Other Way Around

The Summer Everything Changed

27th July 2014

It had been a week since Taehyung had been in hospital. He was in a serious car accident and he was very lucky to be alive and conscious. He was admitted to a private hospital and would often get lonely since his parents only visited on Sundays and his friends could only visit when they were free. Hana, however, tried to visit him as much as she could. She tried visiting him everyday, and would make sure she spent a lot of time with him. She knew that he must have felt lonely in a room all to himself.

"I'd rather be in a public hospital, you know. There's no one to talk to when you aren't here and I get really bored..." Taehyung pouted, causing Hana to laugh. She couldn't deny that it was cute, even for his age.

Each day, he would ask about how her day was and what the weather was like, since he could not experience it himself. Even if he had a window close to his bedside, he said himself that it was definitely not enough information. Hana would come everyday to the hospital with a great description of what the weather was like. It was often so good that Taehyung could imagine being out there with her.

"The sun was out today for the first time this week. There was not a single cloud in the sky and summer was truly showing its true colors. There was also a nice breeze today. You could say that it was a great day to go out to the beach." Hana reported, looking down at her phone where she had taken notes of the weather. After making her weather report, she looked up at him and smiled. "How was your day, Taehyung?"

He did not reply, but instead let out a soft sigh. "Today sounded like another good summer day to spend with you."

Even if he was smiling, it was a smile that Hana did not like on him. It was a smile of guilt and regret and she hated it. Taehyung would often blame himself whenever Hana would come to the hospital in a tired or exhausted condition. Sometimes, he would say "Ah, you wouldn't be so tired if I weren't like this..." Sometimes, he'd even ask her to go home earlier to rest or not come by at all when she was tired. She refused his offer, of course. Hana loved visiting Taehyung, even if it meant she'd only get four hours of sleep a night.

It was very difficult for a University student, but she could cope with the determination she had. She knew that Taehyung was the one suffering the most right now. he could barely walk on his own and would need help just to get to the bathroom. He injured his leg pretty badly in the car accident and his illness was not helping him at all.

Today, Hana came as she always did, just looking more exhausted than usual. As soon as she walked into the room, a wide smile spread across her face. "Taehyung!" She hugged him as if she had not seen him in years. It was a tight yet gentle hug. When she hugged him, she'd notice how much weight he had lost since the time before the accident. "Have you been eating, Taehyung?"

He nodded like a child, pointing to the empty tray in front of him. "I eat all the time! I don't skip meals, I promise!"

Although this was supposed to be reassuring, it made her worry even more. Why was he losing weight when he was eating much more than his normal diet? That night, Taehyung asked Hana to tell him a bed time story. "Ah, Taehyung. I don't have any good stories.... The only stories I know are scary and I'd rather not talk about it..."

Taehyung chuckled, rolling his eyes. "Then tell me a story that has happened to you. Anything."

Hana shook her head, "Taehyung... I really have nothing..." She looked at the clock and realized it was already 12am. She had University the next day starting at 6am. "Taehyung, I'm sorry, but I have to go..." she quickly helped tuck him into bed, laughing when he pouted.

"I should be the one taking care of you, pretty."

"You always take care of me... I'll see you tomorrow, Taehyung. Good night."

She left a kiss on his cheek, grabbing her bag then leaving the room. Taehyung smiled, falling asleep after a while.

 

"Hana, I'm....I'm so sorry...."