Back Together

The Summer Everything Changed

20th July 2014

It has been exactly twelve days since Taehyung had ever mentioned Hana, but she had never left his thoughts. It had been ages since he last saw her or even heard her voice. He was convinced that she was now over him and probably found someone else in her life. She was a young, pretty and smart girl. Why would she stay with a leukemia-sick boy when she could get anyone she wanted? Every two days, Taehyung would visit the hospital to get checked up on every now and then. His doctor said that his disease was quite serious and he needs to be extra careful with his diet. Well, goodbye to all the junk food he enjoys so much.

These days, he has been finding walking much more difficult than before. It infuriated him. People in the hospital treated him like he was disabled, and it pained him. There was no way he wanted to be disabled and there was no way he wanted to be pitied. He hated the apologetic looks they all gave him everytime he would stumble or almost fall over. "I'm fine," he'd say, or "I can walk on my own." He was slowly becoming colder and colder. The sweet and kind Kim Taehyung was slowly disappearing and transforming into a rather mean and nasty boy.

He had distanced himself from the girl he loved and it was killing him. It hurt him so much. He was not sure of why he was distancing himself from her if he loved her so much.

 

Later that morning, Taehyung was taking a stroll in the park, holding a bottle of strawberry milk in one hand. He was reading the label of the flavored milk, and was not looking where he was going. He bumped into a smaller figure, who immediately bowed before letting out a gasp. It was Hana. Taehyung dropped his strawberry milk, letting it spill out onto the ground. Hana's eyes were widened and begun to water. "T-Taehyung..."

Without having to think twice, Taehyung avoided conversation and walked right past her again. He bumped his shoulder to hers, causing her to scoff. "Taehyung, why are you avoiding me? I-"

As Hana grabbed his hand tightly, Taehyung spun around with a frown. His behavior was so unfamiliar to her that it scared her. She was shaking in fear as Taehyung yelled at her, "Avoiding you? You're the one who did not call me or message me or even ask how I was doing! And you accuse me of avoiding you? Wow, Hana."

"I-I'm sorry, but-"

"I get that you don't want to date a loser suffering from leukemia. But at least let me know! Don't just leave me waiting for you all the time!" Even if he was raising his voice at her, he was also reflecting Hana's sorrowful expression. Hana just pulled Taehyung into a tight hug, letting out her sobs, "I-I'm so sorry, Taehyung... I'm so sorry...." she continued to cry, as Taehyung wrapped his arms around her slowly. "I'm sorry I made you cry, pretty. Please stop crying."

***********************************************************

 

Hana and Taehyung sat on the same bench with a bit of distance between them. After calming down from their continuous crying, they decided to talk about things calmly with some order. Everything was silent. The only thing that could be heard was the blowing of the wind and the rustling of the leaves. Taehyung stole a few glances at Hana who was fidgeting with her fingers nervously.

"I'm sorry for everything, pretty." he started, letting out a sigh, "I am such an idiot. But seriously, I missed you a lot. I couldn't sleep because of you. You haven't left my mind. Not even once."

"Take care of yourself more, you idiot." she responded, letting out a chuckle, "I missed you too, you know."

Taehyung smiled as soon as he saw a smile form on her face. He honestly missed spending time with her, being beside her. It had been so long since they last spent time together and although it was a little awkward, they enjoyed each other's silent companies. "Hana, come and eat out with me tonight. I'll make up for every mistake I made in the last few days."

 

***********************************************************

Hana excitedly threw on her favorite pink dress, remembering that Taehyung liked it when she wore pink. He had said that it really matched her skin tone and eye color. She smiled as she saw herself happy for the first time in so long. Even her spontaneous shopping sprees with Minah was not enough to make her happy when Taehyung was absent from her daily life.

As the doorbell rang, Hana rushed down the stairs with her bag over her shoulder. "Taehyung, that was quick--"

She almost dropped her bag as soon as she opened the front door. It was not Taehyung. It was a boy named Woohyun who went to her University. He was her partner for one of the assessment tasks and had grown closer to her while Taehyung was not there for her.

"Oh, are you going out somewhere, Hana? I'm sorry, I'll come back next time."

Hana slowly nodded, "Ah, yeah. I'm going out on a date with my boyfriend, sorry. But what brings you here so late?"

He put his hand into his pocket, taking out a USB stick. "I was going to give you the files now, but you didn't reply my messages..."

"Oh, right... Sorry about that. My phone has been acting strange lately. Sometimes I don't recieve messages until a day later."

Woohyun nodded, understanding her. He was kind. "Ah, that's okay. I'll just give it to you tomorrow, then? You seem to be busy right now."

Hana nodded apologetically, "Thank you so much, Woohyun! I'll see you tomorrow, then." And after a quick goodbye, he drove off.

Hana sat back down on the lounge chair, waiting for Taehyung to arrive. Even after 2 hours, still no signs of Taehyung. She called him, texted him. No replies. Hana sighed in disappointment, taking off her shoes and changing back into her pyjamas. "Another day, another disappointment..."

She took out the ice cream from the fridge and begun eating as she the television. "I can't believe he stood me up." she mumbled, scooping icecream up to . "That idiot..."

One hour into the movie, her doorbell rang again. She rolled her eyes, setting down the icecream tub on the table. She opened the front door, still expecting to see Taehyung's face. Instead, it was Jin. Jin, who was Taehyung's friend.

"Let me guess, he couldn't make it and he's sorry?" Hana dropped her sarcastic tone when she saw how desperate Jin looked. "What's wrong? Did something happen?"

"It's Taehyung.... he got into a car accident."