Cracked Voices

Restless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After that beautiful date, Joonmyeon and I went out for a couple of times, and sometimes ended up spending the night at my place. We don’t have anything serious, really. I want to play things by ear, maybe fool around a little. For the one time in my life I feel I’m being the one who wears the pants so it’s refreshing to live like this. I feel more secure now. 

 

It was one of those days, when after bringing me breakfast in bed, Joonmyeon left right after I went back to sleep. When I woke up it was 2.15. I had to take a shower and then head to the school. ‘Are you going to work now?’, Joonmyeon asked over the phone.

- Yes, I should be there at three. I have to work on my lesson plans. And I should help Mr. Zhang with his spelling on the monthly essay – I answered

- Monthly essay? 

- Yeah, our boss came up with that on a desperate attempt to know what we do in our classrooms – I explained – You know, apart from the regular curriculum. So we have to write about our motivations and expectations for the month and all.

- I see. Want me to pick you up? 

- What’s the plan? – I smiled.  

- Maybe we could visit my old apartment. I still have your copy of the keys. 

- Maybe be could – I answered calmly – I have to go.  See you later!

- See you later Miss Kim!

Honestly, going to his old apartment, the single idea of going back there made me feel an empty sensation on my heart. But I will go. I mean what’s that worst that can happen, right? 

 

‘I thought you’d never arrive’, sighed Yixing, who had been waiting for me inside my office. I chuckled, stretching my hand to receive his essay. ‘Can I stay and watch you check it? I want to know where I make the most mistakes’, he requested so politely that it was hard for me to refuse. 

- Here, you see? – I circled a poorly spelled word – I know it sounds like a ‘t’ but you should use this other letter instead

- I’m sorry – He said

- No reason to be sorry – I smiled. He nodded energetically and I smelled his perfume – That’s it – I said – You don’t have many mistakes, Yixing. Your Korean is getting really good!

- Really? – He asked

- Really! – I answered – I’m proud of you.

Yixing smiled and his dimple marked up. ‘I can invite you to have hot pot with me tonight’, he offered, ‘My girlfriend is having a party with her friends from college’. 

- College? I thought she was already a professional – I said

- Yes, she is. But she studied here in Seoul so she has so many Korean friends 

- I see. Do you have any Korean friends? – I asked him

- Only you – He smiled.

For some reason I found myself blushing, and when I looked at him, he was blushing as well. ‘I can’t go to eat hot pot today, Yixing I’m sorry’, I told him, ‘Someone will come pick me up after work’.  He nodded slowly. 

- You have a boyfriend now? – He asked 

- No, I don’t – I smiled 

- But there’s a guy who comes to pick you up. He’s not your boyfriend.

- No, he’s not. 

- I see – He smiled – Maybe we can go out the four of us then, Mei, him and us two.

‘That’d be nice’, I smiled. 

 

After we did our duties, I stayed at my office and waited for Joonmyeon. He was late, fifteen minutes late, when I heard his voice laughing nearby. I waited for two more minutes and then I stood up to try to find him. He was talking happily to Minyoung. When he saw me, he shook his head nervously. Minyoung smiled and winked at me, and put her phone on her pocket. I felt weird. 

 

And by weird I mean extremely uncomfortable.

 

I didn’t want to go to have hot pot now. I actually didn’t want to go home with Joonmyeon either. I had the worst feeling ever, to be honest. 

 

‘Ready to go?’, Joonmyeon asked me, smiling brightly. I took a step back and I bumped Yixing. ‘I invited her and you to have hot pot with me and my girlfriend today and Yebin said yes’, he said. Joonmyeon looked at me and I nodded, unable to say anything else. 

 

When we got to the restaurant – which was the same I had gone with Yixing before, Mei was waiting for us, face stuck on her phone. ‘You took so long’, she complained. Yixing smiled apologetically. We greeted her, but she didn’t even pay attention. She was to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter