Letter #6

Letters to Mr. Pen Pal [EDITING]

Holy ,

 Let me just savor this moment because did Choi Youngjae just agreed to be friendly with me? To be civil with me and hold back his sharp tongue (well… pencil, I guess in this case, but details)? I’m beyond touched. Just… whoa. I don’t know what I was expecting as a reply, but it was certainly way different that.

Let me just leave some space so that I can savor the moment.

 

 

 

Okay. I savored it. Let’s continue where we left off.

In all honestly, you’re so full of surprises. First, being tired of fighting all the time & agreeing to be friends with me. Then, you want me to do an oath about not revealing your hidden technique, talent, whatever it is. Frankly, I don’t care about that but just for the sake of it, I’ll do it anyways.

(I, Mark Tuan, promise that I will not reveal Choi Youngjae’s hidden technique about being able to roll his eyes until he is in space. In case that I do, Choi Youngjae is permitted to hunt me down and make me do whatever he wants. In case that I try to get away with it, Choi Youngjae is given permission to stalk me down and label me as a “liar” and “traitor”. In case that in anyways I defend myself with a good comeback, Choi Youngjae is allowed to give me a piece of his mind. I will not make any attempt to defend myself and in case if I do, then you are permitted to call whoever to join you. I double cross my heart and I solemnly swear (that I am up to no good. Get it?) in the name of the great cosmic power that you have my permission to do so.)

 Now this. I mean, the sarcasm was to be expected (how to not?), but wanting to be a writer? It clicks. I can easily see you writing nonstop for hours until you collapse of exhaustion. I see you as someone independent and relatively quiet around others that aren’t too close to you so you just sit around anywhere, constantly writing. I’m probably more or less close to the truth, seeing as to how all of your letters are ripped from a notebook or something. I won’t lie. It’s nice to see that your opening up to me slowly after so many letters sent. It’s sort of fulfilling in a way.

And yes, I like writing to the extent that I write for fun sometimes. My English teacher often does this group exercise (don’t cringe); she divides us into four people and hands us a paper to write one. She then proceeds to explain the exercise, where person A starts writing a sentence and has to pass it to person B to continue with the story. Person B passes it to Person C, and Person C also passes it to Person D. We continue passing it to each other until time is up. Usually we have to read our story afterword, but that’s not my point.

I usually do this exercise with Jaebum when we’re bored. I don’t do it with Jackson because he’s never been a fan of books and writing in general, but he’s always the one that laughs the most when we finish one our random stories. I think they don’t suspect anything about it when I randomly bring it up, but I also think they wouldn’t mind even if they did know. It’s just one of those things that you like to do but no one bothers to ask about it.

As for reading, I can’t say I’m a big lover. I mostly read books I’m assigned to read for school or because someone, usually Jaebum or some classmate, recommended me a book. One of the few novels I’ve read that I enjoyed reading and that left me thinking was To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee. It’s a slow read but it all leads up eventually to that one giant bomb near the end, the for fancy words, that leaves you almost dumbstruck. Yes, it was a topic that kept being brought up in the novel but to be completely honest, I didn’t know what I was expecting. It’s a great read over all and if you haven’t read it, it’s definitely a must. I highly recommend it.

I’m sorry, but what’s this about a reaction? I’m curious as to your opinion about that matter.

 

 

Ah, but the thing is, we probably will. Our high schools are neighbors and we have to walk to school in the same direction every morning. The chances that I’ve been passing you by all this time without knowing it is very high.

 

 

From

Mark Tuan

 

(•⊙ω⊙•)

 

Dear Jinyoung,

I feel as if writing to you that previous letter helped me clear out my mind. Thank you for that, but… Do I rly have to answer that? Because I think that you get it without me having to explain it to you.

Or do you want me to wait outside your school and say it to your face?

( ;) )

 

 

 

From yours truly,

B.B