008

Cogs of the Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ailee hopped from building to building for her monthly scouting. She watched over the city, to make sure that the men behind the scenes weren’t causing any trouble in the streets. Her orders were to help look after them, and if they screw up, they must be annihilated, replaced, and all traces of evidence must be wiped clean.

“So far, so good.” she muttered to herself. Heading over to the road over, she watched as people trickled in and out of stores. A couple of them being theirs. They owned convenience stores, clubs, karaoke buildings, and even flower shops. In order to avoid suspicion, they required a large variety of shops to keep them in business. However, all their electronics and security cameras were all owned by their company, Cerebro, where all their data and files were automatically backed up to their company cloud in case anything happened.

A couple weeks had past since that mission. The yakuzas remained in Korea for the time being and Jiyong was discharged from the hospital. Needless to say, he still hated her guts, though, it wasn’t like she had any. CL had tried to persuade them to get along but he utterly refused. He hated the idea of needing to befriend something that didn’t give a damn about the human specimen. She was a monster to him. She was an object programmed to do as she was told and nothing more. She was different.

It wasn’t as if Jiyong’s hatred towards her bothered her in the least, though, it definitely made any collaborative work that much harder for her to complete whenever it involved him. There was one thing she didn’t understand: her very existence was for the purpose of killing and completing missions without a single hint of mercy. His very purpose as a part of the yakuzas is also to kill and complete missions without a single hint of mercy. If that’s the case, how different can they be? They play the same role, do the same thing, follow the same rules, dogs of similar people, but why does it give him every right to hate her for simply fulfilling her job?

In the end, it always led back to the same answer — her only viable and comprehensible answer — humans are complicated.

As Ailee was on her way home that night, she caught Jiyong tripping out of a bar, swaying left and right, throwing up, just to swing the glass, green bottle he held in the air and chug it. Her scanner notified her that he was drunk. There were two other men who accompanied him and tried to stabilize him, but he only pushed them away.

“You ers!” he slurred, “Get away from me!” He flailed his arms into the air, swinging the bottle around as if it would fly right out of his hands any moment.

“Let us help you! You’re too drunk to go back on your own!” one of the men tried to get close to him but Jiyong only lifted the bottle in the air and smashed it hard onto the ground, dampening the concrete with whatever was left in the bottle and surrounding the area with glass shards.

“ off!” he shouted, “None of you idiots would understand me! I tried so hard you know!” he turned to the railing behind him, gripped onto the bars and started throwing up again.

The other tried to approach him, “Hey-”

“I SAID OFF!” he cried, swinging his arm backwards lazily as if he would be able to swat a fly. “Go the away! I tried so hard but she doesn’t ever seem to notice me! Do you know how painful that is?!”

They tried again.

“Leave! I don’t need your pity!”

“But-”

“LEAVE ME ALONE!” he blurted. He tossed himself over the railing again and puked for the third time. Seeing him in such a deplorable state, Ailee was about to hop down until another familiar face came along.

“Hey, buddy,” Jr. looked over, “You alright?”

“Did I not just say to OFF?” Jiyong swung his arm at Jr.’s face, almost slapping him in the face but Jr. was able to dodge it easily with a simple step back.

“Dude, you should really-”

“Go away!” Jiyong spurted, “Must I repeat myself again, or shall I beat the living out of you in order for you to understand?”

At that moment, Ailee knew that she needed to intervene. Jiyong held his fists up to his face, and threw his first punch. Then the second. Then the third. By the fourth swing, Ailee has already gotten his fist clenched within her palm to stop him from making any more idiotic decisions. She punched the guy right in the gut, causing him to faint and slung him over her shoulder.

“Oh! It’s you!” Jr. smiled. “It’s been a whi-” but she had already left the scene. He looked at her jumping figure disappear into the distance as he felt his own eyes sparkle.

“So cool!”

~

Ailee quietly made her way back to Cerebro and laid him in his own room. Since he was one of the higher-ups of the yakuzas, he was given his own room. Quickly making a quick search of how to relieve drunkenness, she prepared a couple of hot towels and had him drink some hot tea.

That’s when he started muttering in his sleep.

“Please notice me…” he mum

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter