Prologue

The Summer Everything Changed

Present Day

"It has been a year since you've left, and I still remember you so clearly."

The twenty two year old girl dropped herself onto the bench by the bus station outside her University. Seoul National University. She checked her watch with her cold, empty eyes. 12.30pm. It had been a year already. A year since the love of her life had disappeared from her life. And she was still not moving on.

The past twelve months had been painful for her. It was not easy to forget someone who gave you so much to remember. He was so young. A young man who could have lived a long and happy life. With her. Although the girl was torn, no tears were pouring out of her eyes. She was broken. Barely alive. She had enough of crying. She knew he wasn't ever coming back. And regardless of learning this the hard way, she still couldn't let go.

She moved her bag onto her lap when someone took a seat beside her on the bench. She had her earphones plugged into her ears, and continued to mind her own business. "Hey... Park Hana, is that you?"  Hana barely faced the stranger, making eye contact with them. It was another boy around her age. Maybe a little older. She recognized the boy to be her ex boyfriend from high school, Kim Namjoon.

"Oh. Yeah, it's me." she didn't smile back to him, his smile slightly faltering. "Anything wrong, Hana?" She shook her head. Ususally ex boyfriends would be either cold or rude to their ex girlfriends, but this was not the case with the two of them. Namjoon was still a kind man to Hana, regardless of their tough experiences.

Namjoon remembered Hana as the bright, bubbly beautiful girl whose smile lit up the whole room. Now, her eyes had dark circles under them, and she looked like she was going to break if anyone had laid a single finger on her. She looked so fragile, Namjoon was afraid of provoking her. "Had a bad day?"

"I'm having a bad life." she muttered, finally speaking up properly. Namjoon shuddered at her coldness. She had changed so much. Namjoon coughed awkwardly, trying to change the subject, "So how are you and your boyfriend now?"

Hana only glared at Namjoon. She remembered that they had bumped into him once at an amusement park. That night's memories flashed back into her mind, suddenly causing her to break into tears. Namjoon was so confused, he wanted to help comfort her. He put his hand on her shoulder, only causing her to slap it away. "Let....go of me...."

Namjoon frowned a little, "Hana... I'm sorry. I don't know what happened between you and your boyfriend, but I didn't mean to upset you." After a couple of minutes of sobbing and comforting, Hana finally stopped crying. Well, enough to make her talk. Namjoon asked for a complete explanation of what had made her cry, wiping away a tear on her cheek.

"It's a long story."

"Tell me everything. I've got the time."

Her face softened as she took a deep breath, ready to tell him everything. "It was on the first day of summer when I first met him."