Encounters (Yuki)

Yuki

I walked out of the library, feeling satisfied that I had finally got the books that I had been longing to read. The weight of my backpack was hurting my shoulders. I hit my own shoulders, hoping to get some relief. My hair was starting to get wet in the rain. I hadn't brought my umbrella. Because to me, umbrellas did more harm than good. It might keep you dry, but it's so hard to find a place to dry it after you get under a roof. And sometimes, you lose it. And then you have to get a new one. And so on. I guess it's not really a problem. I was just too lazy. 
I felt dizzy after long hours of dehydration in the library. I didn't like drinking water in the library. Or breathing loudly. The library is a place for quietness, and I didn't likely the weird sound I make when I gulp down water. Or breath loudly. 
Maybe I'm a sad, over-analysing pessimist. 
I walked towards the nearest convenience store and grabbed a bottle of water and a bag of chips. I stood in the long queue. I was almost at the till when I saw a familiar figure in front of me. It was the guy from Physics. It was the-guy-who-ruined-my-lunch-on-my-first-day-in-school. Surprisingly, his face was covered in bruises and wounds. He looked a bit angry and was tapping his foot impatiently as he was being served at the till. On the till was some band-aids, a bottle of water and a roll of tissue paper. He rushed out of the store as soon as the cashier returned his changes. It was my turn now. I placed 1500 yen bills on the till and quickly exited the store without collecting the change. 
I could hear the cashier shouting "excuse me" from behind. 
I scanned for the-guy-who-ruined-my-lunch-on-my-first-day-in-school in the crowd. I saw his head somewhere in the crowd and started moving towards him. I tapped on his shoulder. It was a stranger who looked at me. 
"Sorry", I said and started looking for him again. The crowd decreased somewhere along the footpath. It was dark and I couldn't see anyone's face properly. I stopped walking and opened my water bottle and drank. My lack of stamina wasn't ever useful, except during P.E. when I could pretend I was sick and out of breath so that I wouldn't be forced to run 200 miles. I was breathing heavily. I looked at the small building in front of me. There was a flight of stairs. And coincidentally, the-guy-who-ruined-my-lunch-on-my-first-day-in-school happened to be sitting on the stair. 
After all that running after him, I hesitated approaching him. I took one deep breath and took a step along the stairs. He looked at me, then looked away at the wall. I kept walking upstairs. He started frowning at the wall as if it was an old enemy who always badmouthed him. 
I had no idea what I was going to do. I felt so stupid and clueless. Why did I follow him if I didn't know what I wanted to do?
I almost extended my hand forward, asking for a handshake, but eventually decided against it. I sat down beside him. He still didn't look at me. A plastic bag with band-aids and tissue papers was in front of him. I opened it and took the band-aids. I pulled some tissue from the roll and wiped the skin around his wounds. He twitched and clenched his jaws. Maybe it was because I did it in a brash way, for I was wondering why the hell I was tending to a stranger's wounds and not touching his face with care. I took out a piece of wet wipes from my backpack and cleaned his face. I opened the band-aids and stuck it onto the wounds. 
"Ummm" I stammered. "I am not much of a medic so I hope that will do." 
He smirked. I felt hot in the neck, embarrassed. He still didn't talk. 
"Do you live here?" I asked. He nodded. 
"Errr.. It's not like I'm a stalker. I just happened to see you at the store and you looked errr... not good. So I followed you. Ummm... I couldn't help it, I guess. I'm rambling, aren't I?" 
He smirked again. I stood up. 
"I'll be going then" I said, and started walking downstairs. 
Unexpectedly, I heard him coming down the stairs and felt his hand against my shoulder. And then his hand was holding mine. I tried to hold inside my surprise. 
"Let me thank you properly". His voice was deep. He didn't look at me when he said it. I doubt he looked at me even once.