Chapter 02

Insurrection

“Niel, we should not get too close to all that commotion by the fountain. I don’t want to risk getting caught because of your dumb curiosity.”

Byunghun scanned his surroundings carefully, taking notice of all the young men and women that seemed to be around his age. They were so young, but they were actively participating in this protest. What good would come out of this?

“But hyung, look at the leaders of this protest! They look really cool.” Niel awed at the sight in front of him. Three young men were standing on top of the ledge of the fountain in Liberation Square, dressed in black with bright colored hair.

The one leading the protest was wearing a sleeveless shirt, revealing his multiple tattoos across his arms. His hair was dyed a seemingly yellow color that did not seem natural at all, it nearly appeared to be bleached. He was calmly leading the crowd with the use of a megaphone. His voice was deep and caught the attention of many bystanders.

“We have given the committee our demands. We will be listened to. Friends, the time has come for us to prepare for the final step in our plan.”

The crowd yelled out passionately, gaining excitement from their leader’s words. They all seemed anxious for whatever their plan was. They were pumping their fists to the sky, yelling out random things that Byunghun could not understand at all.

Looking around, Byunghun saw another person standing off to the side with a baseball bat. This person was obviously taller than Byunghun, but his face gave off the appearance of a child. He was swinging the baseball bat around, as if he was practicing. His hair was dyed half black and half red. It was a strange combination.

Finally, Byunghun looked over to the last person standing atop of the ledge of the fountain. He was a fairly handsome man, probably no older than Byunghun. His arms were crossed as he looked throughout the crowd, and it seemed as if he was searching for someone. His hair was dyed a dark red and much to his dismay, Byunghun found him attractive.

“That guy with the red hair is Chunji. Rumor has it that he used to be part of the elite, like us.” Niel’s voice whispered to him and Byunghun let out an audible gasp.

“What is he doing here now? He doesn’t have the appearance of a rebel at all. He looks like a pretty boy that we would have seen at school or something.” Byunghun kept his voice low, just in case anyone else were to overhear them.

“That’s the problem. No one is completely sure what happened to him and his family. They just disappeared one day and then he started showing up at protests.” Niel spoke with a serious tone, making Byunghun believe that maybe Niel and Chunji had met before in the past. Perhaps Byunghun met Chunji before in the past as well, but as far as he could remember, the young rebel was not familiar at all.

“You two seem new here. I don’t think I have ever seen you at a protest before.”

Byunghun’s eyes widened when he noticed that Chunji was no longer standing at the fountain, but rather right in front of him. The rebel tilted his head to the side, inspecting the two elites closely. Byunghun glanced over towards Niel, who had stepped behind him to hide a bit. He was scared.

“We are new to the area, so we just wanted to see what all the commotion was about.” Byunghun was surprised when he spoke without stuttering. But the fear was still evident in his voice.

“Why would you elites be interested in what the rebels are up to? You are definitely not in the right territory.” Chunji nearly growled, a frown making its way onto his face.

“We are not elites! We are just here to watch and observe what happens here today. We don’t mean any harm.” Niel’s voice rang from behind Byunghun, trembling slightly.

“I am not a fool. I could tell you two were elites the moment you stepped into Liberation Square. Just look at your clothes. These designer labels are too expensive for any normal person to buy. Only elites can afford these brands.” Chunji crossed his arms and it was that moment when Byunghun noticed a gun holster attached to Chunji’s hips.

Chunji had a gun. He had a weapon that he could use whenever he wanted to.

“So what if we’re elites? What are you going to do to us?” Byunghun tried his best to glare through his sunglasses at the rebel in front of him, but was only met with a heartless smirk.

“Let’s see your faces. Take off those sunglasses.” Chunji took one step closer and Byunghun instinctively stepped backwards.

“Fine.” Byunghun quickly took off his sunglasses and stared straight at the rebel.

Chunji’s eyes widened for a moment, a look of recognition appearing on his face before his smirk widened even more.

“Lee Byunghun, what a surprise it is to see you. Does your father know you are here right now?” Byunghun held his breath, too scared to speak.

“I’m going to assume this is Ahn Daniel behind you then. I know you do not have many companions, Byunghun.” Niel peeked from above Byunghun’s shoulder, his mouth agape with shock.

“Since I am feeling extra generous today, I will not tell anyone that you two are here. You are lucky I am in a good mood.”

Letting out a relieved sigh, Byunghun nodded and looked over at the rebel with a smile.

“Thank you, Chunji. We will leave if you want us to.” At this, Chunji shook his head and took another step forward.

“I should give you a parting gift. I have been waiting a long time to meet you, you know. However, I never imagined meeting you a protest.” Chunji smiled back at Byunghun and the elite could feel his face begin to heat up with embarrassment. 

Without a word, Chunji stepped forward once more and looked down at Byunghun. His smile quickly faded as he grabbed the back of Byunghun’s neck, inclining forward in to whisper into his ear.

“Tell your father that Lee Chanhee sends his greetings.”

Pulling away slightly, Chunji’s smile appeared once more before he leaned down, pressing his lips against Byunghun’s. The rebel chuckled softly when he felt Byunghun stiffen for a moment. The kiss seemed to last for minutes before Chunji finally released Byunghun, still smiling.

“See you around, Byunghun. You too, Daniel.” With a wave, Chunji walked back over to the fountain, standing right next to the rebel holding the baseball bat.

Byunghun brought a hand up to his lips, still feeling a bit dazed after receiving a kiss from the young rebel. He blushed when he realized that he actually liked the kiss, even though Chunji was a criminal.

“Let’s go, hyung. We should get back home.” Niel grabbed Byunghun’s arm and quickly dragged him away from Liberation Square and the protest.

But now the thought plagued Byunghun’s mind. Who exactly was Lee Chanhee and what did he have to do with his father? 

--

A/N: Yay! Another update! Please comment and/or subscribe and have fun reading?Also, sorry in advance for any grammar errors or misspellings~