005

Cogs of the Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the next couple of days, it had been the same routine. Doing her morning jog, running into Jr, avoiding Jr, going back to her dorm, back out on the streets, meeting Taeyang at his part time jobs, and going back by the end of the day. But tonight was a little different. After such a long rest, she has, yet another mission to fulfil.

Ailee scanned through her given email, heaving a deep sigh. She needed to assassinate someone tonight because apparently there’s a military officer that poses as a potential threat to the big boss’s organization, destroying any other possible information or documents that he might possess as well.

That night, she waited until all the lights were out before heading her way into her target’s home. She crept through the master bedroom window and saw him there, sleeping soundly upon his bed next to his wife. From there, she exited the room back through the window, throwing in a hand grenade in there that released knock-out gas. When she was sure that most of the knock out gas has made it’s way out the window, she continued on with the assassination. With the two unconscious, it was easy for her to search to find any documents related to the organization.

Once her mission was completed, she headed out and left the way she came. On her way back, she overheard a person shouting at someone else to hand over their valuables. Two men had cornered a boy, threatening to hurt him with a knife if he didn’t hand over anything he had on him.

“Hey boys.” he called, having his hands up. “I honestly don’t have anything on me. Why don’t we just call it a night and walk this all off?” But the men didn’t want to hear it. They only drew closer with their knives, clearly wanting to hurt him. Seeing that the boy was truly helpless, Ailee turned around to go help him. In a blink of an eye, she easily knocked the two out and watched the boy, stand back and watch her. Realizing who he was, she gave a quiet sigh, wishing she never had to encounter him during a time like that. Eyeing him, she turned around to leave when his voice stopped her in her tracks.

“Wait!” Jr called to her. Turning around, she gave him her full attention.

“Thank you.” he told her. Ailee didn’t reply to his thanks nor felt the need to. Turning around, she left.

Next morning, she went for her morning jog but was stopped by Jr. Again.

“Where ya going today?” he asked her which she choose not to reply. “Why do you never answer me when I try to talk to you?” But that was a question she didn’t really like to answer either. All of a sudden, there was a little girl who was crying underneath a tree. Curious, Jr. went to go check out what’s wrong, making to drag Ailee with him so she doesn’t get a chance to leave.

“What’s wrong, little girl?” he smiled, kneeling down to match her height.

“My kitty’s stuck in a tree!” she cried.

“Why don’t I help you?” he offered, getting up and looking at the cat which stood frozen on a high branch. Jr jumped up, catching the first branch but struggled to get any higher. He just didn’t have the upper body strength to do so. Eventually, he let go, realizing he had no way of climbing the tree. Ailee looked at him with annoyance and got onto the first branch easily, careful not to make it look that she can climb trees much easier than how she demonstrated it to. Getting a grip of each branch, she pulled herself up and slowly made her way to the cat. When she reached there, she carefully grabbed the cat and carefully set herself down from branch to branch. Normally, she would be able to hop straight down from that height but in that kind of situation, it was best to not reveal anything about her being Sica.

“Thank you Unnie!” the little girl cried as she got her cat back. Bowing, the kid ran off. The other people who watched her climb that tree, clapped in amazement. They all surrounded her and complimented on her bravery of climbing so high up and making it safely back down. They all shook her hands and complimented on her skills, making her feel an unusual sensation of warmth. She felt her face warming up and by that point, she started to worrying. Thinking that her system was overheating, she immediately left the crowd to get back and find Jihoon to help her solve the problem. But when she found him and told him about the problem, he only laughed.

“You were feeling a sensation called being proud of yourself. You were happy that people were praising you so you started feeling warm. It’s only natural. Any human would’ve felt the same way.” he smiled.

“Then what about me feeling really hot headed? I thought I was going to explode!” she exclaimed.

“Was it when you were with Jr and he kept annoying you?” he figured as she nodded vigorously. “You were angry. Not one of the best emotions to experience but at least you’re learning.” he smiled.

“I don’t like that angry feeling.” she mumbled but he only patted her on the head.

“No one does. But we all feel this way anyways.” he told her sincerely.

“Humans are complicated. Feelings are complicated.” she concluded.

“Yes. Yes, they are.” he smiled.

~

“So…” Jr started the next day after finding her wandering through the streets. “Why do you always go back to the Cerebro Company Building everyday?”

“Why do you ask and why should I answer you?” Ailee questioned in return.

“I’m curious and you should answer me because you owe me.” he laughed, crossing his arms.

“How so?” she asked.

“If it wasn’t for me yesterday, you wouldn’t have gotten so much praise yesterday.” he pointed out.

“If you weren’t making a fool out of yourself, I wouldn’t have stepped in.” she countered, giving him a glare.

“Fine. I’ll give you that. But at least give me a name so I don’t have to constantly call you ‘Miss. Lee’, a name you clearly hate being called by.” he told her.

Giving him a glare, she heaved a sigh. “My name’s Amy - Amy Lee. But everyone calls me Ailee.”

“Ailee... Cute. It suits you.” he smiled. Upon hearing that, Ailee’s face flushed with heat the same way Taeyang made her feel when he mentioned the same thing. Trying to shake off the heat, she crossed her arms and averted her attention elsewher

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter