Communication

Restless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I spent the weekend with my parents and brother in Busan. Quite ordinary really. We talked and shared with them and a few cousins and uncles who decided to see me as well. On our way back, my brother kept asking me about Joonmyeon. ‘Why don’t you want to talk about him, Yebin?’, he asked. ‘Because it was really an unfortunate experience the one we had on Thursday’. My brother looked at me quickly, as he was driving. ‘Alright tell me about it’, he requested. ‘I’ve always thought you two had some sort of secret I didn’t know’. 

- He asked you to talk to me, right? – I asked my brother

- No, not really – He answered – But he arrived quite angry on Thursday and then stopped talking about you. Which is something he always does. 

- We had an awkward conversation, that’s all– I explained – I ended up asking him to leave.

- I have to ask you this question, Yebin – My brother began, placing both hands on the steering wheel – I noticed when you arrived, you know, when I took you to my place, you were so uncomfortable first in his presence. You can’t hide those things from me Yebin. I spent nine months in our mother’s womb right next to you. 

- I know, Yejoon – I was fearing the question he was going to ask

- I want to know if you still have feelings for him, Yebin. 

- I don’t know – I answered honestly – I don’t know. 

- You don’t want to tell me what happened between you two that made you two break up, I can respect that – He said calmly – But I can’t just unsee how sad you looked during this weekend. 

- I’ll be fine – I smiled – I just think it’s a little bit hard to get over someone after all this time

- I think the same – He agreed – I tell you, he hasn’t seen anyone since you broke up

Of course he hasn’t. But he did have to see more people WHILE we were together, right?. ‘So you haven’t told me why he’s living with you now’, I told my brother. ‘Not long after you guys broke up he came to my place telling me he was feeling way too lonely, and since we’re friends we could maybe move in together’, he shrugged, ‘Economically, it’s more convenient so I agreed’. I nodded. 

 

When I got home, I had a text message from Mr. Zhang. I had given him my number on Friday, just in case he needed something, as he’s new to the city. It read, ‘Hope you could smile more these days. See you on Monday!’. I smiled. I wonder how does his girlfriend look like. Maybe she looks like my friend from Chongqing, they say the most beautiful Chinese women come from Chongqing. 

 

The next morning I got up early. I went to the school to check if I had cardboard and other materials to make a board game to play with my students in the afternoon. Since the school during the morning is open for adults, it was very quiet, so I stayed there cutting paper and drawing, so I could advance on my duties, so as to arrive later and less to do. For some reason, I had woken up happy and filled with energy. 

I had put on my headphones to listen to some music, when I felt the light source of my office had somehow dimmed. I lifted my head, and saw Zhang Yixing standing in front of me, staring at what I was doing. ‘It makes sense that you studied an art major’, he said. I nodded. ‘It would have been really sad to draw poorly after four years’. We both chuckled. I heard a feminine voice calling his name. I fixed my hair. ‘This is Wang Mei’, he said, as a really beautiful Chinese girl entered my office, ‘This is my girlfriend’. She nodded and smiled. ‘Hi!’, she waved cutely. 

- Hi, I’m Kim Yebin – I smiled – Mr. Zhang has said so many things about you

- I know – She smiled – I don’t want him to let you think you can be friends with him – She said blatantly 

- Alright – I said, as Yixing mouthed ‘I’m sorry’

- So what are you guys doing here? – I asked them

- I just came to pick up my wallet, I left it here during the whole

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter