003

Cogs of the Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Night fell and Ailee was already in her black, skin-tight battle suit. She wore flats and had her long hair tied up in a pony tail. A face mask covered just under her eyes so that she was able to conceal her identity and be prepared for any poison or smoke that may affect her during the mission when she inhaled. On top of that, she slipped on a pair of black skin-tight gloves so that it would cover up any fingerprints she might possibly leave behind. If anyone were to look at her at that moment, they’d think she was perfect. Well trained, dressed to hide and will stop at nothing until the given mission was completed.

Opening the balcony door, she hopped off and landed onto the building right under her. Jumping from roof to roof with speed, she made it to the culprit’s house in a matter of minutes.

“Heat scan.” she ordered and her right eye did so. Scanning through the whole entire house, nobody appeared to be home. Using this to her advantage, she climbed down, picked the lock of the back door and made her way in. She carefully closed the door, and crept her way around the house. Quickly, she searched through drawers, cupboards, rooms and around objects, trying to figure out possible places that he may have hid them. She searched under carpets, scanned the floorboards and even went up to the attic, only to find nothing.

Looking around, she realized how dusty, dirty and worn down the place was. The walls were chipping and cracking, all the furniture has either been torn up or are breaking apart, the floor boards were starting to peel away and the ceiling looked like it could collapse at any given minute. However, Ailee was once again, not bothered by her surroundings. What was most important to her at the moment was finding those documents.

All of a sudden, the clicking of a turning door knob caught her attention. She gently closed the drawer she was searching through and tried to think of a way to escape. But she was on the second level and the back door she came in from was not an option. Leaving through windows was not an option either since most of them were boarded up shut. Not thinking twice, she ran up to the attic and hid there, making sure to bring up the foldable ladder and closing the hatch. She then put her ear against the floor to try and listen. When her ears finally focussed, she was able to hear two distinctive voices as they slammed the door behind them.

“Wher-ar ma buddies?” an older sounding voice slurred. “I want ma booze! Drink up!”

“Appa! You’ve had too much!” a younger voice scolded.

“Nonsense!” the old man replied. “You’re old man’s a smart one ya know.”

“Yes, yes.” the boy replied, clearly fed up.

“I’ll show that stupid man! He thinks he’s soooooo scary! But I stole something that’ll surely make them beg fer mercy! Ha ha!”

“Yes, yes.” the boy repeated.

“No boy. It’s in me jacket right now! If I brought that folder to the police, I’d watch his company CRUMBLE AND DIE! AHAHAHA!” A sound of loud rustling was heard as the man pulled out the folder and proved it to the boy.

“You actually stole this?” the boy exclaimed, grabbing the folder.

“Ha! And you thought I was lying! Just you watch! We’ll be in riches soon before you know it!” the old man laughed. This was when Ailee snapped. She opened the attic door and made her way down stairs.

“We have to bring this back!” the boy insisted to his father.

“No need.” Ailee interrupted, standing on the top of the stairs. The boy, looking no older than 20, stood there in shock while the man swayed his way over to her.

“Who’er you?” he asked, but she ignored the question.

“Give me the file.” she ordered.

“No way!” the boy pulled back, trying to reach for the landline. Catching the boy’s intentions, Ailee threw the dagger at the phone, destroying it and almost piercing into his hand.

“If you don’t want to die, give me the folder.” she threatened. He looked at her with fear but still stubbornly refused.

“Look girly. You will never touch that folder! Not if I can’t help it!” the old man cried. Unstably, he attempted to pounce on her but she just jumped over him and landed right in front of the son. The boy took a couple steps backwards, realizing that he had just been confronted with a pair of drastically different coloured eyes that he would never forget.

“Hand it over.” she continued. From behind, the man made another attempt but this time, she had a gun. She shot him in the stomach several times without making a sound since the silencer muted most of it. The son watched his father collapse and die, all without blinking an eye. All of a sudden, he felt his whole body go numb so he fell onto the floor.

“Appa…” was all that ran through his mind and it was all he continuously mumbled after that. It was only a matter of seconds until he passed out from the shock. Ailee observed as he collapse but didn’t care to do anything about it. Taking the folder from the boy, she left through the back door and locked it behind her.

Another mission, success.

~

The next morning, a loud racket was heard at the gates of the front building. Ailee lazily looked out the window to see a line of security guards towering over a guy who seemed to be trying to fight his way in. But due to the security guards large and muscular nature, the boy’s attacks did nothing to affect them and they did nothing to fight back. They just stood there, blocking his method of entrance. Ailee wasn’t able to see the boy until he took a step back. It was the same guy that she confronted last night. The son of a man whom she had killed mercilessly.

Not bothering to pay anymore attention, Ailee went back to bed. But the boy’s loud screaming was piercing right through her ears no matter how hard she tried to cover them up.

“Let me in!” he cried.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter