Nineteen

Against All Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
“I think she’s gonna be fine,” said Siwon after hesitating for a moment. He sipped his coffee and looked at the man sitting in front of him. Hwang Jungmin shook his head slowly, as if he found Siwon’s words hard to believe. Frankly, Siwon wasn’t sure himself but what else could he say? Earlier this morning Hwang Jungmin called him and asked to meet at the café near COEN Corporation head office. He said there’s something they had to talk about. Siwon knew all along that Hwang Jungmin wanted to talk about Tiffany with him. Tiffany’s attitude made everyone wondered. That girl seemed fine outside. However, her close friends and inner circle noticed that she’s not fine at all. She’s in a bad state. One time she’s working, talking, and laughing as usual. Other time she was moody, dozing off, and even going blank. Hwang Jungmin took a cigarette and offered it to Siwon who’s just shaking his head politely. “You don’t mind if I smoked right?” Siwon answered he didn’t mind. Hwang Jungmin lit his cigar and inhaled that smoke deeply. “Damn it, I’ve been stopped smoking for almost ten years, but I really need this thing today.” “Has Miyoung come to you?” asked Siwon. “I mean, has she enquired you about anything?” Hwang Jungmin nodded. “About two days after she disappeared,” he replied. “She came and demanded an explanation.” “And then?” Siwon urged when Hwang Jungmin muted. “She took it really well,” continued the older man. “Too damn well, it scared me.” He took a drag, and exhaled the smoke gradually. “She listened to my story without interrupting. After that, she just nodded along, thanked me for telling her, and left. Ever since, she hasn’t mentioned Chang, uhm anything about Rudy. Krystal and I didn’t dare to ask, guess we’re afraid of how she would react.” Siwon bit his donut. He understood what Tiffany’s father felt, because he also felt it. He remembered that night, about two weeks ago, when he found Tiffany on the edge of the bridge with tattoo on her finger. That time Tiffany admitted that she’s about to jump and commit suicide. That girl was so depressed that Siwon couldn’t bear to leave her alone. But the day after, Tiffany changed instantly, as if the night before didn’t happen. Tiffany back to her old self, even though not exactly like her old self. Siwon still contacted her regularly, talking with her about almost anything, eating together. Nonetheless, that girl never mentioned or asked around about Changwook anymore. Not even once ever since Changwook left her apartment that morning. And Siwon also tried his best to avoid any topic about Changwook. Just like Tiffany’s father, he was afraid of how Tiffany would react if he mentioned Changwook’s name. What if that girl did an even crazier thing than night ago? “How’s Chang…uhm I mean Rudy holding up?” Hwang Jungmin asked suddenly, startling Siwon. Siwon gave a thin smile. “He’s the same,” answered him. Actually, to tell the truth, Changwook changed, he’s not like himself. It’s hard for Siwon to reach Changwook, let alone meet him. Changwook was always busy, it’s like he’s doing it on purpose by working three times harder than before. Well, the result was exceptionally good, all the targets reached, his supervisor was ecstatic having Changwook working with him. But it took a toll of Changwook’s body and mood, he’s always tense at work whereas he was relaxed and calm before. His colleagues thought it was due to the pressure of the projects and target figure, yet Siwon knew the reason was more than that. “Have you talked to Rudy, Abonim?” Siwon said. “Yes,” muttered Hwang Jungmin. “But he’s not saying much, he just said he’s relieved that everything’s clear now.” Hwang Jungmin messed his own hair. “That kid is already hopeless,” he said grimly. “We can only look after and care about them,” Siwon sighed. “Seriously, Abonim, that’s all we can do in such situation.” Hwang Jungmin took a last deep drag and stubbed his cigar. “Do you think will they – someday, I don’t know when, but someday – can they move on and have family on their own?” Siwon wasn’t answering the question. He only looked at Hwang Jungmin, because he felt that Hwang Jungmin wasn’t expecting an answer.

 

Sooyoung glanced at Tiffany once in a while. Tiffany was reading a beauty website on her desk. Her right hand was busy operating the mouse while her chin leaned on her left hand. Tiffany looked, well, normal. But why did Sooyoung feel nervous? “Unnie,” “Mm?” Tiffany mumbled without turned her head. Sooyoung just about to open then discouraged. She remembered Siwon’s warning to not to mention Changwook in front of Tiffany, with the exception if the girl brought it up herself. For the past weeks were confusing for Sooyoung. She didn’t know what the real deal was, but she was sure about one thing. The deal was about Rudy Lee. Either their relationship didn’t work or they had a fight? It’s possible, but Sooyoung somehow sensed the problem was bigger than that. Just then Park Yoochun came into the room with a big smile and greeted everyone there. “What’s with Yoochun Wanjang?” Tiffany muttered suddenly. Sooyoung was rather stunned, but she shrugged. “No idea,” Yoochun approached them. “Halo, girls,” he greeted. “Isn’t the world looked so much more beautiful when our quarterly sale exceed the target?” Tiffany smiled politely while Sooyoung grimaced. Yoochun clapped asking for attention. “Listen all! I will treat the whole trading department drinks tonight! How is that sound?!” All people in the room cheered and clapped their hands. It’s rare for Yoochun to act so dearly to his subordinates. “Tiffany,” Yoochun knocked on Tiffany’s desk. “You’re coming right? After all, we exceeded the target after you managed to convince one of our big clients in Germany to import our products.” Tiffany only simpered. “I don’t know yet, Wanjang-nim.” “You have to learn to have fun sometimes, Tiffany,” Yoochun continued. “Or ahhh, you already had plan tonight with your sweet boyfriend? I heard you have one, right? Rudy something?” Tiffany’s eyes still fixed on the screen, but her body language changed. While Sooyoung was anxious, wishing Yoochun wouldn’t bring it up again. “Right? You have boyfr…” “YOOCHUN WANJANG-NIM!” Sooyoung practically yelled interrupting his words then coughing softly when she realized all eyes in the room were on her. “I – there’s something I need to ask.” Before Yoochun even reacted, Sooyoung was pushing him away from the desk and brought him to his room. She didn’t know what to ask him yet, but it’s more important to keep him away from Tiffany. It’s probably too late, but it’s better than Yoochun kept talking and insensitively rubbing Rudy’s name in Tiffany’s face. When Sooyoung came back in the room, Tiffany was gone.

 

What time is it? Changwook glanced at his left hand, but immediately realized his stupidity. He wasn’t wearing a watch because his left hand was still in cast. He then reached his pocket and took his phone, but his phone slipped and fell hard on the street. Upset, Changwook clicked then bent to pick it up. That time he noticed his shoelace was loose, he’s stunned. The brown canvas shoe from Tiffany. He choked. He tied his shoelace as soon as he could with hardship and took a deep breath slowly. It’s been decided. He shouldn’t be wavering anymore. He ensured himself that this was the only way he could do before everything’s worsened. This problem didn’t have a win-win solution after all. Facing this problem was like diving into a trench without an oxygen tank. It’s dark and stifling. Changwook turned and found a fast food restaurant not far from where he stood. He must take a seat and eat. His thundering stomach indicated that he hadn’t eaten since last night after work with his division colleagues. He was about to come in when he heard his name called. He looked around and saw a young brunette woman dashed to him smiling. Ah, isn’t she the woman that came with Siwon hyung to Tiffany’s birthday pa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter