Letter #1: Sinceramente de...

Letters to Mr. Pen Pal [EDITING]

Nice to meet you, Mark Tuan,

I’m your pen pal until the end of the semester. My name? You’ll know when you finish reading this card.

Frankly, I think this whole pen pal thing is just BS. I’m only writing to you because our teacher forced us to do it. He literally said it wasn’t for points but still made us do it because if we didn’t do it, then he would fail us. Apparently, he’ll be checking if we did send something to our dear pen pal. Sometimes I wonder why teachers in general make us do these types of things if it won’t serve us of use later in our life. Like group projects for example. It’s not that I don’t like them, but I just don’t see the point of them. Teachers know there will always be that one lil’ doing absolutely nothing and still give them a passing grade. It’s unfair for the person that did all the work don’t you think?

But enough about that, let’s talk about me! :D

Okay, so considering you’re a stranger to me, I’ll tell you only the basic things about me just in case you turn out to be some kind of psychopath. No offense, I’m just taking extra precautions. This is pretty shady, and I don’t even know if your real name is Mark Tuan so yeah, I hope you’re not mad. C:

  1. I’m a potato with feelings. But who isn’t really? I mean, aren’t potatoes just fascinating in a way? The way it’s so oval and brown on the outside? I think the same can be said about humans. Before you start thinking I’m a huge weirdo (more than I already am), I have a reason for thinking that. On the outside, a person may look a certain way (in this case brown and dirty) but when you get to know them, they’re actually really nice (in this case, tasty on the inside). See? It’s amazing how critical thinking can lead to this conclusion. Aren’t I amazing? LOL.
  2. I think I must’ve been a vampire in my past life. I can’t stand the sun or the heat or sweating for that fact. It’s gross, don’t you think? Maybe that’s why I need to go out and get a tan, so people won’t find out I used to be a vampire. Hah.
  3. I remember the day when my dad suddenly decided the whole house needed a makeover and made us move our furniture around, so he could paint. My mom is rather carefree, so she went with the flow and helped him paint. I didn’t because I felt like all the oxygen left my body and I struggled to get out the words. “B-But dad,” I managed to say. “I- I’m a f-fish! My r-room n-NEEDS to be blue! Otherw-wise I won’t s-survive!”

But my dad doesn’t think about these things, about the consequences that could happen, and he stared at me like he was the one that was needed oxygen. “But your room is red now.” He said pouting a little.

“I-It needs to be b-blue, dad!” I repeated, coughing a little. The pressure was far too great for my little lungs and I fell on my knees, hands on my throat.

“But it’s red now…”

It was around then mom interrupted us, her hand on my shoulder while her other hand was holding a brush. “Its okay, it’s purple now.”

I don’t know how my mother did it, but it felt like I could suddenly breathe again. The pressure I felt on my lungs and the dread I once felt was now gone thanks to her. I remember how I inhaled and exhaled deeply before hugging my mom and thanking her because if it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t be here.

This is based on a true story just in case. I’m not weird.

Well, anyways, do you know Spanish? I’m in the Spanish club and as you might’ve guessed, we learn how to speak it. It’s hard, considering there are many similar words in different countries that mean different things. For example, the term strawberry in Puerto Rico is fresa, but in Buenos Aires, the term for fresa is frutilla. Not only that, you have to be extra careful with what you say because one word might be a swear word in another country. For example, the word capullo is a flower, but in Spain, it’s an insult (stupid, imbecile…). If you ever do get to travel somewhere and you have to speak Spanish, stay in that place. ( :

 

Sinceramente de

Jae.

 

。◕ ◕。

 

Hello, Kunpimook,

Your name is a mouthful to say. Do you have some kind of nickname I could use instead of writing your name? Heck, I didn’t write it completely because it was so long (and just in case, don’t think dirty)! I hope you’re not offended because I really didn’t mean anything by it and I really hope we can be friends. Sort of, anyways.

Honestly, I don’t know what to say. I mean, usually I talk a lot with my friends (Choi Youngjae. Maybe someone in your class has him? Check that out for me please?) and they’re always telling me to shut up, but now that I have to put my thoughts in a paper, it’s like, so what now? What am I supposed to say? Am I supposed to be saying something about me and asking questions about you? Oh, am I supposed to be interested in someone I don’t really know? You feel me? I think I would’ve liked this project a lot more if the teacher didn’t force this on us, you know? I mean, he should’ve let us embraced the project on our own, and he definitely should’ve let us picked the person. I mean, it’s not like I know someone from your school, and even if I did, the purpose of this project is to get to know someone new.

I think Youngjae doesn’t like this idea. He’s a little more closed up than me but once you get him to open up to you, he’s a fun guy to be with. We’ve been friends since forever because our parents were best friends in high school, so naturally, we met because of them. It was hard trying to get Youngjae to open up to me. Like there were so many times I invited him to play with me, but he ignored me every single time. Won’t lie, it did hurt the first few times, but I got used to it with time… and I guess Youngjae did too because after like 100 attempts, he gave in to one of my invitations. I wouldn’t be exaggerating if I said that was like one of my happiest moments alive. Since then, it’s been history.

But, uh, yeah, getting back on track! I think Youngjae doesn’t like this idea. I mean, he prefers to be alone most of the time, and he tends to avoid human interactions if possible. He’s almost like a cat in that sense. Youngjae HATES group projects. He says he “doesn’t mind them”, but in reality, he does. Whenever I bring this up to him, he states that he just wants to seem polite (and it’s such a ty excuse) and not offend anyone with his opinion. The funny thing is though, people believe Youngjae when he says it, because no one knows him well enough as I do, to know it’s just a pathetic attempt to be neutral with everyone.

Seriously though, don’t tell this to him if you ever do get to meet him… but I think this is a good opportunity for him. I think the teacher doesn’t realize he’s forcing Youngjae to attempt at human interaction, but whatever, it’s for his good. In that sense, I’m grateful to the teacher because I don’t want my best friend to be a loner forever. C:

Oh gosh, did I seriously waste like 19 sentences (I counted them) on just Youngjae alone? D: I swear, I DO NOT HAVE FEELINGS FOR HIM SO DON’T GET ANY WEIRD IDEAS!

So, uh, what about you? Do you have any best friends or something?

 

Class is soon going to ring and I’m not satisfied with this card ): I have to write at least like three things about me according to the teacher so here’s my list:

  1. I have an alpaca plushie that Youngjae gave me, and his name is Leo
  2. I like Converse
  3. And uhhhhhhhh, I like cake :D

 

Sinceramente de,

Park Jinyoung

 


A/N: It'll get better I promise ;) 

Feel free to comment, subscribe & upvote! 

I hope it's worth the read? Enjoy!