The Youngest Employee

Tension

Chanmi had just bought a new pair of sneakers.

She was on the edge of skipping in joy, the steps of her walk having just a bit more bounce  than usual as she travelled uphill. A grin was plastered on her face as she held the plastic bag containing the shoebox with both of her hands. Making her first big purchase that she wanted during her preliminary months in university was a big step for her, but she did so without regrets. It was a good day too, with just the right amount of clouds floating against the radiant blue sky. Beside her was a park with a few people having some outdoor fun, whether it was a picnic for a couple or a family playing catch. She looked to the park and was happy to see that the environment matched her mood. 

She looked back forward and saw a couple running in her direction. One of them she recognised as one of the other employees in the cafe that she worked part time. How could she not recognise that beautiful bob of blonde hair? What struck Chanmi though, was the handsome man that was holding her as they were running, meaning that the eldest couldn’t be teased for her single status anymore.

Oh well, she thought to herself. At least I can still about her boyfriend.

“Hi Chanmi, gotta go!”

Choa saw the girl and gave her a greeting before passing by, smiling at the university student before continuing her escape. Chanmi merely shook her head, but when she turned back to the path she was headed to, four (incredibly hot) men whizzed past her, the scent of them freezing her in her tracks. One of them accidentally knocked into her, causing her to be pushed back while being caught off guard. She gasped at the contact before almost falling. She regained her balance just as she their retreating forms. 

“Don’t let them get away!”

Chanmi looked back to see the men chasing the previous couple, but was surprised to see one of them turning back to her. He bowed quickly with an adorable grin, his blonde tousled from running.

“Sorry,” he apologised quickly. “I need to be quick since we’re in the middle of a chase, but I apologise for knocking into you.”

“Seungri! They’re getting away!”

 He winked at her before running back with his group. Chanmi’s heart fluttered at his action, and felt like she was struck by Cupid’s arrow. She had the urge to kneel and sigh while fantasising more about the man, Seungri, before feeling another group of people running past her. The wind that followed nearly knocked her along in the direction the group was running in, pulling her away from Seungri’s face to the group. 

“Get to Choa before they do!”

She recognised the voice of her boss. 

Jimin-unnie? What is happening today?

First, one of her co-workers was running (happily and adorably) with a handsome man she has never seen before. Then, it turns out they were being chased by two groups, one of which was full of breathtakingly handsome men, and the other contained her boss. It was certainly an interesting Saturday for her, one that she can be sure to ask about when she gets in. 

I must investigate; I need more information.

Chanmi sat on a bench in the park and saw that the couple of interest took a turn into the park, and watched with intrigue at how the two groups split up to try and corner the couple somewhere in the park, probably next to some trees. Chanmi giggled at how the boy group scattered when they felt that they were close enough to catch the couple, and laughed when she saw all four of them jumped, only for the man of the couple picked up the girl and jumped away as well, causing the group to fall flat on their faces on the grass. She saw Seungri stand up first with a determined smirk, one that caused her face to flush red and brought a hand to her forehead. 

It was the sun beaming brightly in my eyes, she excused to herself. Yeah, if the sun was his face radiantly shining…

She sighed at her own reaction, and only returned to watching the group of girls running to chase the couple. Choa was finally set down and was running alongside the tall man, but they were chased by a wall of girls. It was clear that the group wasn’t going to catch up, however Choa tripped on the grass, causing the group to sprint even faster than before, seeing that their victory was close. Chanmi was at the edge when the distance was closing, however squealed in delight when she the man picking Choa up for the second time and ran away quickly just as the group jumped to catch Choa. Their yells of pain were audible from the long distance that Chanmi sat from, causing her to laugh. 

Should I help? Chanmi was contemplating whether she should get involved. On one hand, this was a funny sight to watch from afar. However, it would mean she knew what the situation was and she could join in the fun. I’ll watch for a bit longer.

In the meantime, Chanmi took out the shoebox from its’ plastic bag and opened it, marvelling at the black sneakers she just bought, at least until Choa and her lovely partner sat beside her. They were both panting hard, taking turns looking back to find potential pursuers. 

Chanmi merely raised an eyebrow while staring at the two.

“Choa-unnie,” Chanmi said to the blonde next to her as she rested her head on the younger’s shoulder. “Anything interesting you’d like to tell me?”

“Nothing you can tease me with,” Choa said, while looking at the sneaker in Chanmi’s hand. “Nice shoes.”

“Thank you.” Chanmi took the compliment before looking at the handsome mean leaning against the other side of the bench while panting. He looked back and nodded a greeting before smiling, resting his head on his hand. “He seems to be into me.”

“Oh, shut up,” Choa growled, too tired to deal with Chanmi’s sarcasm. “He’s my boyfriend.”

Chanmi jumped a bit in her seat, much to the blonde’s discomfort. Chanmi narrowed her eyes at the older, looking for any hidden vulnerabilities in the statement. She wasn’t buying it.

“Since when?” Chanmi looked back to the handsome as he leaned into Choa and rested his head on her arm. He extended an arm to the youngest.

“Seunghyun,” he introduced himself. “And I’ve been dating this lovely lady since this noon.”

Choa giggled like a madwoman at Seunghyun’s statement, pushing him away from her before leaning onto his arm. She nuzzled before hugging him across his body, pinning his arm onto his body.

“Are your pursuers gone?” Chanmi asked with interest, looking around to find the 2 groups. “Who were they anyway? Why was Jimin-unnie there too?”

“Our bands,” Choa and Seunghyun replied at the same time. They both blinked before looking at each other and laughing at how synchronised they were. Chanmi rolled her eyes and groaned her displeasure. 

“Should I ask?” Chanmi reconsidered her earlier choice of wanting to be involved in whatever situation the couple was a part of. However, she did partake in the couple’s scanning to find their respective bands. It was easy for Chanmi, as it’s hard to miss Seungri and his brightly-attired crew hiding behind a wide oak. Finding Jimin’s group was slightly harder, but only because she couldn’t visibly see the group. It was still easy to find, since all she had to do was pinpoint the sound of her yelling (most likely from something Yuna said, according to Chanmi). 

“Just that our bands are rivals and they’re against seeing us together because of it,” Seunghyun summarised. Chanmi nodded as she returned the sneakers back into their box. She puts into the plastic bag before hearing the simultaneous war cries of the two factions, causing her to jump in shock. Choa and Seunghyun quickly jumped up from their benches with grins on their faces.

“See you later at work, Chanmi!”

Choa sighed as the two bands ran past her to chase the suddenly popular couple, which was cut short by a gasp at the fleeting sight of Seungri winking at her as he ran away. Chanmi hugged her box tightly to slow her speeding heartbeat, as she followed Seungri’s fleeing forms. She could only smile, interested in the way the events would turn in the coming weeks.

The teasing won’t end for months!