An Explanation

Restless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning I was awaken by my concierge. ‘There’s a Chinese young man here and he says he wants to see you, because you were waiting for him today’. I panicked. I had gone to bed so tired and emotionally worn out that I forgot about Yixing coming to get the paintings. 

 

After five minutes, I could pull off a nice, decent face and outfit to receive him. I even boiled some water and put some cookies on the table, to make it look I had been awake for longer that five minutes. 

 

The doorbell rang. 

 

‘Good morning’, Yixing laughed. ‘What?’, I asked worried. ‘You have your pillow outlined on your left cheek’, he said between chuckles. Of course, I blushed. ‘I’ll get the paintings and I’ll leave so you can keep sleeping’, he said. 

- It’s alright – I said shyly – I overslept so I’m sorry 

- It’s alright – He repeated – Where are they? 

- Follow me – I took him to my spare room

- Great – He said while he went through the painted canvas – We will frame them and deduce that from your paycheck 

- My paycheck? – I repeated, unable to believe my own ears 

- Yeah. I sent your pictures to my friends and they sent them to other clients and two of them are interested in buying your art.

That’s like heaven, finally I make something that I studied for. I helped Yixing to cover my paintings with paper and plastic and we called the post office to come get the packed artwork. ‘Want a cup of tea?’, I asked him, as we both waited for the post man to arrive.

 

‘You have a nice view’, Yixing said as he drank of his cup of tea, looking at the district of Gangnam. ‘It’s a nice location to’, I said, ‘It’s ten minutes away from the school. Where do you live?’

- Near Myeondong – He answered – Mei wanted to be near the commercial area, but I don’t like it much, it’s too crowded

- Well it’s also crowded here – I told him – And it’s as noisy as Myeondong. I used to live there with my parents

- I spent my whole life in Changsha – He began – It’s a big city in China but I lived in a calm area. It’s a big change. 

- Yeah. You’re so thoughtful 

- I am – He chuckled – Mei is happy so I am happy too. 

When the people from the post office came and took my paintings, we realized it was lunc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter