Chapter XIII.

The Fallen

Minghao leads them to a white building, down a pristine hallway, to a closed door.

With a glance at the six people trailing him, he smiles and pushes open the door.

Jeonghan’s room is small, but impeccably neat and sparkling clean.

Minghao picks up a small journal and opens it to a bookmarked page.

“Dear Jisoo,” he reads aloud, drawing the attention of everyone, especially Jisoo.

“Jisoo? Me?” he whispers, eyes unfocused, as if in a trance.

“Dear Jisoo,” Minghao continues in a soft voice. “I don’t know how to put this, so I will be blunt. I know you like me a lot, as more than a friend, but after a while, I found that I have only ever loved you as a brother, at most.”

“W-what?” Jisoo stammers, collapsing onto the bed, dazed.

“I know the Board wants to dismiss me, and I will not try to stop them. I can only hope for a good life, a better life, in Hell, and that I will not be judged as a Fallen.”

Minghao pauses, and Soonyoung puts a hand on Jisoo’s shoulder.

“And you will likely hate me for it, but I cannot not tell you,” Jeonghan’s letter continues. “Ever since there was that mandatory Board meeting about the Emperor of Hell, I have not been able to get him out of my mind.”

Minghao stops and looks at Jun, who suddenly feels like joining Jisoo on the bed.

Slowly, deliberately, Minghao continues, “Because I have fallen in love with him.”

“NO!” Jisoo thrashes, and Soonyoung and Jihoon combined cannot hold him down.

Only when Chan joins does he calm down, sobbing his heart out for all the world to hear.

“I HATE YOU!” he screams at Jun, who is much too shocked to react.

“YOU KNEW!”

He had not known.

But Minghao is not done.

“If you truly love me, Jisoo, please let me go. Yours, Yoon Jeonghan.”

To Jun, it may seem like a cruel and ironic way to end a farewell letter, but the angels know, that is how Jeonghan ends every letter.

“Go,” Jisoo says in a calm but tremulous voice. “Get out of here, all of you.”

“Jisoo,” Soonyoung begins, but the murderous look in Jisoo’s eyes sends him away.

As soon as the last person, Seungkwan, has exited the building, the winds pick up.

Jihoon looks at Chan, who looks at Soonyoung, who looks at Seungkwan.

Jun looks at all of them in turn, very lost but with a foreboding feeling.

And then, to his alarm, the building implodes, collapsing in on itself.

The swirling wind collects the ruined structure and it down, into the Mortal World.

Where Mingyu stands, unaware of an instantaneous disaster coming, unfortunately right at him.

It must be fate, he thinks, as he is crushed beneath a once gleaming building.