First Day of Summer

The Summer Everything Changed

1 June 2014, 12:32pm

"It was the first day of summer when I first met you."

The light brown-haired girl stood at the bus station outside Seoul National University, biting her lip. She had been trying her best not to cry since she was out in public. She was lucky that she was the only one at the bus station at the moment. Just a few minutes ago, her boyfriend had broken up with her, explaining that he no longer loved her in the same way, making an end to their relationship. Although she agreed that the two of them should part, she couldn't help but feel so empty. They had been together since their last two years in high school, and their relationship was a rather happy one.

Like many couples, they held hands, went out together, and sometimes even studied together. After four years of a healthy and happy relationship, it was all gone now. Hana was a sentimental girl, and she could not believe that Kim Namjoon was no longer her boyfriend. She was waiting at the bus stop when she had seen her now ex-boyfriend walk out of the University gates with a different girl, his arm around her shoulder. He found a replacement already? It had been less than an hour since they broke up... Maybe that girl was the reason. Hana could get over her broken relationship with Namjoon in a couple of days, but now, she is not so sure anymore.

Hana was a kind and gentle girl, who had always doubted her value. Since she was a little girl, her parents would often go overseas for business trips, leaving her alone all the time. She had no siblings, which meant no company at all. Her parents offered her to live with her Aunt, but she did not want to burden any one, so in the end, she was alone. Although she knew her parents were busy people, she had started to feel that no one really loved her. Like no one had time for her. That was until Namjoon came into her life, but now he's no longer with her.

Someone suddenly bumped into Hana, suddenly crying out the tears she forced herself to hold in. She quickly wiped away her tears, sniffling, turning away from the stranger. Lucky enough, it was only her and that stranger at the bus stop. "I'm sorry, are you alright? I didn't mean to bump into you... I wasn't looking where I was going..." Hana turned around to face the apologizing stranger who turned out to be a man around her age. He was, without a doubt, very attractive. He was a little tall, maybe a head and a half taller than Hana.

He looked at her with concern when he saw the tear marks on her face. "Why is such a pretty girl like you crying? Was it because of me?" he pointed to himself as Hana shook her head in response. "No, it's alright. It's not your fault.." she smiled a little before slightly bowing, but before she could leave, the stranger held onto her arm. "The bus comes in ten minutes. Why don't you tell me what happened before it arrives?"

Hana looked at him strangely, wondering why he had wanted to know so much. Maybe he needed to make sure it wasn't his fault? Hana shrugged and followed the boy to the bench. She explained what had happened briefly, pausing a couple of times, trying not to cry again. She left out the part about her parents, and decided to only tell him about Namjoon. She did not want him to pity her too much. She saw that the boy was frowning in Namjoon's direction when Hana had told him that he was sitting at the bus stop across them with his arm still around another girl. "Look, I know I've just met you, but that guy is stupid for leaving you."

The bus arrived shortly, so the friendly stranger let out his hand to her, offering a handshake. "Oh, by the way, I'm Kim Taehyung. It was nice meeting you, pretty." Before Hana could even respond to him, he quickly climbed onto the bus, disappearing a few moments after. All she was left with was a good memory of the kind stranger who was willing to hear her out, taking some time to listen to what she had to say.

Hana sighed as she continued to wait for her bus. She felt her lips slightly curl up at the ends, causing her to laugh a little. She didn't expect to find herself smiling before reaching home that day. All thanks to this friendly stranger, she could go home without looking depressed or pitiful. "I hope I'll be able to see you again, beautiful stranger."