002

Cogs of the Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One year later…

Falling over from a harsh push, the old man screamed frantically, struggling to get up and run only to find a wall behind him. Realizing he was trapped, he turned back to face the two colour eyed woman. Terror filled his eyes but she felt no sympathy whatsoever. Instead, she approached him calmly and grabbed him by the neck, holding him up into the air.

“I’m not gonna ask again. Tell me where those files are or I’m gonna have to take your life.” she growled.

“It’s in a safe secured away in the office building 2 blocks from here.” he struggled. “Now please, let me go. I still have a family-”

“Thank you. For your cooperation.” she whispered, cutting him off. Ignoring his last words, she gripped his throat tighter until the last breath left the body. His arms dropped to his sides and his head fell backwards. She released her grip and watched the corpse fall effortlessly onto the ground in an odd shape. But that didn’t bother her. She had watched too many deaths and killed too many people to be weary of it anymore. She jumped up onto a wall and then pounced her way up to the roof of the building on the other side. Scanning the radius of 2 blocks from her, she found the building that the old man was talking about.

“Zoom in.” she ordered and her left vision zoomed into the direction she was looking as if she had a pair of binoculars, only, she didn’t have any nor did it look that way.

“Scan.” she ordered again. Her right eye scanned the whole building and mapped it out for her. Her eye was giving her a map of where her destination is and her left eye was back to it’s original state of sight. She eyed the route to the building and immediately hopped from roof to roof to get there. It took her a matter of minutes to get there.

“36th floor.” she mumbled to herself. She quickly counted all the floors and found where she needed to go. Taking what looked like a laser pointer out of her belt, she pointed it up and clicked the button. A grappling hook emerged from within and launched itself through the air, hooking onto the very top of the building. Clicking the button once again, it slowly reeled her all the way up to the top, faster than any elevator. When she reached her floor, she clicked again and it stopped reeling. She made sure that there was no one on the floor before flicking her first left finger up, revealing an embedded blade underneath. She jabbed it into the glass window and made a perfectly round circle in it, making sure it’s big enough for her to hop right through. She pushed the glass through, opening a hole for her and jumped through. Carefully, she let go of the handle so that it’ll remain there when she needed to leave right after.

“Scan.” she ordered her eye, and with that, she found out that the safe was hidden behind a painting. Removing the painting, she found the metal safe and placed her ear against it. She listened attentively to the click of each turn of the knob and opened the door with ease. Taking out the documents, she pulled them out of the file folder and scanned through everything. When she was certain that this was the correct information, she closed the safe, put the painting back and went for her exit. She grabbed the glass disc on her way out, grabbing the handle of her hook and pieced the glass back as if she was never there. Clicking the button, the hook reeled her further up to the building until she was at it’s roof. She made sure to detach the hooks grip of the roof before leaving and hopped off the building to the nearest skyscraper next to her, slowly making her way back to where she came from.

Eventually, she approached a roof with a helicopter landing pad and many men waiting for her, including the big boss.

“On time as always, Sica. Do you have them?” the boss asked her. She replied with nothing and handed him the documents. “Great job. You have done me well tonight. Your work is much appreciated. You’ll get a day off tomorrow. Tonight, get a good rest.” She bowed as her way of thanks and watched him leave the roof first before she dared to do herself.

Sica made her way back to her room, hovering her left wrist over the sensor, only to find a familiar face waiting for her in her living room when she entered.

“Yo.” Jihoon grinned. She eyed him briefly, showing absolutely no emotion, before taking her face mask off, making her way inside. “As silent as ever. You don’t ever change do you.”

Heaving a sigh, she finally spoke. “What are you doing here Jihoon?”

“Dinner. Duh!” he exclaimed as if his appearance was self-explanatory.

“Where’s your date?” she questioned.

“Oh c’mon Ailee! You know I’ll be here whenever you successfully complete a mission. Tonight, you’re my date.” he laughed.

“I wonder what you’ll do when I fail one.” she mumbled.

“I’ll still come find you for dinner.” he smiled. “And besides, you’re too perfect to ever fail one.”

“I don’t think you should start getting so cocky. I may be created by you but all machines have their failures.” she retorted without raising an eyebrow.

“Yes. Yes. You’re always the smart one.” he laughed. “So, where would you like for dinner Miss. Lee?”

“That has been the 133rd time that I’ve told you not to call me that. Either call me Amy, Ailee or

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter