconds. 

“L-let’s check up on our angel,” Jin suggested with a stutter.

“Let’s.” They both rushed to the back of the cafe, only to find their angel and her man in a very…

Intimate position. 

They both left it at that as they couldn’t fathom why an ice pack would be used in such a way other than preserving meats or chilling bruises. But that… sight gave them a few more creative ways to use ice packs. Ice packs can also be used extraordinary ways beyond human comprehension. Ice packs are love. Ice packs are life. 

Jin and Hoseok took their place beside Chanmi on the floor behind the counter, their eyes, ears, and conceptions about ice packs scarred. No wonder Choa had no regrets about getting punched in the face. If anything, the two boys expected Chanmi to get a raise, a promotion, and an extra gift from the angels for that fist to the face.

They both patted Chanmi in back, knowing that she’s still down in the dumps. Just then, Choa quickly walked out of the backroom with tousled hair, smeared lipstick, and ruffled clothes. She crouched and Chanmi’s hair quickly, much to the younger’s surprise. Seunghyun was standing awkwardly behind his lover, looking around the cafe, and noticing how most of the girls had their eyes on him if they weren’t paying attention on the other employees. He lowered himself slowly and awkwardly, until he was sitting cross-legged behind the counter. 

“I forgive you for the punch,” Choa quickly said before giggling when Seunghyun awkwardly wrapped his arms around her waist. “I’ll make sure you keep your job in case Jimin finds out about this.”

“But Jimin’s over there, working,” Hoseok said, pointing outside of the counter at the handsome shortie that was slaying fangirls with a swipe of his plump lips. “Why would he care?”

“Shin Jimin,” Choa deadpanned. “The owner of this cafe.”

Hoseok and Jin silently “ooooh”d at the clarification. Choa stood up and straightened herself out, with the help of her boyfriend who stood up with her. He smiled as he fixed her outfit and helped straightened her hair while she wiped the extra lipstick of her side of . Just as Choa tried to get out, Seunghyun blocked her path and leaned in with his cheek forward. Whoa pouted at the offending facial feature, and didn’t want to kiss it by whining her way out of it. Seunghyun was insistent however, and leaned in further, this time smirking cutely while staring into her eyes. The smaller blonde gave up and gave him a kiss to the cheek, allowing them both to move out from behind the counter. 

“That is so sweet it’s sickening,” Jin said, remembering how he thought of young love only to be sickened by the sight of it with Choa and Seunghyun. “They’re like a bunch of teenagers.”

“They’re older than you though,” Chanmi joined in, as she and Hoseok stared with Jin at the couple as they walked to each employee of the cafe. “The things old people do to feel young again.”

They all tilt their heads as they saw Choa speaking to each employee and coming to an agreement with a bow of heads. The entire time Seunghyun had his arms around Choa like a bear rug was hung around Choa in the manner of a cape. It certainly made her look more intimidating (if not incredibly adorable) to the trio behind the counter. 

Namjoon threw a bit of hot water at the absent-minded trio to break them out of their staring. Jin jumped first, causing the other two to break their gaze from the couple to the sudden movement. 

“Get back to work you guys,” he said commandingly. “That includes you, boss.”

Jin and Hoseok quickly left the counter to serve the girls while Chanmi  took her space beside Namjoon at the cappuccino machine. Namjoon took his finished cup of coffee out from the machine and brought it out to the customers while Chanmi made a whole set of cups for the boys to pick up. She huffed at the recent turn of events, but then she felt her soul drop when the true demon of the cafe walked in. 

God Jimin Diva’s back. 

Her crew, AoA the Ace of Angels, followed behind her in excited cheers. Choa turned quickly and hugged all of the Angels, but was hesitant to hug Jimin. She made a move to hug, but stopped herself just when she was about to hug her… best friend. Everyone felt the awkwardness between them, especially the Angels who suddenly became quiet at the sight of the two and remembering the incident from before. Choa instantly became confused at the sight of Seolhyun who had her hand in Jimin’s the entire time, and suddenly saw a quick movement at the corner of her eyes. She couldn’t place it at first, but the other boys saw it clearly; Chanmi ducked quickly at the sight of Seolhyun.

The temporary manager quickly she was anywhere but in the same place as Seolhyun. 

Luckily, Choa and the rest of the Angels ate up everyone else’s attention (including the envious gazes from the female customers), allowing Chanmi a chance to sneak out as Choa led them to an empty table. She quickly sprinted out of the door when everyone’s back was turned to her. Only the employees saw the fleeting image of their boss, confused at the sudden behaviour. But their attention was beckoned back to the suddenly needy customers, with their insecurities suddenly escalating. The boys realised that they had to be more careful with their words and actions, as they’re job had suddenly turned to navigating a dense minefield with their female customers having a very short fuse due to AoA sitting so close to them.

One wrong step and the whole restaurant explodes.

Meanwhile, Jimin was drooling at the way the cafe turned out, much to Seolhyun’s annoyance. Seolhyun tugged on Jimin’s chin so that the smaller looked back to the younger, allowing Seolhyun to wipe off the crawling saliva. 

Choa was confused.

“So, Seolhyun.” Choa fidgeted with her fingers, suddenly aware of the relationship status of the two girls in front of her as she looked to Yuna, who was sitting at another table with Youkyung and Mina (Seunghyun was working at the cappuccino machine in replacement of Chanmi). “How’s Hyejeong?”

Seolhyun stared at her for a moment before a blinking once.

Twice.

On the third time she only saw Choa on the floor with a bruised cheek.