Chapter 01

Insurrection

“Did you hear what happened today in Liberation Square?”

“Yes, I was informed this morning. Was it those rebels again?”

“Of course. It is always the rebels that are up to no good, what do you expect from them?”

Lee Byunghun sighed while he eavesdropped on his father’s conversation with his mother. Though he had just turned eighteen a few weeks ago, his father still deemed it necessary to treat him like a child. The only way for Byunghun to discover news about the outside world was to eavesdrop on conversations he wasn’t allowed to hear.

It was all because of what people liked to call “The Rebellion” which had started a few years ago.

Byunghun was not exactly sure what had caused The Rebellion, but he knew that it was causing a lot of trouble for his family and city. At first, no one gave attention to the young men and women that called themselves “rebels”. However, they quickly made their voices heard after committing many acts of violence against innocent people throughout the city. These acts of violence were a cry for help, according to some sources. These rebels were only trying to help stop the spread of poverty by bringing awareness.

“I saw the messages they left at Liberation Square. They are going to start taking hostages unless you and the committee accept their offer.”

Byunghun peeked through the doorway after hearing his mother’s words. She was standing face to face with her husband, Byunghun’s father. Her arms were crossed and a frown was etched across her face. She sounded tired, but also worried.

“I know, I know. But it is not like I can just give them 300 million without question. We cannot take them seriously just because they made a tiny threat, dear.” His father’s words were stern, but Byunghun could still hear the annoyance behind them.

“They threatened to take our son away. Our only child! How could you call that a tiny threat?” Byunghun’s eyes widened when he heard his mother yell. He leaned in closer to the door, trying to hear more of the conversation.

“You think Byunghun is actually in danger? He is under so much protection right now. He always has at least two guards with him, so do not start overreacting. I will never let anything happen to him.” His father sighed and glanced at the slightly opened door, frowning.

“Lee Byunghun, if you are eavesdropping again, you will be in some serious trouble.” Hearing his father’s voice, Byunghun quickly shut the door and ran down the hall, towards his room. He sighed as he climbed into bed, pulling the covers over his head.

There was no way that the rebels could ever kidnap him. He was practically the most protected person in the city and he could not remember the last time he was able to go out in public without having multiple guards with him. Even when he graduated high school, there were men lurking in the shadows that worked to protect him.

But why the large amount of money? What could 300 million possibly do for those that are in poverty?

Byunghun was not exactly a genius, but as the only son of a wealthy business man, he knew how to handle his money. This is why he knew that 300 million would not make any of the problems disappear. So what purpose does this money serve exactly?

Letting out a quiet yawn, Byunghun rapidly shook his head and tried to relax his mind. He did not have to worry about things like this. He just had to focus on what was to come tomorrow. And with that, Byunghun his side, quickly falling asleep soon afterwards.

He was completely oblivious to the pair of eyes watching him from his window.

X

“Rise and shine, hyung!”

A loud voice resonated within Byunghun’s bedroom and he groaned as he was awakened, trying to hide his head under his pillows.

“Lee Byunghun! Get up!”

The voice yelled out again, but Byunghun made no move to get out of bed. The owner of the voice huffed, tugging and pulling at the blanket’s covering the young man.

“You are allowed to leave the house today, so let’s go!”

Sitting up in bed slowly, Byunghun rubbed his eyes and let out a loud yawn. He scratched his cheek as he finally opened his eyes to see who has woken him up.

Ahn Daniel.

“Who let you into my room, Niel?”

The said boy only shrugged with an innocent grin appearing on his face. Ahn Daniel, better known as Niel, was probably Byunghun’s best friend. They had been friends since they were in diapers because of the merging of the companies owned by both their fathers. In a way, Byunghun and Niel were also future business partners because of the expectations that they would both be taking over the companies.

Niel was a scrawny, yet tall boy that had just turned seventeen a few months ago, but he still acted like a child. He had wide eyes that made him seem as if he was in a daze and had thick pouty lips, resembling a fish of some sort. He was relatively friendly with everyone he met, almost a bit too friendly in Byunghun’s opinion.

“Hyung, you look different. You dyed your hair again?” Niel took a closer look at Byunghun’s hair, examining it closely.

Byunghun ran a hand through his now blonde hair and tried his best not to glare at the younger boy.

“I dyed it a few days ago because I felt like it. Now, what exactly do you want to do today?”

“Let’s go to Liberation Square, hyung! I heard there will be a protest there today and I really want to experience one for the first time!” Niel grabbed onto Byunghun’s shoulders and shook the half-awake teenager quickly, trying to emphasize his desire to go.

“Liberation Square? There is no way I will be able to go there after what happened yesterday, Niel.” Shaking his head, Byunghun stood up from his bed and stretched his limbs while walking towards his bathroom, Niel quickly following behind him.

“But hyung! No one has seen your dyed hair, right? I am sure no one will even recognize you. All you need is some sunglasses and a beanie to cover it all. I’ll wear a disguise too!” Niel tugged on Byunghun’s shirt as he started to brush his teeth, pouting slightly.

“Yah, Ahn Daniel. If we get caught near a protest, we will both be in a lot of trouble, you know that, right?” Byunghun brushed his teeth quickly, glancing over at the other boy.

“That is why we use disguises! We will not get caught, I promise.”

After thinking for a few moments, Byunghun sighed and nodded at Niel. Using disguises actually seemed like a good idea, so why not give it a try?

“Okay, we will go. I will meet you downstairs when I am done getting ready. Do not tell anyone where we are going.”

With a gleeful grin across his face, Niel left the bathroom, leaving Byunghun to think about what he had just agreed to do.

Hopefully, nothing would go wrong at Liberation Square. 

--

A/N: Hi, this is my first ChunJoe fic and I'm really excited as to how things will play out. Chunji will be appearing in the next chapter, for those who are wondering! So, please comment and/or subscribe and have fun reading! Also, sorry in advance for any grammar or misspellings~